U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:14 PM

892 posts, read 401,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
The paint guy at Lowe's is an idiot. I know several people who scraped off the popcorn ceilings in houses. It is actually not hard, just tedious, dirty, and requires some minor spackling. The issue to me is the safety issues of the house not the cosmetics. Mold? How much where and can it easily be remedied. Mold can be damaging to a baby. The stairs issue and railings, railings can be fixed the stairs apparently can't. Could be an issue for the baby later. Your wife should recommend they walk and look for a better house.
hahaha....everybody "knows somebody".......

Railing is not the problem....no LANDING outside the door. I believe that is a building code violation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 04:44 PM

892 posts, read 401,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
He sounds like he is taking responsibility for the consequences of his actions, right?

This sounds like what adults do to me.

This is the harder way to raise kids, but it doesn't sound like they value all of that support close by.

You may get lucky though because if the well is only coming out at 2GPM, then I know it wouldn't qualify for financing out in my area. The lender would kill the deal for the kids.
1) More so than lots of boys his age will do.Have to give him kudos for that. I'm pretty suspect of the entire relationship though. She is one of around 8 or 9 kids that her father made, and she hasn't even met them all. Really hoping that she doesn't become her mother. A couple has to do what it has to do, but working different shifts is not a healthy relationship.

2) For their long term benefit, I hope the seller won't pony up the thousands to make the repairs, especially the well. Wouldn't be surprised if a "fracking" costs 5 grand. New well times 3.

3) I got the impression this afternoon that their apartment lease is about up and they will have to renew or get out. (could only hear this side of the conversation).

4) I'm afraid that they are so wrapped up in THIS house, that they will buy it no matter what and suffer the consequences. Wife said that they have $19,000 to play with...... That's IT. Will tap them out and if they use it all on the down payment they basically have nothing for move in expenses, like the washer/dryer, lawnmower, curtains, paint. $240,000 accepted offer. Between the two of them they gross $60-$70k combined..... get out your calculators.....Would you do it? $220k mortgage, PMI, 4 grand in property tax. Not the best cities these days, but there are two small cities closer to his work where they can buy a 1,000 ft ranch for around $100k.... 2 family for $150-175k with an income generating apartment, and two dads who rent anyway. Instant tenant.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 4,850,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
1) More so than lots of boys his age will do.Have to give him kudos for that. I'm pretty suspect of the entire relationship though. She is one of around 8 or 9 kids that her father made, and she hasn't even met them all. Really hoping that she doesn't become her mother. A couple has to do what it has to do, but working different shifts is not a healthy relationship.

2) For their long term benefit, I hope the seller won't pony up the thousands to make the repairs, especially the well. Wouldn't be surprised if a "fracking" costs 5 grand. New well times 3.

3) I got the impression this afternoon that their apartment lease is about up and they will have to renew or get out. (could only hear this side of the conversation).

4) I'm afraid that they are so wrapped up in THIS house, that they will buy it no matter what and suffer the consequences. Wife said that they have $19,000 to play with...... That's IT. Will tap them out and if they use it all on the down payment they basically have nothing for move in expenses, like the washer/dryer, lawnmower, curtains, paint. $240,000 accepted offer. Between the two of them they gross $60-$70k combined..... get out your calculators.....Would you do it? $220k mortgage, PMI, 4 grand in property tax. Not the best cities these days, but there are two small cities closer to his work where they can buy a 1,000 ft ranch for around $100k.... 2 family for $150-175k with an income generating apartment, and two dads who rent anyway. Instant tenant.
Yeah, that income sounds like they’ll be over extended. Especially with a kid! Hopefully the seller tells them to pound sand on the repairs and you can talk them out of it! Otherwise, hey their adults and they have to learn. Sometimes the hard way!

Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM

6,303 posts, read 2,805,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

I can see not wanting to get a 1000 foot ranch with one child. If they want to have another, they may need to move in a couple of years and that’s not really a wise choice. It makes sense to at least think about picking something that is adequately sized for 5 years- not a duplex/rental- but a home that will fit them if they want to have more kids. I don’t know how you think they can’t afford the fixes on a single family home but it’s somehow going to be management having to worry about a tenant breaking stuff all the time? When you are 22 years old? How does that even make any sense?

Old 03-03-2018, 11:59 PM

325 posts, read 142,479 times
I went through this when my husband and I were house hunting. We were renting and the rental management company changed and the new owners lease terms were totally ridiculous (but within their rights so I'm not complaining). In short we had to get out or sign a lease for another year lease at a higher rate, we talked them down to six then to three but we really wanted to avoid signing because they wanted more money and did away with some of the amenities that the old property manager provided. We were motivated buyers because we wanted to avoid signing the new ridiculous lease. Seems like your son feels he has to have a place to go to to avoid renting. Ask him about it, can they stay with you while they househunt and without rent he could build to a better downpayment? We ended up negotiating for a two month lease (it was quite a challenge) so we did not go with our first home that we really loved and I mean we were SMITTEN- with the house, with each other, we had visions of living there fixing the place up!
But it was an old victorian with a slew of issues, it had a lot of charm and the location was fantastic and we could afford it. We brought my parents to look at it and they noticed a lot of issues with coding. They both build houses for habitat for humanity. They shared their knowledge with us and we capitulated to their wisdom and knowledge and didn't make an offer.

Now if my step-dad and mom hadn't stepped in and advised us not to buy the house we very surely would've made an offer. And the first time I might've had to call them to tell them that a houseguest fell down the steps and was injured I know my dear step dad would tell me sure, yeah that was going to happen at some point because the stairs are not to code. In that scenario I'd be pissed! And I appreciate that they gave honest feedback helping us avoid many fixes that would've been major projects.

But on to your case, I'm the who thinks you should share your knowledge with your son and his wife. Have you talked to the wife at all? Some of these concerns would be especially salient for her. Mold and babies, fall hazards and babies, gravel driveways and babies . And being out in the middle of nowhere with no neighborhood friends or even no close neighbors without a car- anything could happen.

As for the garbage issue I'd feel this would be a deal breaker for any woman with a kid. At that age they get every vomiting disease. Want to store that in a garage and lift them into a truck and have a ride that smells like vomit in an enclosed vehicle (CT- winter- vomit shuttle) ewwwww.

Their work ethic to support the family is admirable but it does leave one person with a young child alone in an area where it sounds like there aren't any taxis or ubers is a real worry. I'd think the wife would want to be closer to someone's parents, being close to both sets would be ideal!

I don't like multi families though. My mom and step dad wanted us to buy one but we did not want to be landlords. We know too many and though some have no issues most of the time- when there are issues they tend to be pretty nightmarish. So being a landlord is not right for everyone just because it's a good investment. You have to be the right kind of person to be a landlord.

I wish you and the rest of your family luck and I hope they think this through very very carefully.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:37 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,902,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
You can clean mold with bleach. No need to spend big bucks for mold remediation.
You are assuming mold you can see.

Black mold in the walls can kill you. We lost a house to it in the 90's in the midwest. Hubs was very sick, found out it was the mold behind the sheet rock.

Anywhere there is humidity over 39%, mold literally grows in the air. Which is most of this country.

Got the heck out of the house and sold it at a deep discount, disclosing the mold, Attorneys having them sign lots of documents. Insurnace would not cover it for them as they knew it was there.
They lived there 10 years and said they had no issues. When it came time to sell it, they gave our phone number to a very interested buyer. He said dang, the house it beautiful. That doens't take away the mold issue.

Now when we buy a house we have a forensic mold inspector come out and do tests.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 AM

659 posts, read 660,203 times
I dont read wall of texts, some paragraph breaks would help.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:45 AM

21,077 posts, read 21,753,221 times
The well would do it for me.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:50 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,989,881 times
Sharing knowledge is such a valuable thing parents can do.

Jim, you know these kids. I'll defer a great deal of credit to you in trying to help these kids make the best decision for them.... I just think it's a little odd that you think this is so wrong because they can't fix things or haul garbage or replace appliances, but a duplex with a rental would be better? Just try to step back and realize when you are sharing knowledge, and when you are imposing your own biases and preferences on other people... who may not want them.

The well or pressure tank, or whatever the problem may be... is a defect that needs to be fixed. Living in the country is a choice, not a defect.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 AM

8,343 posts, read 4,989,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
You are assuming mold you can see.

Black mold in the walls can kill you.
We still haven't been told where any mold that was found, is... I have a *feeling* it's connected with the bathroom vent issue, and the mold may be in the bathroom or the attic. Such mold issues are not all that difficult to resolve once the source of the warm moist air from the bathroom is removed, and good venting of the space provided.

But again, this is just an assumption, and in the absence of any clarification about the mold issue and where it was found/observed, it's worth the same as any of the other assumptions that have been made here so far... not much!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-04-2018 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or