Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 01:48 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ummmm... Go to pawn shops, garage sales, and Craigslist to buy used tools? When I was young and broke and I needed a tool, that's what I did.
Right there with you. And most of my furniture... and appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:05 PM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ummmm... Go to pawn shops, garage sales, and Craigslist to buy used tools? When I was young and broke and I needed a tool, that's what I did.

There seems to be a new philosophy of helplessness in this country that says if you don't already have all the skills and tools to do a particular task, it is practically impossible to gain them. I have seen this with statements like "Oh, I can't paint my house" - why not? Are you crippled or extremely elderly? If not, you can paint your house - or "All I need to do about a real estate contract is to get the right lawyer, right? Then I won't have to read what I'm signing, or even think about it, right?"

I expect that a couple of early-20s buying a house like this are going to have to scuffle some. If they have a commitment to living frugally, staying together despite difficulties, and doing every single thing possible by themselves, they are likely to come out ten years from now with a nice little property, some money put by, and a lifetime's worth of skills and self-reliance they can use.

That is why I put the (abbreviated) story of my parents above. There are a lot of ways this story could go wrong but there are also a lot of ways it could go right. I guarantee the OP's relatives' oldish compact car is way better for transportation than the old 1940 Plymouth my parents used for transportation when they were first married. And I suspect a 20 something apprentice pipefitter can stand the gaff better than a disabled veteran with a heart condition.
My wife's kid, I have no doubt that he can do renovations. He put his dick where he shouldn't have and made a kid. It happens. ****ed up his life for sure, but he is doing what he can to take care of his kid. Pissed off his mother but now she is in full "Oma" mode and loves our granddaughter as do I. They are just over extending themselves and the pertinent parents (not me as step and 3rd grandpa) are not giving good advice except "good for you". There are two biological grandfathers and one biological grandmother (her biological mother is not involved....the one who threw the coffee pot at my daughter inlaw at Dunkin). 3 months after closing, or come fall when they have to fill the oil tank and pay for a burner service and realize they can't afford the bill, then what? Don't get me wrong, I'm in the midst of looking for my next career, but As long as "Oma" keeps the gas tank full, I'm driving an hour every day to paint and do whatever...... as long as the materials are there.

Oma went to see her kid and the grandchild yesterday....grandchild said "where grandpa?" then Oma came home with a bag of clothing for the girl from TJ Maxx.....

Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 PM

I take back where I said you remind me of my Dad.

He worried too much, but he wouldn't have talked trashy like that about me the way you just did.

There's a mean streak in you, and that's unfortunate.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-05-2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Whew, read the whole thread.
I think the two sides - pro and con- are really based on how one perceives the risk being taken and the potential rewards if it all works out, vs the downside if they run into a series of problems that cause undue stress, leading to a deteriorating financial and personal situation.

The property itself isn't all that bad, for the RIGHT buyers. But are they those people?

I personally would be very wary about putting such a small down payment, carrying PMI, extending the commuting time and costs to work, owning only one car, while having virtually NO wiggle room to handle the inevitable or unexpected costs of maintaining a home.

In fact, I wouldn't buy anything that tapped out my cash, much less something that put me into significant debt unless I had a six month emergency fund.

But I guess that is what credit cards are for, right?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
OP, you need to stop conflating your concerns over how they want to live their adult lives with your practical concerns.

The one-car is the biggest concern of any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is my list too. The well is the biggest issue. Out here we do 4-hour flow tests that are done by well companies, not the regular home inspector. Lenders require 5 gpm so if it isn't flowing at that, the house won't qualify for a loan without a storage tank installed. At least out here they don't.

The staircase is really unfixable and will just be a trip hazard.

We have lots of mold out here especially in 80's and 90's homes. They started tightening up homes in that era and failed to properly vent. Hence lots of mold in that era of home out here. Sellers repair the cause, treat and encapsulate it. Done.

Maybe they want to escape to the woods to get away from family?
They didn't care in NC. Mine makes under 1/4 gallon a minute. But, I know what it will cost to drill it another 200 feet, and was comfortable with it moving in. Wife and I will certainly do so when we start having kids. The other thought is the depth of the well. A well that has 100 feet of water in a 6 inch casement will have 147 gallons in it. A 200 foot casement has almost 300 gallons in it. That's plenty. Shower heads produce 2 gallons/minute, a dishwasher uses 4-6 gallons per cycle, a washing maching (modern ones) 25 gallons.

Regarding the septic: My neighbor's, most of them, have had their tanks for 50 years without replacing them and without problems. You need to have it inspected, but if it works, it works.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM

OMG..... The seller has agreed to possibly address some of the major issues I mentioned. They are getting quotes from contractors. As of today, there are no quotes in yet to my knowledge, the seller still has to agree to the pricing, the work has to get done, THEN, and only then, the closing can be scheduled. Then the closing has to HAPPEN.

These kids started buying furniture today.......

Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Right on! Good for them, we hope!

Tell them not to make too many purchases on credit this close to loan approval. They'll have their credit pulled one more time before it's over! They should talk to their lender if they're not sure what's OK and what isn't right now.

Garage sales with cash = always OK

Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Still to many variables still to make a purchase such as this, and much more urgent things they will need after closing, washer/dryer, paint, yard tools. They already have a couch. And I bet closing is still a month out.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 PM

Oh, and his mother isn't happy about the purchase either. Now is not the time to buy things foolishly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate