Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 12:58 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,948,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I do have to wonder why the status hasn't been updated to "pending".
Why do you think it isn't? No time to look it up again now... but I found it a couple weeks ago when this was first posted, and it was pending then....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 PM

898 posts, read 594,997 times
The listing on zillow does say pending. And as Diana says, LOTS of little steps that have to happen before the closing can happen. WHY they told the property manager they were moving out when they have no closing date is beyond me. I would have dropped off a move out letter on my way to pick up the moving truck. WHY they went and bought a couch in early March when they can't take delivery of it until at least mid April is beyond me. Close, then go buy a couch, AFTER you buy a washer/dryer AFTER the closing. Then again, if I'm looking to furnish a huge family room, I'm making a to-scale drawing of the room, door and window locations, outlet locations, and bringing that to the furniture store with me. Or make paper cutouts of the furniture that you can move around on the drawing....but that's me. I'll just show up as required after closing with my painting clothes.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Unless you want them double paying for their rent, or losing their deposit, they're required to give notice on their apartment. That's what responsible people do. That part is normal. The eviction notice isn't quite normal, but I'm not sure we're getting the whole story on that one.

Quote:
...but that's me. I'll just show up as required after closing with my painting clothes.
There you go. Good.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,961,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
The listing on zillow does say pending. And as Diana says, LOTS of little steps that have to happen before the closing can happen. WHY they told the property manager they were moving out when they have no closing date is beyond me. I would have dropped off a move out letter on my way to pick up the moving truck. WHY they went and bought a couch in early March when they can't take delivery of it until at least mid April is beyond me. Close, then go buy a couch, AFTER you buy a washer/dryer AFTER the closing. Then again, if I'm looking to furnish a huge family room, I'm making a to-scale drawing of the room, door and window locations, outlet locations, and bringing that to the furniture store with me. Or make paper cutouts of the furniture that you can move around on the drawing....but that's me. I'll just show up as required after closing with my painting clothes.
If it were truly in pending status, they'd have all contingencies met, mortgage commitment and a closing date.

It's true status is "Active - Under Contract - Continue to Show"

Last edited by ocngypz; 03-17-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
If it were truly in pending status, they'd have all contingencies met, mortgage commitment and a closing date.

It's true status is "Active - Under Contract - Continue to Show"
This is not what the words mean.

It's Pending! That means it's Under Contract. That means it is not Active... and no, they should not continue to show it.

It's Pending through all their contingencies. Until it closes.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,961,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

It's Pending! That means it's Under Contract. That means it is not Active... and no, they should not continue to show it.

Not up here in Yankee-land. Perhaps where you are.

Active- Contingent. Won't go pending until all contingencies are met. Blame the lawyers. It used to be so easy.. Active, Pending, Closed. Not any more.

As they say, real estate is VERY local.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:11 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

I'm not a NE real estate expert, but as far as I know, the owner of the property is allowed to advertise their property as for sale until it's no longer their property.

Your market doesn't allow backup offers?

Old 03-17-2018, 05:38 PM

We allow backup offers - the sign stays up... but we do NOT, as a matter of practice, keep showing the house once it's under contract. It's Pending then.

OK - I'll defer to locals.... I should know better by now than to think this business is near uniform across the country. But here, the financing contingency usually runs very nearly to close... so in our world, then, if it runs like that, properties would never be Pending.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-17-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,748,584 times
Quote:
WHY they went and bought a couch in early March when they can't take delivery of it until at least mid April is beyond me.
Because couches can take 6-8 weeks from order to delivery.

Quote:
Close, then go buy a couch, AFTER you buy a washer/dryer AFTER the closing. Then again, if I'm looking to furnish a huge family room, I'm making a to-scale drawing of the room, door and window locations, outlet locations, and bringing that to the furniture store with me. Or make paper cutouts of the furniture that you can move around on the drawing....but that's me. I'll just show up as required after closing with my painting clothes.
Look how clever you are, with your paper cutouts

Meanwhile, you'll be sitting on those paper cutouts while you're waiting for the couch to be ready.

You're gonna have to stop expecting them to do things the way you would, Jim. They are their own people, with their own ideas.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 AM

898 posts, read 594,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Because couches can take 6-8 weeks from order to delivery.

Look how clever you are, with your paper cutouts

Meanwhile, you'll be sitting on those paper cutouts while you're waiting for the couch to be ready.

You're gonna have to stop expecting them to do things the way you would, Jim. They are their own people, with their own ideas.
I'm sure they probably went to Bob's Discount Furniture, not Thomasville. Off the shelf and throw it away in 5 years. And they already have a couch that they will have to move to the house from the apartment to either put into the living room, that will only have a couch in it, or borrow a friend with a truck to bring to the dump. I don't think they can just abandon it at the apartment (4piece L shaped sectional)

And I was working in engineering prior to the advent of CAD, and we cut out paper dolls of equipment and shoved them around on a drawing of the mechanical room to make sure it all fit before drafting it onto paper with pencils.

I'm thinking my stepson is looking to have his whole life set in stone before he turns 23 (turns 22 tomorrow). This one house is bigger than what the two kids grew up in combined. Father at 19, didn't get into engineering school like he was supposed to. Good job, but on a path to be a union wonk fitting pipe instead of a nuclear engineer. Talks about his middle age coworkers with busted up bodies and alcoholism. He used to be a boy scout who enjoyed the outdoors, and hiking and camping with his buddies. He hardly sees them anymore...oh, that's right. They've been away at college and are graduating in 8 weeks. She is about a semester and a half from an associates degree, but she had to stop and get a job, because they just have to buy a house.

Yeah, I'm a pessimist on this, but I think rightly so. I will just show up with my painting clothes if he has any money left for paint after the closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate