U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:50 AM

8,511 posts, read 5,297,780 times

Advertisements

Found it and did my best, Jim.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 AM

9,740 posts, read 4,737,052 times
Remember the old line:

"I was looking for Mr. Right. I just didn't realize his first name was going to be 'Always' ".

Old 05-06-2018, 05:32 PM

896 posts, read 413,979 times
Oy..... My better half told our daughter in-law that we were coming down Saturday to watch Claire so that her son and our DIL could have a date night......OMG.... I haven't had an extended period with a 2-1/2 year old for 20 years. Brought the old Labrador down too. Kids took off and Oma, my better half, said "we are going to Walmart to buy Princess Claire a toy". Load her into the car and head to WM. Started fine enough....then the princess says "Grandpa, down". I took her out of that cart and she said "Grandpa, let's go", and for the next 20 minutes I'm chasing her around the store....Oma is partially disabled and couldn't keep up...I couldn't keep up..... Finally got done, got pizza, the DIL bought stuff for us to cook while they were out, but THERE IS NO TABLE TO EAT AT. They used to have a dinette at their two apartments, but they didn't bring it to the new house. Why? No clue. Her son took the $4,000 sectional sofa, and moved it from the family room to the living room, which is nothing more than a staging area, because he is working on repairing the ceiling in the family room. The family room had a TV, and a blanket on the floor for the princess. At Walmart we bought a pair of bag chairs so we could have something to sit on and watch TV with the princess. Better half spent half of the night sitting in the dark (because there is no lamp) in the living room on the comfortable couch because of her partial disability (2-1/2 years and never able to pick up her grandchild, sucks), while I sat in the family room with the princess on outdoor bag chairs and that little girl just wore me out....running around non-stop.... Wore out the old Labrador as well. I got her jammies on and 15 minutes later they were off and she's running around the house naked..... I don't recall my kids like that....

In 3 weeks or so after move-in, only one small room painted. With that child I can see why. She never stops and apparently never naps. Parent on duty can't get anything done. They are trying....She wore me out in like 4 hours.... And he thought it was a good idea to use an electric orbital sander to sand the joint compound ....compound dust in every crevice of every room of the house. Kid will NOT ask for advice, from anyone.....his mom says he's always been that way.....

He did buy a lawnmower, but with the slopes he should have bought a self propelled but didn't. I guess to save $50. I told his mom and she was like "what? he'll learn the hard way"

The princess's mom pulled 3 ticks off of the princess the other day. I told them to treat with permethrin....

40 gallon garbage can filled to the top and the smell almost knocked me on my butt when I went to throw something away

3 weekends until their big family picnic. So they have two weeks to get ready. No grill, no outdoor furniture, no indoor furniture except a $4,000 sectional couch. No, really. The main level, FR, LR, Kitchen, DR, and other room set up as a play room..... There is a TV, and the expensive sectional couch. That's it. They bought us food to cook last night, but eat it where? on the couch in the dark in the LR? On the floor? Oma can't sit on the floor. So we got pizza while we were out.... I have no idea how they are doing meals, except that the stepson is at work second shift so it doesn't impact him except Saturday and Sunday. DIL has family coming in from out of state. I'm sure they aren't bringing their own bag chairs. If it rains, Kumbya circle in the Family Room? No clue. Over an hour each way so my help is limited. His Mom works Saturday's so her time is limited and she has disabilities.

Kinda frustrating to see where they are, what they need to do in the next two weekends, and I can't really help, at least next weekend, as my daughter graduates college next week, so there goes my Saturday. I can't keep up with my own lawn, bought my turkey license and half way through the season haven't gotten out yet. I haven't started to turn over my veggie garden yet....

Old 05-06-2018, 05:38 PM

49,990 posts, read 49,276,136 times
Yep ... Sounds like life with a new house and a toddler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I told his mom and she was like "what? he'll learn the hard way"
Oma has the right approach. Stop judging them, Jim. You sound like a gossipy old lady at the beauty shop.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 PM

8,511 posts, read 5,297,780 times
Sounds like everyone is doing just fine then! Good to hear!

Old 05-06-2018, 10:54 PM

11,640 posts, read 9,896,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep ... Sounds like life with a new house and a toddler.

Oma has the right approach. Stop judging them, Jim. You sound like a gossipy old lady at the beauty shop.
I agree.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 AM

784 posts, read 462,289 times
Most the issues you describe are easy fixes, or not worth fixing. The well pressure being the worst, and it may be just a pressure switch $20. Any stairs under 30" do not need a rail or landing. The top stair being only 4" is a bit weird, could be major, or just live with it. Can a new stair case be install easily? It was obviously not permitted/inspected.

It is on a hill, and the hill may be moving. That may be the largest concern over the long-haul.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 AM

167 posts, read 122,801 times
Jim - everything you’re describing is exactly like me buying my first house 20+ years ago. It took years to get it “done” and by that time I had learned every step of home maintenance and construction possible - and 435 ways to NOT do it.

Some of the stuff you’re whining about is pretty petty - outdoor furniture? Self-propelled lawn mowers?

Did you ever stop and think that perhaps they don’t expect everyone to judge them as harshly as you do?

Old 05-12-2018, 06:57 PM

7,453 posts, read 5,337,414 times
I used a self-propelled mower on my sloped yard one time. Every time I lifted the wheels to shift the mower I gouged the lawn. I bought a push mower instead and have had no issues. It really doesn't take much effort to push one. And he's 40 years younger than I am.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 AM

896 posts, read 413,979 times
Weekly update, because I just know that you want one.....hahahaha

DOG/PUPPY WEEK! We make the hour trip to see the little Princess and bring my big ole ancient Labrador along, as the Princess just loves him. The stepson and DIL had actually visited a rescue event on Saturday......but didn't buy anything....wink wink. So we get to their house, and only the stepson is there. DIL and his sister had actually gone to a pet store...."to look".... Wife says to her son, "What did you get your wife for mother's day?"..... he tries to avoid the question, "it's a surprise and she doesn't get it until Wednesday". Wife presses on him and he finally confesses, apparently without his wife's knowledge, at the rescue, he bought a dog.....AND HE BOUGHT THE DOG'S SISTER...he bought two dogs.... . But they are small dogs. Maltese mixes or something. About 45 minutes later, his wife and his sister pull into the driveway, and I hear him saying out the door, "THAT'S NOT OURS IS IT? THAT'S NOT OURS IS IT?" Nope....but his sister, who lives in a 2BR apartment with her dad, Works crazy hours at a restaurant (as in, she bought the pup, was going to stop at a discount store to buy a wire crate, bring her home, crate her, then get to work for 4pm-midnight), and is hoping to be back at college to work on her Bachelor's degree in the fall (getting her Associates from community college next week), bought a 4 month old Golden-Doodle that is very cute, but is going to be I bet an 80# dog when she gets big. Her dad didn't know.... The landlord doesn't know....but is the girl's aunt, so it might slide. Then again the aunt evicted her own mother from the same building and threw out all of her mother's possessions. So my wife's ex-husband got home last night to a 4 legged surprise while his daughter was at work....LOL I can't make this stuff up....

Going to be a real dog-fest if the picnic still happens on Memorial Day weekend.... Still only the one room painted, the dining room, with a folding table and two folding chairs. But he at least bought a gas grill, and I got volunteered to make baby back ribs and stuffed jalapenos, so I will be hauling two additional grills down.

Oh, and his employer is probably sending him from the Connecticut ship yard to the Virginia ship yard in June for up to two months.... he was talking about all of the extra money he is going to earn.... but I asked my wife on the drive home, "who watches the Princess?" (he cares for her during the day, she cares for her in the evening so they both can work and not pay expensive daycare) They either need to find daycare for a few months (will be good for the child to socialize with other kids), or his wife will need to quit her job and hopefully get it back after his stint is up. Wouldn't surprise me at this point if while he is down there that he decides he likes the Virginia coast better than CT and wants to sell this house and move there.... (I probably would). Hope that he somehow gets out of it because he needs the summer to work on his house, and it's not that fair to leave his wife, almost 3 year old, and two new dogs for 2/3 of the summer in a house with no furniture and no air conditioning, unless he is buying 3-4 window shakers really soon.

All in all a good weekend. I got to see my youngest daughter graduate college *** laude Saturday, got to play with my granddaughter and a 4 month old puppy on Sunday. Wife saw her two kids on Mother's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate