Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 07:29 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times

Advertisements

Good for them! I bet they're excited!

Buck up Jim.... Seriously.... they don't want to hear your reasons why not. It's time you started listening and accepting their reasons why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 12:02 PM

898 posts, read 597,896 times
Already planning to be available Friday, and since it's a bank holiday, probably my wife as well. She can watch the granddaughter while stepson and I get shyt done.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 AM

As it turns out, my wife is working Friday, stepson's wife is working, and she needs their one car. He is stuck until early afternoon..... granddaughter's car seat won't fit in my truck, so I can't even go pick them up. Grrrrr....I planned to be out of here at 6am to miss the rush hour traffic so that I'm down their way in an hour, not an hour and a half.... And give the kids a full day.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
As it turns out, my wife is working Friday, stepson's wife is working, and she needs their one car. He is stuck until early afternoon..... granddaughter's car seat won't fit in my truck, so I can't even go pick them up. Grrrrr....I planned to be out of here at 6am to miss the rush hour traffic so that I'm down their way in an hour, not an hour and a half.... And give the kids a full day.
I've never had a problem moving a car seat from my wife's car to my truck.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM

Well, I'm sure with everyone looking for solutions instead of problems, you all can work it out just fine, Jim. Again.... good luck!

Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 AM

So, I think I mentioned that the kids offered us basement space for storage so we could get rid of paying for a storage unit. I moved almost half last week and yesterday I needed the stepson's help to move the furniture out. All set up in advance. I went to the unit solo and brought a load in the pickup to the house. I told him that I could do another solo load, but he insisted on coming along, which worked because we moved an upright freezer (that we are letting them keep and use) and most of the rest of the "smalls". Just after we got back and unloaded, my wife shows up after she got out of work. SS and I take both my pickup and my SUV down and we get the rest of it. Wife struggles back down to the basement (recent medical issues and she is currently using a cane). I said to him that while I'm here, use me and my PU and do a Lowes run if you need anything. He goes upstairs and my wife starts up and WW3 starts upstairs. Only been a week in the house and things aren't going as smoothly or quickly as they thought they would. Welcome to home ownership.....especially when you have a toddler. They need to work on only one room at a time and they are working on 3 or 4....

The nearly $4,000 couch is nice....

As I had gathered from the realtor photos, the door on the front load washer can only open about 6 inches before hitting the toilet, and in the wrong direction. Door does not look like it can be swapped to hinge the other way. Dryer door opens opposite, but that's where the hookups were layed out. So to be more specific, the dryer is on the left and opens towards the left wall, fully, and the washer is on the right side opening towards the right wall and hits the toilet and only opens 6 inches.

I described to SS how to deal with the thick carpet of moss covering 85% of the back yard. His eyes got big. He is planning on a big picnic Memorial weekend....he needs to get busy on it and may have to become a sod job, not seed. Probably about 1,500 square feet of moss.

ZERO electrical outlets in the basement area. Yay, I can get rid of my wire and electrical boxes that I have. Show the kid how to wire an outlet and install a breaker.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:37 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
So, I think I mentioned that the kids offered us basement space for storage so we could get rid of paying for a storage unit. I moved almost half last week and yesterday I needed the stepson's help to move the furniture out. All set up in advance. I went to the unit solo and brought a load in the pickup to the house. I told him that I could do another solo load, but he insisted on coming along, which worked because we moved an upright freezer (that we are letting them keep and use) and most of the rest of the "smalls". Just after we got back and unloaded, my wife shows up after she got out of work. SS and I take both my pickup and my SUV down and we get the rest of it. Wife struggles back down to the basement (recent medical issues and she is currently using a cane). I said to him that while I'm here, use me and my PU and do a Lowes run if you need anything. He goes upstairs and my wife starts up and WW3 starts upstairs. Only been a week in the house and things aren't going as smoothly or quickly as they thought they would. Welcome to home ownership.....especially when you have a toddler. They need to work on only one room at a time and they are working on 3 or 4....

The nearly $4,000 couch is nice....

As I had gathered from the realtor photos, the door on the front load washer can only open about 6 inches before hitting the toilet, and in the wrong direction. Door does not look like it can be swapped to hinge the other way. Dryer door opens opposite, but that's where the hookups were layed out. So to be more specific, the dryer is on the left and opens towards the left wall, fully, and the washer is on the right side opening towards the right wall and hits the toilet and only opens 6 inches.

I described to SS how to deal with the thick carpet of moss covering 85% of the back yard. His eyes got big. He is planning on a big picnic Memorial weekend....he needs to get busy on it and may have to become a sod job, not seed. Probably about 1,500 square feet of moss.

ZERO electrical outlets in the basement area. Yay, I can get rid of my wire and electrical boxes that I have. Show the kid how to wire an outlet and install a breaker.
Before he commits to expensive sod for the backyard, I would strongly recommend that he gets a soil test kit from the local ag agent. Moss is present for a reason, usually soil pH and a high degree of shade. Personally, if I had a predominantly mossy yard I'd leave it in place. It's nice and green year-round, and you don't have to mow it either. Why spend money unnecessarily?

Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Good Lord Jim.... May these kids find happiness in their life, in spite of you constantly criticizing them.

Glad to hear they got moved in.

The moss can stay. It doesn't hurt a thing

The doors on washers and dryers can be reversed. Every single one of them.

It's nice they're letting you store stuff in the basement.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
If for some reason the door can't be reversed, why not a top loader?

Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good Lord Jim.... May these kids find happiness in their life, in spite of you constantly criticizing them.

Glad to hear they got moved in.

The moss can stay. It doesn't hurt a thing

The doors on washers and dryers can be reversed. Every single one of them.

It's nice they're letting you store stuff in the basement.
Diana, the entire backyard "entertaining area" is moss.... Kinda gross. 1,500ft of it. 3.2 acres (140,000 square feet?) and the 1,500ft that you need nice grass is nothing but moss. 3.2 acres and the "mowable" area, including the moss, is smaller than the 1/4 acre lot with extensive vegetable garden where I live. The rest is trees, brush, and rocks. I advised him to go to Tractor Supply to the equine department, and get a bottle of permethrine concentrate and treat as much of the yard as he can to ward off the ticks (very prevalent in CT, including my 1/4 acre city lot).

I looked at the washer and dryer.... THIS particular set the doors cannot be reversed. It's live with it or remove the toilet. Good luck getting that one sock at the back of the washer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate