U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 06:27 AM

892 posts, read 401,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Repairs and trip hazards aside, I would never advise people that age who've never bought a home to take on "3 acres out in the woods" with a well and septic. Never.

Is this house typical of those in your area?

Why are they trying so hard to buy? (I could look through your post history I guess but am hoping not to.)

My nephew and his wife just bought a house in Seattle after a grueling year and a half trying to navigate that hellish market. Their patience paid off. I would advise more patience for your stepson.
I have no clue why they are in such a rush. The kid he wants to be out in the woods (the 3ac is mostly trees and brush. He will only need a push mower). Out in that particular town it's somewhat rural, the southern end of what's called CT's "Quiet Corner". They will pretty much isolating themselves from their parents. We are over an hour away, boy's father is about 30 minutes, girl's father is about 40 minutes. Boy's commute goes from 15 minutes to almost 40 minutes.

I feel that they should buy a 2 family for less money in one of the small cities near his work, nearly rent free (would no doubt rent the second floor to one of the fathers anyway), and wait a few more years to get a single family out in the country before the child enters school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 06:32 AM

986 posts, read 988,777 times
If the deal was contingent on the house inspection (as I would hope any contract for sale is written when putting a deposit down), then you should fairly easily be able to pull out and get you deposit back if done in a timely manner (again, usually stipulated at contract signing). If not happy with inspection and owners not willing to correct, then walk away and get your deposit back.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 AM

13,275 posts, read 6,375,435 times
Due to their ages and them only having the one car right now AND the issues with the house I would tell them to walk away. It might all seem very appealing to your step-son right now but how does the wife or girlfriend feel about living way out there alone with a toddler? Can they actually afford this place? They don't want to end up house poor.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You sound like my dad. Anything I wanted to do, I'd ask his advice. He'd tell me all the reasons "why not", and if I had an answer for all of those, then the idea was a pretty good idea.

I loved and miss my dad, but he was too much of a worrier to ever enjoy watching me take my own chances.

We don't know the kids, and more important, we don't know the house, or their budget, or their ability to keep up with such a home. It doesn't look like the worst starter home I've ever seen... whether it's a smart move for these kids, depends on the kids, and the details of that inspection report. We have certainly talked a lot of our first time buyers out of homes that found serious issues on inspection. Powder post beetle damage... extensive rot, need for a new roof too soon to budget for... things like that. Fans being re-directed to vents is not a big deal to have done.

Question I would ask is, adding up the repairs pointed out in the inspection report that are likely to need to be done in the next five years, can they afford to do those? If not, ask the sellers to do the major ones. If they can't afford anything, then they should try to find a simpler place that will be lower maintenance.
In the last 5 years I have seen the boy make major mistake after major mistake, because you know, he knows everything. He was National Honor Society in high school, and supposed to go to engineering school, but didn't submit applications during the early application period, and ended up getting locked out of college entirely for what would have been his freshman year. Then he made the baby with his girlfriend. Ended up taking a job as an apprentice pipefitter (good job for a young guy, but way beneath his intelligence level). She went to community college, but hasn't gotten enough credits to get an associates. She got enough training to become a phlebotomist, again, better than working at Dunkin' with her abusive mother (threw a coffee pot at her one time at Dunkin' true story).

He works second shift while she is at home with the child. He takes care of the child during the day. She works a little over half time during the day. They share one car. She gets home from work after 2pm and he has to leave for work by 3pm (will be 2:30 if they take this house). They get one full day per week together (Sunday). Once it gets dark, the house location will be DARK. No street lights or anything. If there is a storm and the power goes out while he is at work....... One neighbor over 300ft up the hill from the back of the house, through the woods.

They can't afford a second car. They live in a 2BR apartment and I don't see how they are going to have the money to furnish the house. The apartment furniture will be lost in the family room. The living room will just be a big echo chamber. Repairs? No clue how they will do any repairs. They will have to buy a washer/dryer, lawn equipment. Window blinds and curtains, LOTs of interior paint, just to move in.

I sit back and eat my bowl of popcorn while watching all of this pan out.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
They are very young and you are going to be taken as the 'bad guy' who just does not want them to get a house, not as the guy who wants them to wait until they can get a great house.

So, I'd just say, for whatever the cost estimates for the repairs are, to try to negotiate the seller escrowing the funds so they can get the things fixed---and they do not come to you for help paying for it...and add in the cost for a paint job too!
That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut and talking about it here.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
They are so very young to be so isolated. And it is isolated. I know, I moved to the country 60 miles from any family when I was young. I can see her getting very depressed at home all day with a toddler, no other young mothers around, no car.........They have one car only? Or one of their cars is a Hyundai? If she will have a vehicle then she has ability to get out and about.

FWIW, I don't like it for them. I hope your wife feels she can express her views if she is honest enough to feel this is not the house for them.
Only ONE car. They will have two choices with their garbage. Bring it in the trunk of the Elantra on Friday or Saturday to the transfer station, or pay a trash hauler to pick it up weekly. Another expense not accounted for. Wait, she works Saturday, so Friday is the only day.

She works first shift, he works second shift. So that loneliness thing, can you imagine being a 21yo young mother with a toddler, in a house with no close neighbors, after dark, without so much as a street light? Imagine if it's a stormy night and the power goes out?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 AM

49,999 posts, read 48,470,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I sit back and eat my bowl of popcorn while watching all of this pan out.
I understand you've witnessed a lot of crap, apparently, but a little more compassion than this for young people who make mistakes is probably in order. This ^^^ kind of attitude definitely manages to make itself known, whether you or not.

I get it - they screwed up. But they do not need to buy a house together. With the stresses life is throwing at them and the example they have from the adults in their lives, their relationship probably won't survive.

I would use what influence you have (over his mom, maybe?) to encourage them to keep renting.

If you aren't able to influence them, threads like this really are just gossip. The problem, obviously, is not real estate related.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you haven't made note of enough stuff that if the Seller fixed the immediate repairs the inspector noted that they should automatically cancel their contract, IMO.

Lack of a railing on a 3-step stairs? I'm not mr handy, and I could fashion something together if I chose to.
More than no railing....there is no landing on the outside of the house. Fall hazard for elderly and young kids.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:18 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,989,881 times
You see nothing but mistakes in your story? That's too bad, because I see two people working very hard to make a life together! And doing pretty well!

I don't know if they will work out, I don't know if this is the right house for them or not... but it sounds like you have all the reasons "why not" covered. If they go forward, it could be their reasons "why" outweigh your reasons why not.

They may be unprepared, naive, and they may need your help before it's over, but what isn't helpful is telling them what you think they should do if you aren't listening to what they want from their own life.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:24 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,989,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Only ONE car. They will have two choices with their garbage. Bring it in the trunk of the Elantra on Friday or Saturday to the transfer station, or pay a trash hauler to pick it up weekly. Another expense not accounted for. Wait, she works Saturday, so Friday is the only day.

She works first shift, he works second shift. So that loneliness thing, can you imagine being a 21yo young mother with a toddler, in a house with no close neighbors, after dark, without so much as a street light? Imagine if it's a stormy night and the power goes out?
They can go every couple months to the dump. Get them a few cans and some bins for recycling, recycling can eliminate a lot of the bulk of garbage. Maybe you can help them with that until they can get a truck.

And for housewarming and Christmas presents, some emergency supplies and battery operated lanterns, or if you're really cool, a mercury vapor light for outside and a generator for power outages. You know... Helpful things.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-03-2018 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or