Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times

Advertisements

If this takes longer than you would prefer, at the very least get this book ASAP - it is written by someone who moved (with her spouse) and left a place she loved and moved to a place she (at least at first) detested...

Some very practical tips! Also some stuff on her blog online!

This Is Where You Belong | Melody Warnick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thank you for your positive post. Yes, it is a nice house (altho I didn't list the bad things).

I had to buy...I had to move from the rental. The market was awful last year everywhere I looked. I looked in FOUR cities. Ruled out one. Then looked in the remaining three.

The one thing I did right was that I bought the smallest house in a nice subdivision.
I’m still not understanding why having to move out from the rental then means you need to buy again NOW when you made such a colossal mistake this last time. I really think renting this time is in your best interest so you can get a feel for whatever town you choose and pick an area you actually like. This will keep you from getting desperate and picking a place in a rush. I have picked a place in a rush before and it ended up working out for me, but to be fair, I had gone through the area before and thought I wanted to move there and also had several other people recommend it to me as a great place to move. I am not as sold on the area where I am now and am continuing to rent until I can make a decision on what area is best for me.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
Yeah i wouldn't like livin in the sticks either.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thank you for your positive post. Yes, it is a nice house (altho I didn't list the bad things).

I had to buy...I had to move from the rental. The market was awful last year everywhere I looked. I looked in FOUR cities. Ruled out one. Then looked in the remaining three.

The one thing I did right was that I bought the smallest house in a nice subdivision.
You didn't have to buy, you could have rented for another year somewhere else. In which case you would have had to move again a year later and you said you wanted to be done moving.

You bought the best house you could for your budget in the nicest area you could afford. REJOICE.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 AM

384 posts, read 376,372 times
Op this is your life , you need to do what makes you happy , reading a book or seeing a therapist wont change the facts. I sold my home just after one year in Colorado. I put it on the market , I got an offer in 6 days , I then found another home and put it under contract with a contingency on the sale of this home. I closed on both a month later within days of each other , it went perfectly. Looking back I have zero regrets. I could still be sitting in Colorado miserable , I could never breath properly there, I always felt like I was suffocating . I was just thankful that I had the ability to move , many people move somewhere and cannot leave due to different circumstances. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:21 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I’m still not understanding why having to move out from the rental then means you need to buy again NOW when you made such a colossal mistake this last time. I really think renting this time is in your best interest so you can get a feel for whatever town you choose and pick an area you actually like. This will keep you from getting desperate and picking a place in a rush. I have picked a place in a rush before and it ended up working out for me, but to be fair, I had gone through the area before and thought I wanted to move there and also had several other people recommend it to me as a great place to move. I am not as sold on the area where I am now and am continuing to rent until I can make a decision on what area is best for me.
This may be what I have to do. Renting is very expensive, which is why I didn't simply move from the rental I had to a new one. Every dollar spent on rental comes off the purchase price of a new house. It would cost me at least $14,000 to $16,000 to rent for one year. I would have to sign a lease, so even if I found a house to buy, I'd have to pay the lease off. Maybe some of that $14k - $16k could represent savings from home repairs, but then I'd have to pay about $400/month for storage of my belongings.

So a cost of say $12k for rental, + $4,800 storage + $5,000 extra move - interest rec'd on net from my house sale - property taxes = $16k to $17k approximate cost to rent for one year that comes off the purchase price of a house. That would impact my ability to buy a house in a desirable area.

This is why I didn't rent in my #1 choice city before and my family found me a good deal on a rental several hours away. But I've been househunting in my city of choice a number of times, so I'm pretty familiar with it, now. But I would have to wait for a house in my #1 areas to come on the market.

If I could lease for 6 mos, it'd be better. I also have a dog. (I had 2 dogs before, so now it's better...but still a little bit of an issue with a dog, and increases cost.)

Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
Op this is your life , you need to do what makes you happy , reading a book or seeing a therapist wont change the facts. I sold my home just after one year in Colorado. I put it on the market , I got an offer in 6 days , I then found another home and put it under contract with a contingency on the sale of this home. I closed on both a month later within days of each other , it went perfectly. Looking back I have zero regrets. I could still be sitting in Colorado miserable , I could never breath properly there, I always felt like I was suffocating . I was just thankful that I had the ability to move , many people move somewhere and cannot leave due to different circumstances. Good luck whatever you decide.
Thank you so much. This gives me hope.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
If this takes longer than you would prefer, at the very least get this book ASAP - it is written by someone who moved (with her spouse) and left a place she loved and moved to a place she (at least at first) detested...

Some very practical tips! Also some stuff on her blog online!

This Is Where You Belong | Melody Warnick
Thank you! I am a book reader, so I will check that out.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 AM

569 posts, read 440,162 times
Sounds like you have had a lot going on in a short amount of time. That can be very stressful in itself as well as the sadness of losing a pet. I know that you are anxious to get to the next place where you can settle in but time goes by very quickly and maybe if you take some of the pressure off of yourself of the "things you should be doing at the house" you might find that you will be less overwhelmed and more able to enjoy the day to day enough where you are no longer miserable. To me, that is more important for you and your quality of life than rushing to sell the house because the quicker you sell, the less equity and time to recoup initial purchase costs. I have lived in a home with older hvac and systems as well and there is some worry about them failing but, worst case scenario, if you did have to replace it would be a wonderful selling point for home.

If the drapes are causing you that much stress, why not get on your local nextdoor and see if you can get a handyman to help with the hardware and a few other small projects so that you can see some "instant results" that you don't have to do yourself.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You didn't have to buy, you could have rented for another year somewhere else. In which case you would have had to move again a year later and you said you wanted to be done moving.

You bought the best house you could for your budget in the nicest area you could afford. REJOICE.
I could have moved into a new rental. There wouldn't have been a new move cost, actually, because I would have left my belongings in storage.

I also had an issue with rentals in that I had 2 medium size dogs. Places accepting of that at a reasonable price were slim. The cost of a "not good deal" rental would have come off the purchase price of a house, as well. (I had checked into rentals before my family got my good deal for me...I was having a lot of trouble finding one.)

The rental I got was owned by extended family who allowed the dogs...cost was great..I didn't have to set up utilities (just pay for them). So that was so helpful.

I did not buy the best house I could for my budget....in the right city. I got burned out and bought nearby and gave up on finding a normal house in a normal area near amenities at a reasonable price. I should not have given up, but I got tired and then thought maybe I was expecting too much. I also had some bad luck...I made an offer on "the one," but they went with a lower offer from a local person. That was devastating. I had a contract on another house that was very pretty....but turned out to have a major defect. I had bad luck #2. The real estate market was insane last year. Bad luck #3. So I just bought something. I made a mistake.

So I was just wondering how to do a contingency purchase. I've never done that. Being a cash buyer did me no good whatsoever, so I don't think it matters if my purchase is a contingency. The offer that I made on "the one," where they took a lower offer...that offer was not only lower, but a contingency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate