U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
896 posts, read 413,979 times
Reputation: 1418

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
After reading a few pages of this I can't imagine why these kids would want to move to a place where parental figures couldn't visit them often...
They wanted to be in the woods. He never lived in the woods, but he used to be a boyscout, so he wanted to live in the woods. I get that. His father lives closer. 25 minutes. Her father had the apartment above theirs before they bought the house. 30-35 minutes. She and her mother are estranged, so that doesn't matter where she is. So we are an hour away and my wife works 6 days to get her 40 hours nearly every week. So on a Saturday, if she goes direct from work she can't visit until after 1:30pm, if she goes solo. She has to backtrack 20 minutes to get me. So really, the only good day to visit them is on Sunday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2018, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
149 posts, read 159,224 times
Reputation: 293
Yea, I've seen the type plenty. You're 55, have nothing going for you and you have to tear down anything and everything that someone 'below you' does for themselves so you can feel better about yourself, I get it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,453 posts, read 5,337,414 times
Reputation: 16456
Seems like a horrible place to go out in the woods. Is it like that throughout the entire northeast? I don't hear Submariner say anything like that about Maine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 03:53 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
896 posts, read 413,979 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Seems like a horrible place to go out in the woods. Is it like that throughout the entire northeast? I don't hear Submariner say anything like that about Maine.
The ticks? Take your dog pheasant hunting in the fall and you will find 15-30 ticks on your dog crawling around on his coat. On your coat too. I'm on a city lot with a little woods behind it and the dog often comes back with one or two on him. We have two types here, what gets called "dog ticks", and the "deer ticks". the deer ticks are the ones that carry Lyme disease (first discovered in Lyme CT)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 05:31 PM
 
5,256 posts, read 3,752,040 times
Reputation: 7356
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Seems like a horrible place to go out in the woods. Is it like that throughout the entire northeast? I don't hear Submariner say anything like that about Maine.
Connecticut woods are more like brush. Maine woods are more like forest. Any Connecticut forest that may have existed has been harmed or destroyed by exotic invasive species that wealthy homeowners planted for ornamental reasons to make their manicured lawns look extra special. Those invasive species escaped cultivation many decades ago and have been destroying natural plant habitat ever since. The further north you go in New England the more the woods will actually look like real forest.

Ticks thrive in brush because the brush is lower to the ground and it provides a bridge of sorts onto animals and humans that pass by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
10,491 posts, read 7,942,949 times
Reputation: 14903
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Seems like a horrible place to go out in the woods. Is it like that throughout the entire northeast? I don't hear Submariner say anything like that about Maine.
Parts of NC are like that. One lease I had I couldn't get out of the car without bringing back four or five.

Illinois, I worked on a Golf Course, no woods, lots of tall tall prairie grass, they had them. Its just part of the entire eastern half of the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
20,440 posts, read 10,828,386 times
Reputation: 12359
this one time, I moved out to a neighborhood that bordered a huge state nature park on one side, and some protected university land on the other. I decided to put my then 2 year old daughter on my shoulders, and went walking through the woods. No underbrush, scraping against trees or anything, just walking through the woods. When we returned home, she was literally covered by 100's of baby ticks (seed ticks we call them). The wife was none too happy. Took a loooooooong time to get them all off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 03:56 PM
 
399 posts, read 406,539 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
After reading a few pages of this I can't imagine why these kids would want to move to a place where parental figures couldn't visit them often...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
They wanted to be in the woods. He never lived in the woods, but he used to be a boyscout, so he wanted to live in the woods. I get that. His father lives closer. 25 minutes. Her father had the apartment above theirs before they bought the house. 30-35 minutes. She and her mother are estranged, so that doesn't matter where she is. So we are an hour away and my wife works 6 days to get her 40 hours nearly every week. So on a Saturday, if she goes direct from work she can't visit until after 1:30pm, if she goes solo. She has to backtrack 20 minutes to get me. So really, the only good day to visit them is on Sunday.
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that statement you responded to was dripping with sarcasm.

Last edited by TWG1572; 04-12-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
149 posts, read 159,224 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this one time, I moved out to a neighborhood that bordered a huge state nature park on one side, and some protected university land on the other. I decided to put my then 2 year old daughter on my shoulders, and went walking through the woods. No underbrush, scraping against trees or anything, just walking through the woods. When we returned home, she was literally covered by 100's of baby ticks (seed ticks we call them). The wife was none too happy. Took a loooooooong time to get them all off.
This is the kind of thing that nightmares are made of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 03:38 AM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
896 posts, read 413,979 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this one time, I moved out to a neighborhood that bordered a huge state nature park on one side, and some protected university land on the other. I decided to put my then 2 year old daughter on my shoulders, and went walking through the woods. No underbrush, scraping against trees or anything, just walking through the woods. When we returned home, she was literally covered by 100's of baby ticks (seed ticks we call them). The wife was none too happy. Took a loooooooong time to get them all off.
Stepson was advised to treat the yard with permethrin. His property is prime tick habitat. Stone wall is the property line. Tick city is on the left. 30ft wide and all the way to the street.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top