U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM

891 posts, read 398,717 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm back. The step dad with the 22yo step son who didn't do a budget before house shopping. Anyway, after being out bid on several properties, they got an offer accepted. They told us the address and we looked it up on Zillow. Nice enough house, 2,400 ft colonial out in the woods on 3 acres. But I could already see a few issues on Zillow that put up red flags for ME, like the lally column in the garage failed and there are two screw jacks on either side, looks like there was at one point a small deck that was removed and replaced with 3 steps and no landing or railing. I could see their toddler taking a face plant right out the door. Anyway, I tell my better half what I see to let her handle it....he's not my kid and I know not to twerk mama bear..... we meet them to look at it and actually got inside. a few minor things like tape joints in a few places between the wall and ceiling need to be redone and you can never blend in to the textured ceiling. But going up to the second floor I almost tripped. From the top tread to the floor is only about 4 inches, not the same as all of the other steps.... anyway, those are my observations. The housing inspector went out yesterday, might be a roof issue, none of the bathroom fans vent to outside, but into the attic, and the inspector stopped the well test as the well was providing less than half of the required flow. AND, the inspector found MOLD in several spots. I think the septic still needs to be inspected but that's 30 years old (house built in 1989). The sellers are retired and have moved out and the wife may have medical issues which is why they moved out of the two floor house. I don't figure they will want to invest several thousand dollars in repairs, but the kids, at their age (22 and 21) are totally emotionally into it, especially after missing out on 4-5 other properties. 300ft gravel driveway on a major incline too and the kids' one vehicle is a Hundai Elantra..... And that part of the state can get several plowable snowstorms over 6 inches per year.

Enough issues for ME, where my inclination would be to try and get my deposit back.

Based on my long drawn out description, what do you all think?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 05:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,139,555 times
I just don't like it.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:22 PM

50,000 posts, read 48,244,919 times
Repairs and trip hazards aside, I would never advise people that age who've never bought a home to take on "3 acres out in the woods" with a well and septic. Never.

Is this house typical of those in your area?

Why are they trying so hard to buy? (I could look through your post history I guess but am hoping not to.)

My nephew and his wife just bought a house in Seattle after a grueling year and a half trying to navigate that hellish market. Their patience paid off. I would advise more patience for your stepson.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:38 PM

8,254 posts, read 4,896,265 times
You sound like my dad. Anything I wanted to do, I'd ask his advice. He'd tell me all the reasons "why not", and if I had an answer for all of those, then the idea was a pretty good idea.

I loved and miss my dad, but he was too much of a worrier to ever enjoy watching me take my own chances.

We don't know the kids, and more important, we don't know the house, or their budget, or their ability to keep up with such a home. It doesn't look like the worst starter home I've ever seen... whether it's a smart move for these kids, depends on the kids, and the details of that inspection report. We have certainly talked a lot of our first time buyers out of homes that found serious issues on inspection. Powder post beetle damage... extensive rot, need for a new roof too soon to budget for... things like that. Fans being re-directed to vents is not a big deal to have done.

Question I would ask is, adding up the repairs pointed out in the inspection report that are likely to need to be done in the next five years, can they afford to do those? If not, ask the sellers to do the major ones. If they can't afford anything, then they should try to find a simpler place that will be lower maintenance.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 PM

8,254 posts, read 4,896,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I just don't like it.
One thing I learned early as a buyer's agent, there's nothing less relevant than what I like or don't like.

Only slightly more important is whether mom and dad like.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,362,953 times
They are very young and you are going to be taken as the 'bad guy' who just does not want them to get a house, not as the guy who wants them to wait until they can get a great house.

So, I'd just say, for whatever the cost estimates for the repairs are, to try to negotiate the seller escrowing the funds so they can get the things fixed---and they do not come to you for help paying for it...and add in the cost for a paint job too!

Old 03-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Status: "Does Anyone Know What They Are Doing Anymore?" (set 5 days ago)

3,936 posts, read 4,526,972 times
They are so very young to be so isolated. And it is isolated. I know, I moved to the country 60 miles from any family when I was young. I can see her getting very depressed at home all day with a toddler, no other young mothers around, no car.........They have one car only? Or one of their cars is a Hyundai? If she will have a vehicle then she has ability to get out and about.

FWIW, I don't like it for them. I hope your wife feels she can express her views if she is honest enough to feel this is not the house for them.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:58 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,128,419 times
Run, don't walk. Run away from this money pit as fast as you can. That's what I would tell them.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:56 PM

17,310 posts, read 9,868,154 times
you haven't made note of enough stuff that if the Seller fixed the immediate repairs the inspector noted that they should automatically cancel their contract, IMO.

Lack of a railing on a 3-step stairs? I'm not mr handy, and I could fashion something together if I chose to.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 AM

16,081 posts, read 21,293,609 times
Well, lets start with whether they asked you your opinion? I think of the concerns you've mentioned, the well and the mold would be immediate concerns.

Perhaps they should ask for funding for remediation for the mold...and a very through inspection of the well. And, depending on the roof condition some consideration for replacement.

Pics show the house is sloped enough to prevent a lot of water, but the garage looks like it could take water during thaws judging from the pic where the driveway meets the garage door and there is a few inches of overland water mark inside which obviously happens during thaws.

Otherwise, if they are already at inspections they are already dealing on the house and you may be too late to advise.

Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or