Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 AM

203 posts, read 253,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well they did actually offer higher than the list price, but they did get us to agree to repairs. It crossed my mind when discussing the repairs, but ultimately it wasn't really a factor for me. Technically the seller is only paying their own agent who shares it with the buyer's agent (who for Redfin then shares some with the buyer), but I know some sellers may not see it that way.

I don't think it will really effect your initial offer but if anything, it may effect your ability to negotiate closing costs. So you might want to build in a little cushion with your offer or something. However I bet a lot of sellers may not even know much about Redfin and that a refund from them is even a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAvery815 View Post
We purchased using Redfin - a house in the $600K range. We were up against a 2nd offer, and we're now on friendly terms with the previous owners and have discussed the transaction. It did not impact their decision or negotiating either way that we were using Redfin.

We also sold using Redfin and had 5 offers - one of which was from a buyer using Redfin. It did not impact our decision in any way. Obviously we're pro Redfin though and think well of the process they use, but it also didn't make us more likely to pick the Redfin buyer. It always came down to cash in our pockets at the end of the deal.
Thanks for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
The success of the transaction has more to do with the individual skills and talents of the people involved, than the particular brokerage they're with.

It's the people who make things work, or not.... not the name.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:02 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I suppose that's based on:

1. They pay a salary so the model isn't to hire volumes of agents knowing that a large percentage will be duds. Everyone must be a star and align to the brand's promise.
2. They invest in building a strong brand - it's not a loose brand like the franchises. People's experience (good or bad) with Redfin sticks to Redfin. Bad agents will ruin the brand. Not so with KW, Re/Max, etc, etc.

No. It's based on the fact that they have an employer-employee relationship so they can dictate many things that you can't do with an independent contractor relationship. I think they screen better for agents that will be successful in their company culture and business style whereas franchises/traditional brokerages tend to bring everyone on board and see who sticks. It is just a different mindset.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No. It's based on the fact that they have an employer-employee relationship so they can dictate many things that you can't do with an independent contractor relationship. I think they screen better for agents that will be successful in their company culture and business style whereas franchises/traditional brokerages tend to bring everyone on board and see who sticks. It is just a different mindset.
I don't understand the 'No'. We're saying pretty much the same thing and I agree with your logic 100%. By 'align to the brand's promise' I meant exactly what you say above.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I don't understand the 'No'. We're saying pretty much the same thing and I agree with your logic 100%. By 'align to the brand's promise' I meant exactly what you say above.
You said everyone must be a star and that isn't true. They have agents there that aren't stars.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You said everyone must be a star and that isn't true. They have agents there that aren't stars.
Must be = should be. Doesn't mean they necessarily all are. But when you are paying salaries, they better be. Anyway, I linked 'star' to aligning with the brand which doesn't necessarily mean highest producer in the 'old school' model. In fact, if they are trying to disrupt, the last thing they probably want is a bunch of extremely experienced top earners who are unlikely to change their stripes (and unlikely to want to give up the big bucks) to fit into the culture of a new model. They have their definition of 'star' and (like you say) they screen carefully to make sure they get their stars.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Idiots. Trashy behavior.

Years ago, Redfin paid MLS fines for reviewing and criticizing listings.
House Reviews on Redfin Shutdown By MLS

I would file a formal complaint if a Redfin employee pulled that crap on my house, or on one of my listings.
Yawn. That was 11 years ago. And it was about blogging that people didn't like. And resolved.

I worry more about the (still) licensed agents here that hurl racially charged insults at consumers. Like 'ESL' which is code for 'foreigner'. I think those likely serious violations of federal housing laws are more disturbing than something that happened 11 years ago and has long been resolved. Let's think about filing formal complaints against these real and serious violations rather than blustering about filing formal complaints against hypothetical Redfin agents writing hypothetical blogs about Mike Jaquish's house.

And we regularly see other legal and ethical violations. Right here on this thread. And one a couple of weeks ago with outrageously misrepresented claims. But let's worry more about something that was resolved 11 years ago or hypothetical blogs.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Yawn. That was 11 years ago. And it was about blogging that people didn't like. And resolved.

I worry more about the (still) licensed agents here that hurl racially charged insults at consumers. Like 'ESL' which is code for 'foreigner'.
first, perhaps you can link us to this charge someone made against you that you've grown fond of in the last 36 hours. And ESL would actually be code for "poor use and grasp of the language since it's not your native tongue"

Last edited by BoBromhal; 03-15-2018 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:

I worry more about the (still) licensed agents here that hurl racially charged insults at consumers. Like 'ESL' which is code for 'foreigner'. I think those likely serious violations of federal housing laws are more disturbing than something that happened 11 years ago and has long been resolved. Let's think about filing formal complaints against these real and serious violations rather than blustering about filing formal complaints against hypothetical Redfin agents writing hypothetical blogs about Mike Jaquish's house.

And we regularly see other legal and ethical violations. Right here on this thread. And one a couple of weeks ago with outrageously misrepresented claims. But let's worry more about something that was resolved 11 years ago or hypothetical blogs.
ESL isn't "code" for a foreigner. When people ask if someone is ESL, it is generally because they don't use words correctly, don't understand the vernacular or idioms, or don't have a good grasp of grammar. The reason someone probably thought you might be ESL is that you often choose words that have a high intensity to them and use them to write about situations that don't require high intensity. I can see why someone would think you are ESL as a result. Either you are over dramatic or don't understand the proper use of those words. I just assumed you were an overly dramatic type of person since you find a lot of things shocking, disturbing, reckless, outrageous etc. and everything is an ethical violation of some sort.

Suggesting that someone might be ESL on a forum in no way violates fair housing. Violating fair housing laws would be

1) I won't sell to Muslims
2) Don't bring me a Mexican buyer.
3) I don't rent to families
4) You don't want to live over there. That's where the blacks live.

On and on.

A real estate agent could say, "I don't like Hispanics." That does not violate fair housing laws unless they discriminate against Hispanics in the real estate process (buying, selling, leasing). If a real estate agent said, "I don't like Hispanics and I don't want them living by me," they can expect to have fair housing testers all over them to see if they are discriminating. You can have an ugly soul for a human being and not violate fair housing laws. It is more likely that an agent like that would violate fair housing laws, but they might not.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:17 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
every
stop
responding
and
it
will
go
away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate