Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:03 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,584,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No. we can't agree on that. I am incentivized by all kinds of personal, educational, professional, and other rewards that have nothing to do any one commission check.

I am helping three different sisters find separate properties.

I have helped a mother and a son find properties.

I did a free CMA for a former client who has used me for two transactions but is now buying a FSBO.

I helped two brothers find places too.... just remembered that!

You know what else these people all have in common? They live here, and also know other people in town. I hope they all would recommend me. That's my incentive.

Redfin is just another brokerage. They all have something they try to use to make themselves stand out. Apparently their marketing is working with YOU. It's not making a huge impact here, yet, in fact, most properties here, if you click them on their web page, it sends you to the listing broker, or some other "partner agent" because there are no (or not many) Redfin agents in this area.
I have no love for Redfin. Yes, I do see some positive things in their marketing and how they seem to be building a strong brand. I have no idea whether it will be successful or not. I think they will have lots of challenges. I also think that change to the industry will involve a lot of failed attempts. Redfin may be one of them or may not be. No idea. No stake in them. I don't own shares in them. I don't work for them.

I was clear in my post just now and in the past that 'incentive plan or structure' is being used as 'compensation plan'.

Nobody is saying that you and others don't have a range of motivators in your job. No different from any job. What motivates you personally should not be confused with how you are paid. Consumers have no idea what individual agents are truly motivated by. And these things can change week by week even for a single agent. But what they can evaluate, however, is how they are paid - that should be clear and easy to understand.

Redfin agents (assuming their website is true) have customer satisfaction as one of the factors in their compensation plan.

Traditional agents do not, in my understanding. This is fact and there should be no confusion or 'cute' language around it. It's black and white. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Presumably C-sat is important to Redfin so they made it part of their compensation plan. Others might say it's important to them but Redfin directly pays agents (in part) for it.

Traditional brokers can design their compensation plan however they wish, including making c-sat part of it. But they haven't done this and it's not part of their compensation plan.

Am I wrong?

I think we differ in that I think that it's unscrupulous and fraudulent to make statements that might suggest or mislead anyone to think that traditional agents' compensation plan (or incentive plan or sales incentive plan) includes c-sat. There's being cute and 'spinning' things but I don't think this is the place to 'spin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 02:11 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,164,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we will try ONE MORE TIME with you...
we'll try again, since you've clearly ignored it, and who knows what unsuspecting consumer might only see your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because
We've had traditional agents on this forum outright lie and say that they too are incentivized by customer satisfaction when that is not the case with traditional agents
we will try ONE MORE TIME with you...

Quote:
Quote:
incentive: something that incites or tends to incite to action or greater effort, as a reward offered for increased productivity.
if you want to break it down into incentive vs immediate compensation, that would be a different matter. You have chosen time and again NOT to.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:31 PM

14,430 posts, read 11,995,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Redfin agents (assuming their website is true) have customer satisfaction as one of the factors in their compensation plan.

Traditional agents do not, in my understanding. This is fact and there should be no confusion or 'cute' language around it. It's black and white. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Presumably C-sat is important to Redfin so they made it part of their compensation plan. Others might say it's important to them but Redfin directly pays agents (in part) for it.

Traditional brokers can design their compensation plan however they wish, including making c-sat part of it. But they haven't done this and it's not part of their compensation plan.

Am I wrong?

I think we differ in that I think that it's unscrupulous and fraudulent to make statements that might suggest or mislead anyone to think that traditional agents' compensation plan (or incentive plan or sales incentive plan) includes c-sat. There's being cute and 'spinning' things but I don't think this is the place to 'spin'.
My brokerage doesn't have a 'compensation plan'. I am an independent contractor. I pay them a percentage of the income I bring in, not the other way around.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
There's being cute and 'spinning' things but I don't think this is the place to 'spin'.
I agree.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,410,598 times
All I know is I interviewed a Redfin agent to sell my home . He suggested I sell for $400k
I soon after listed for $489k and sold for $500k soon after .

Like I said before guy was nice enough guy etc but I was shocked at his valuation .

That’s not “a little “ under market.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:03 PM

10,950 posts, read 21,932,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The success of the transaction has more to do with the individual skills and talents of the people involved, than the particular brokerage they're with.

It's the people who make things work, or not.... not the name.
This is a good and true statement. I was going to post something similar but Diana said it so well I thought I'd just highlight hers again.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:46 AM

40,939 posts, read 49,070,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
All I know is I interviewed a Redfin agent to sell my home . He suggested I sell for $400k
I soon after listed for $489k and sold for $500k soon after .

Like I said before guy was nice enough guy etc but I was shocked at his valuation .

That’s not “a little “ under market.
I've seen this quite a lot with Redfin in my area. They tend to under price a home.

A neighbor of mine was real proud he sold his home quickly and saved some money. I didn't have the heart to tell him he left about $25,000 on the table.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:50 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,573,411 times
Quote:
Am I wrong?
Why do you keep asking this and ignoring when the wildly vast majority says “yes, you’re wrong”?

Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM

I would assume that Redfin agents suggest a list price based upon their AVM.

I'm looking at a house today. 3 AVM's plus the tax value (which is basically another AVM, only around here it's only done every 8 years).

Zillow: 512K
CoreLogic: 400 median -450K max
Redfin: 464K

Last 2 (within 120 days) very similar homes in the neighborhood : $490K and $505K.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,410,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would assume that Redfin agents suggest a list price based upon their AVM.

I'm looking at a house today. 3 AVM's plus the tax value (which is basically another AVM, only around here it's only done every 8 years).

Zillow: 512K
CoreLogic: 400 median -450K max
Redfin: 464K

Last 2 (within 120 days) very similar homes in the neighborhood : $490K and $505K.
Yeah I was thinking that too . The number he suggested was close to the Redfin estimate .
It’s funny because now the Redfin estimate is like $630,000 . No way the market changed that much .

I wonder if the people that bought the house 6 months ago If they tried to sell it if Redfin would suggest $630,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate