U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 03:23 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,814,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
they bought the washer/dryer used off of craigslist. they have to live with it
Many people buy things used that end up being the wrong choice. They can resell it and buy another one that will work better. It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 03:39 PM

8,576 posts, read 5,356,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Many people buy things used that end up being the wrong choice. They can resell it and buy another one that will work better. It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.
Yes.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:40 PM

5,293 posts, read 3,770,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Positively doable, but also a pain in the ass and hopefully a learning experience.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 4,988,724 times
I would get rid of the toilet in the laundry room and possibly the sink as well or put in a utility sink and just make it a laundry room! It will be too cramped in there otherwise. I'm assuming they have another bathroom they can use, correct?

Old 04-14-2018, 04:41 PM

896 posts, read 415,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I would get rid of the toilet in the laundry room and possibly the sink as well or put in a utility sink and just make it a laundry room! It will be too cramped in there otherwise. I'm assuming they have another bathroom they can use, correct?
Two full bathrooms on the second floor.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:24 PM

20,816 posts, read 40,114,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I swear Jim you are the second biggest control freak I have ever 'met'.

It would be humorous to listen to you rant and fret about every decision these kids have made, except I actually feel for these poor kids trying to find some joy in their new home.
This and what others expressed, in spades.

Quote:
they bought the washer/dryer used off of craigslist. they have to live with it
They can SELL the washer or washer/dryer on craiglist and buy another set (or just washer). THINK, man, and try to think of positive, easy solutions rather than trying desperately to criticize everything they do. It's almost pathological the way you consistently do that.

Having had chickens, I saw several places that a chicken coop could go with some imagination.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,381,886 times
I just read this entire thread and I’m at a loss for words. Let me say up front that I believe these kids have made a huge mistake in purchasing this particular home. I think they should have started in something more manageable from a repair standpoint.

Now that being said, they did buy it and therefore are going to be needing all the support their family can give them. And I’m pretty sure that the step son will take his lumps, eat a bit of crow, and generally feel like he’s in way over his head on several of these projects.

OP, I suggest you find a way to offer your ss some solid,practical advice in a way that he will want to receive it. I’ve been a step dad, and there is room for both of you to share some common ground here and build a solid relationship. You have a lot of years of knowledge and experience that you could share with him if you would just find the right approach. For sure, your step son is feeling his oats and is likely pretty full of himself for managing to buy this property. But he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, while you do. I guess what I’m trying to say is he needs you. Your job is to be there for him. You might be surprised at what the end result may be!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:59 AM

896 posts, read 415,888 times
Unless my dad's hospital discharge gets in the way Sunday (hoping my sister takes care of it and gets him to the rehab facility), plan is to take the pickup and visit my granddaughter Sunday. I keep asking my wife, "what is the plan? what do I need to bring for tools?" I get non answers.... grrrr. frustrating. I'm thinking a run to Lowes, lawnmower, grill, yard tools....MOSS KILLER..... I don't think the moss is attractive at all, especially for the main backyard entertaining space. Tractor Supply for enough permethrin to kill every tick on the property 5 times over, and at either place at least a 2 gallon sprayer. But I have a plethora of tools I can bring down if I know what the plan is for the day. I can't get an answer. Oma, my wife, can only sit on the couch and play with Princess Claire (Oma (German for grandmother) had a triple bypass surgery in November and back surgery in December last year). Fine with that, she wants to help but physically can't, but we drive an hour to get there and I want to hit the ground running and get stuff done. Kids have me and my PU for 6-8 hours.... they need to maximize that. She is going to visit, I am going to get stuff done to help the kids out..... Hope the DIL doesn't blow up on stepson almost in front of us like our last visit.... But I don't want to show up Sunday at 9am and he says "can we fix this?" and I have the tools to do that 60 miles away back here.... Opening scene from Dirty Harry.... "I gots to know"

I will ask again in the morning what the to do list is.....

Old 04-21-2018, 05:33 AM

8,576 posts, read 5,356,685 times
Make sure you ask "the kids" what THEY WANT you to do. Not what your wife wants .... or what YOU want. What they want. It's their house.

Sounds like a good time, can't wait to hear how it goes

Old 04-21-2018, 06:00 AM

6,625 posts, read 3,077,633 times
Quote:
Washer door can't open but for 6 inches. Hits the toilet. You have to climb over the toilet to load/unload the washer. Wife thinks maybe a raised platform. Might work. Machine hinges on the left and is not convertible. Not an ergonomic setup at all. Me, I think I'd rip open the walls and move the washer hookup to the left wall, so the hinges aren't in the center but on the outside, AND build the platform. Washer on the left, dryer on the right. Doors open away from each other. Ergonomic. I have tools....So many tools that I think I can set him up with a spare circular saw, hammer, rakes, etc.

Are they sure the machines weren’t designed to stack with the same orientation as the toilet? Or switching the washer with the dryer and getting longer hoses/vents? I see no reason that the washer needs to have the door face the toilet. I had a similar issue with having a set that seemed too big for a space and was able to get a stacking kit to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate