Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,926,242 times

Advertisements

In a previous house I converted a formal dining room into an extra bedroom with a half bath.
It turned out great and was so happy we did it. It turned out to be a positive feature when we sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:34 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I don't use a dining room. It seems like it just collects dust. lol If I have a small area in the kitchen for a small table and chairs, it works for me. Even a bar in the kitchen where I can put stools will work. When company is over, we seem to congregate in the living room. It would give me more space for a 3rd bedroom as opposed to 2 bedrooms and a dining room. How would this affect resale? Nothing is ever permanent so I need to keep this in mind.
If the kitchen is an eat-in kitchen, then I wouldn't hesitate to convert the dining room into a bedroom.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Nope. We wouldn't buy a house without a dining room. We actually eat in ours! We also have big get togethers and use our dining room. I wouldn't buy a 2 bedroom house with a dining room. I wouldn't buy a 3 bedroom no dining room house either. Do whatever works for you, but know that you may to undo whatever you do if you ever need to sell.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
So, let's say for resale, would you rather have the 3rd bedroom or a dining room and 2 bedrooms? I will be building so I am able to design it the way I like. I would have an eat in kitchen and a bar with stools. BTW, thanks for all the great responses
Neither. I would want at least 3 bedrooms and a dining room. I'd really prefer 4 bedrooms due to our lifestyle. Something this small just wouldn't work for us.

Bar stools do not work for me at all! I'm VERY short and I have a VERY hard time climbing up bar stools. They're NOT comfortable. My legs dangle and fall asleep. I wouldn't want to come over for dinner or anything where I needed to use those bar stools. It's quite embarrassing how I have to climb up them.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,850 times
Hi, my house has five bedrooms on three floors, but my husband and I are disabled and older and so we need first floor living. The Dining room gave us that option, we have a 1/2 bath on the first floor but we have a handicapped shower that we are going to install, making it a full bath and laundry.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
Dining room, who needs them? Isn't that what sofas are for?

Personally, I have a dining room that's used maybe 4 times per year. Can't close it off though as my house is an open floor plan with 12+ foot high ceilings.

If you have the space and a window for the "room", then I say go for it!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
I lived in a 3/2 ranch with a formal dining room. It was a popular floor plan in that subdivision, although a lot of people used that room as a study/office or another living area. Some people up the street closed off the opening with a door, added closets on one wall and called it a bedroom. I never could see how it worked well because to get to the bathroom, you had to walk down the entry hall and cross the living room.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
I don't have a separate formal dining room, just a nook off the kitchen. I would love to have a formal dining room, not so much to host formal dinners (other than for the holidays), but to enjoy dining in a beautiful, quiet room set aside for dining that is not in view of dishes, pots or pans. I don't like breakfast bars or open kitchens, either.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM

151 posts, read 107,530 times
Our fine dining is done in front of the TV these days, and in the kitchen nook when our kids were younger. When we moved in we didn't know what the heck to do with our separate dining room, until we had the genius idea to turn it into a game room for the kids! Slapped up a pretty french door, installed a TV and love seat, and boom, it shut out their noise and video game shenanigans. When they were teenagers that's where they took their friends when they had company over.

Now that the youngest is moving out, I've already called dibs, and I'm turning that space into a craft/hobby room. WAY more fun and practical than keeping it as a space that's only used a handful of times a year.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,002 times
I have considered expanding my garage into the dining room. My truck barely fits in the garage with about 2" in front and 2" in the back which makes it a PITA to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate