Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,544 times

Advertisements

My family was visiting a town we will move to this summer, and on impulse wanted to see a house I liked.

We didn’t have an agent so I called the agent listed with the house and asked if she’d show it to us. She did. It was pretty informal, though I did give her my email.

It’s been a month and we’re considering visiting again and putting in an offer on that house or another one we’re looking at.

We found an agent through our bank, interviewed him on the phone and asked him to show us a bunch of houses his weekend when we visit.

We will likely make an offer on one of those using him.

I called the original listing agent of the first house, and let her know we may put an offer in on that house. I thanked her for showing it and explained we just aren’t comfortable using the same person to represent both us and the seller, and that we have another agent. It just seems like a bad idea, especially since the seller is paying her. She seemed offended. Was I really rude?? What’s the etiquette here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 01:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishshan View Post
My family was visiting a town we will move to this summer, and on impulse wanted to see a house I liked.

We didn’t have an agent so I called the agent listed with the house and asked if she’d show it to us. She did. It was pretty informal, though I did give her my email.

It’s been a month and we’re considering visiting again and putting in an offer on that house or another one we’re looking at.

We found an agent through our bank, interviewed him on the phone and asked him to show us a bunch of houses his weekend when we visit.

I called the original listing agent of the first house, and let her know we may put an offer in on that house. I thanked her for showing it and explained we just aren’t comfortable using the same person to represent both us and the seller, and that we have another agent. It just seems like a bad idea, especially since the seller is paying her. She seemed offended. Was I really rude?? What’s the etiquette here?
The etiquette is that you hire a buyer agent and have them show you the properties that you are interested in and write offers through them. In second home markets, this kind of stuff happens all the time because of impulse home buyers, which it sounds like you might be.

So what you should have done was let your buyer agent know that you interviewed on the phone that you might want to put an offer in on that house and let him talk to the listing agent. It is kind of weird that you called the listing agent to tell them you might be writing an offer when you decided to hire a buyer agent. Let the buyer agent represent you, and don't worry about the rest.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 PM

199 posts, read 184,051 times
No, you were not wrong. The listing agent is just disappointed that she will not get both commissions. As a buyer you are better off having your own agent. The listing agent should be happy to know that you might be making an offer.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Yes, there are some agents that seem to think once they show you a property, they are (or will be) "Your" agent for the rest of your life. Or for the rest of their life, whichever ends first.
So, yes, that agent quite likely considers you to be rude and unethical.
Personally, I would not let it worry me.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:19 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Please let the agent you plan to use know about all of this. There is a thing called procuring cause which that first agent has so the agent you want to choose should know what has happened before. And like Silver fall has already said, letting the two agents work it out is the best thing to do.

While I don't think what you did is wrong I don't think you should have to be in the middle of this trying to work it out if you have no buyers agreement signed with the first agent.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:

I think she took it as an insult that you would think she wouldn't handle both sides fairly. Maybe she is just greedy and wanted the whole 6%. Perhaps it would have been better to say that you have an agent and is that a problem with her.

You didn't sign a contract with her, so I don't see why she's upset unless she's just greedy or petty and non professional. What makes her think showing you a home entitles her to double commission?

Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
My family was visiting a town we will move to this summer, and on impulse wanted to see a house I liked.<>She seemed offended. Was I really rude?? What’s the etiquette here?
The only etiquette here is if someone buys she gets paid.
"It's not personal, it's business"

Old 03-09-2018, 02:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think she took it as an insult that you would think she wouldn't handle both sides fairly.
Exactly.

OP, while it was a nice idea to call her, it was poorly executed.

You didn't really owe her a "courtesy call," and it was a little much to go into the whole "double dipping implication" explanation.

Most agents know why people hire buyer's agents. You basically insinuated that you thought she wouldn't be honest with you. You should have left all that out and just said something like, "I wanted to thank you again for showing us the house last month and let you know we've hired a buyer's agent and will be putting in an offer."

Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Eh, if you wanted a buyers agent you should of gotten one to show you the houses.

Bringing in an agent just to write an offer is pretty bad form IMO once you've already been shown properties by another agent, her listing or not.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:06 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

You didn't do anything wrong, except you might have had your agent make the call to the listing agent.

Yeah, it is better if you work with a buyers agent right out of the chute, but it also is not a perfect world out there.
The agent may have thought you had a business relationship and been surprised.
So it goes.
"Offended?" Hah. If so, you dodged a bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate