U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:42 AM

892 posts, read 402,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I can see not wanting to get a 1000 foot ranch with one child. If they want to have another, they may need to move in a couple of years and that’s not really a wise choice. It makes sense to at least think about picking something that is adequately sized for 5 years- not a duplex/rental- but a home that will fit them if they want to have more kids. I don’t know how you think they can’t afford the fixes on a single family home but it’s somehow going to be management having to worry about a tenant breaking stuff all the time? When you are 22 years old? How does that even make any sense?
I grew up in a 980sf 3br ranch where my parents raised 4 kids. Actually back here with my fiance taking care of my 87yo dad. And back in the 60's and early 70's, almost every house on the street had 2-6 kids. It's big enough.

Big house = more to clean, more expensive to heat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:02 AM

8,115 posts, read 6,672,937 times
The entire front walkway with timbers will last only about 5 years. I'd show you mine, but why bother. The back steps need a deck asap. It is their choice. As I thought I mentioned, just give your unsolicited opinion in the form of questions:"Have you considered . . ."

Old 03-04-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The entire front walkway with timbers will last only about 5 years. I'd show you mine, but why bother. The back steps need a deck asap. It is their choice. As I thought I mentioned, just give your unsolicited opinion in the form of questions:"Have you considered . . ."
Preaching to the choir here. I try telling my wife and she doesn't pass on my thoughts..... I think she is emotionally wrapped up in this deal too, and she used to be a realtor, so she should know better. My fear is that instead of having the seller fix the major issues, the kids are going to offer a reduced price instead, only to find out after it's a done deal that what they thought would cost ten grand to fix ends up being thirty grand, and too late, no recourse. And even if it is only ten grand, they aren't going to have the ten grand to pay for it.

And for whomever was asking, sounds like the mold is in the attic, from the bathroom fans venting into that space, not to a roof jack.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 AM

666 posts, read 363,743 times
Looks like a whole lot of house for two 20-somethings' first go at homeownership.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Looks like a whole lot of house for two 20-somethings' first go at homeownership.

Exactly.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 AM

8,355 posts, read 5,005,464 times
I looked up the house... wanting to see more about the condition of the interior and get a feel for the area.

Not mentioned here, is a new roof in 2012, and a new boiler in 2016. When I am talking to first time buyers about which defects they can live with, which things they can afford to fix, and which things they can't... roof and furnace are at the top of that list, and they're new. That's a great thing.

The rest of the house looks real cute and seems well maintained. Hardwood floors, nice big kitchen with lots of cabinets.
Move in ready.

And it's NOT in the sticks. Grocery stores, hardware stores and restaurants within a couple miles. On the aerial view, there's one neighbor within sight, other neighbors on the street look nice and well maintained, not junky.

I've not forgotten the issues on the report, and some need to be addressed, or at least clarified... but if they are addressed, I don't see all kinds of reasons to talk a nice couple out of this place.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Preaching to the choir here. I try telling my wife and she doesn't pass on my thoughts..... I think she is emotionally wrapped up in this deal too, and she used to be a realtor, so she should know better. My fear is that instead of having the seller fix the major issues, the kids are going to offer a reduced price instead, only to find out after it's a done deal that what they thought would cost ten grand to fix ends up being thirty grand, and too late, no recourse. And even if it is only ten grand, they aren't going to have the ten grand to pay for it.

And for whomever was asking, sounds like the mold is in the attic, from the bathroom fans venting into that space, not to a roof jack.
What are you afraid they're going to spend ten or thirty grand on?

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-04-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 AM

63,399 posts, read 4,819,666 times
Their life, & choice, you can offer advice & you are probably right, but some people only learn the hard way. I am surprised your wife is not bothered at all the potential hazards/problems.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
That's not hard to fix then. Easy to kill the visible mold. Remove the source of warm moist air, you probably fix the problem for the long term.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,189,913 times
The driveway is not an issue. As a former New Englander, we had a long gravel driveway on our first house. We worked it out. If it was going to snow we parked at the end of the driveway and my husband shoveled out the end and did the rest of the driveway later with a snow blower. Yeah it threw rocks and the next buyers had it paved. In the 10 years we lived there is wasn't an issue. I think the OP is going overboard on this, the issue should be not buying a house, but not buying this particular house because of structural issues. Cosmetics can be changed, the driveway can be shoveled. Many New Englanders do this, it is not unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or