Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

I really hope that, with everything else they are trying to do... They do NOT get talked into ripping up their whole back yard in an attempt to have a manicured lawn by Memorial Day. What a waste of good money and energy that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:55 PM

If there really are a lot of ticks around, they should get some chickens! Free range chickens will take care of any ticks AND provide nice fresh eggs.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I really hope that, with everything else they are trying to do... They do NOT get talked into ripping up their whole back yard in an attempt to have a manicured lawn by Memorial Day. What a waste of good money and energy that would be.
Yep.

His dire warnings about the inside went unheeded so he decided to train his sights outdoors.

Quote:
If there really are a lot of ticks around, they should get some chickens! Free range chickens will take care of any ticks AND provide nice fresh eggs.
... and name the loudest rooster Jim.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 AM

898 posts, read 598,017 times
Quote:
I kid you not. 3.2 acres and NO room to set up a chicken coop. Less lawn/moss than my 1/4 acre urban lot. Rocks, trees, and brushy slope....prime tick habitat. I spend way too much time in the woods chasing critters. Turkey season opens here in 2.5 weeks and I need to spray my clothing down with permethrin and make sure I have repellent for bare skin. I still find them crawling on me and one bite last year. We also have a healthy redtail hawk population around the state. Free range chickens won't last long after the hawks find them. What you see in the zillow pics is pretty much all of the lawn. 2 visible neighbors until the leaves pop. One 100yds behind them, and one across the road. Privacy they have. A social environment for the child with other children, not so much.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep.

His dire warnings about the inside went unheeded so he decided to train his sights outdoors.

... and name the loudest rooster Jim.
Rooster Jim....LOL

Old 04-09-2018, 07:46 AM

149 posts, read 226,570 times
After reading a few pages of this I can't imagine why these kids would want to move to a place where parental figures couldn't visit them often...

Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 AM

149 posts, read 226,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wait ... are you unemployed???
And lives with his elderly father...

Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I kid you not. 3.2 acres and NO room to set up a chicken coop. Less lawn/moss than my 1/4 acre urban lot. Rocks, trees, and brushy slope....prime tick habitat. I spend way too much time in the woods chasing critters. Turkey season opens here in 2.5 weeks and I need to spray my clothing down with permethrin and make sure I have repellent for bare skin. I still find them crawling on me and one bite last year. We also have a healthy redtail hawk population around the state. Free range chickens won't last long after the hawks find them. What you see in the zillow pics is pretty much all of the lawn. 2 visible neighbors until the leaves pop. One 100yds behind them, and one across the road. Privacy they have. A social environment for the child with other children, not so much.
Jim.... it's almost pathological, your inability to say anything positive about this place.

OF COURSE there's room there for a chicken coop. You have NO imagination.

If they get a good dog, that can help a lot with hawks and eagles, and other critters that might come around after chickens. I have all of the above here, and haven't lost an adult chicken to a predator yet. ~knock on wood~. Good for them if it doesn't have a huge lawn to mow... I thought that would be a positive!

With any luck, the child will find many friends, maybe even siblings.

And they can build forts in the woods and run and play... it'll be great. I hope the best for them. You just wait.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
And lives with his elderly father...
I live with him to take care of him. He can't drive, can't walk, can't grocery shop, can't really do his laundry, can't reach anything not on the top shelf in the refrigerator, can't clean a dish. Cooking involves the #3 button on the microwave. I just got him back from a doctor appointment, and back out the door to go to his cardiologist to set up an appointment and then to CVS to get a prescription for him. Need to bring him for a minor surgery Thursday, and then a hip replacement surgery on 4/19. I'm currently not earning a paycheck (try to find a new career at 55), but my hands are full. I work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate