Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
A vacation house with a trailer in CA. I'm picturing something like what Jim Rockford had?
A vacation "house" has never been mentioned. I'm picturing just a mobile home on some land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 AM

857 posts, read 959,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
A vacation "house" has never been mentioned. I'm picturing just a mobile home on some land.
A manufactured home on a very picturesque land.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:47 AM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I am looking to buy a property. I was planning to get a loan to buy it, but it turns out this must be a "all cash purchase" because it has a mobile home on it and cannot do loans. So Plan B for me is to sell another property I have to fund this. Problem with Plan B is, doing so takes at least 1-2 months; but this property I want to buy may get an offer after this weekend.

So my Plan C is this: I will get my brother to buy this property (I know they have cash in stocks and can convert into cash quickly); I plan to offer them - in one years time, if they like the property, they can keep it; if they don't like the property, I will buy it from them at a price that is 120% of what they pay now. I think one year is definitely enough time for me to do my sale.

My question is this - if and when it comes time for me to buy it from my brother, do we still have to go through a broker to do this and pay the 6% commission? (that seems unnecessary to me) Is there a way for us to do this transaction and take care of all paperwork ourselves with minimal cost?
Agent no

Lawyer yes

Old 03-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I am looking to buy a property. I was planning to get a loan to buy it, but it turns out this must be a "all cash purchase" because it has a mobile home on it and cannot do loans.
Quote:
A manufactured home on a very picturesque land.
Then why can't you get a loan?

Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
He said 'vacation property' so I should have said that instead of "vacation house". My apologies for that egregious error.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
He said 'vacation property' so I should have said that instead of "vacation house". My apologies for that egregious error.
Egregious? Don't go overboard. No need to criticize your own posts so dramatically (save that for the RE agents! ). I was just seeking to clarify his situation, since specific facts can make a difference. (Sarcasm and joking don't always transmit well over the internet, but if that was your intention...I apologize for my egregious oversight!)

Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
uhh...what is this supposed to mean?
I'm sorry if everything must be 1,000 words in order to be understood. See, he asked this question:

Quote:
My question is this - if and when it comes time for me to buy it from my brother, do we still have to go through a broker to do this and pay the 6% commission?
My answer was:

Quote:
a broker, regardless of compensation, isn't required in any real estate transaction until one or both parties has hired a broker.
a broker isn't required in any real estate transaction.
a broker doesn't need to be paid 6%, even if you use one.
if a party comes into a sale/purchase arrangement and "one or both party has hired a broker" (assuming on an exclusive agency basis), that's when a broker has to be involved ("go through").

have you had the time to link us to your "a broker claimed I was ESL" charge? this seems an appropriate time to remind you to do so, given that my short answer confused you so much.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Egregious? Don't go overboard. No need to criticize your own posts so dramatically (save that for the RE agents! ). I was just seeking to clarify his situation, since specific facts can make a difference. (Sarcasm and joking don't always transmit well over the internet, but if that was your intention...I apologize for my egregious oversight!)
Yes, I was being sarcastic. You're right that this was a relevant point to some of the streams of discussion on this thread and although my error was in a clearly flippant comment, others could pick up on it and it could create misunderstanding and confusion. And poor quality information for consumers. Guilty as charged.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:30 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
(I know they have cash in stocks and can convert into cash quickly)
Quote:
In fact, I had a few times hinted to him, that he should invest in real estate instead of stocks, but I did not want to outright meddle in his money affairs.
These statements are huge WARNING signs to me. There is far more going on below the surface than what we're reading in these posts.

My advice is to avoid giving any advice in this thread.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Why on earth would you need a broker? You already have a buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate