Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 12:45 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
The picture above is kind of blurry but you get the gist. I have 5 different neighbors whose homes boarder our property. So the two on here have taken advantage of the land due to it being wooded and not easy to see. I do know the laws. Here in Wisconsin, if they were using part of our land for 20 years, they could lay claim to it under "adverse possession". I read the laws, by-laws and statues. Yes, someday (hopefully sooner than later) we will sell this property move. I want the next owner to not have to deal with this. The spouse and I really don't want to spend any large amount of money dealing with this problem (if at all possible). So, I think we will measure it (with survey in hand) this weekend or next. If the neighbors don't come out asking what we are doing, I will send them a letter with a copy of the survey and let them know we are going to put up a fence soon. (we have no intention of spending money on a fence). We shall see how they react. The shed the one neighbor put up is just a metal shed. In this pic, it shows he has a pool. He no longer has it. He put in a fit pit instead.
I think the problem with him is that this land used to be a farmers land. The old house and barn are on the opposite side of us. (Those are the only neighbors we converse with the most). The neighbor with the shed has firewood stacked up on the old farmer's wire fence that still exsists but is actually on our property. That fence runs about 100 feet into the woods. I just hope that they don't act like jerks when we bring this problem up.
I appreciate all that replied, even if I didn't agree
My inlaws had a piece of property that the neighbor used their driveway to reach his yard. When they sold the property to an "investor" he took them to court over the neighbor having claim to the driveway land since he always used it. Not only did the sale not go through, my inlaws had to pay the "investor" $23,000.00. Turns out he looked for properties with adverse possession/boundary issues and this wasn't his first Rodeo! The long time neighbors refused to help by putting in their own driveway. My husband had tried for years to get his Dad to address the issue but he thought it was silly. Didn't think it was so silly after all the Lawyer fees and writing a $23,000 check to the "investor"! He did sell the land to the neighbors on the other side, Lawyers that said they would take care of the driveway issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
I'd also suggest getting a trespass citation issued. If someone gets hurt but you had a trespass citation, they'd be in violation and I wouldn't think, could sue you.
If there is a dispute on who owns the land, especially with the shed involved, the police will not act until this dispute has been handled, and it has been settled to who actually owns the land. Especially when there is no survey marking the legal boundaries. What you posted is not a legal survey, with the boundary corners marked. The police cannot just look at your pictures and say who owns the land. The police are not going to get involved in a boundary dispute, and take either parties side in such a situation.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:35 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
I wouldn’t rely 100% on the online Plat/GIS overlay. You’re definitely going to need a survey for the shed.
No no, the picture was just Google Earth. I have the Actual Plat Survey that was done when we bought the property. No worries. I got this.

I am taking care of it this weekend...my spouse has been working a lot of overtime so I said last night that I was going to take care of this myself. My spouse said "That's my girl'

Old 03-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If there is a dispute on who owns the land, especially with the shed involved, the police will not act until this dispute has been handled, and it has been settled to who actually owns the land. Especially when there is no survey marking the legal boundaries. What you posted is not a legal survey, with the boundary corners marked. The police cannot just look at your pictures and say who owns the land. The police are not going to get involved in a boundary dispute, and take either parties side in such a situation.
I sure hope you'all are reading my recent posts. I Know The Pic I Posted Isn't The Actual Survey.
Good Lord. LOLOLOLOL

Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
No no, the picture was just Google Earth. I have the Actual Plat Survey that was done when we bought the property. No worries. I got this.

I am taking care of it this weekend...my spouse has been working a lot of overtime so I said last night that I was going to take care of this myself. My spouse said "That's my girl'
Two things:

1) You can't do much without the missing marker since it's most likely been removed by you know who.

2) I wouldn't go over there by myself in case they get weirded out. You don't know how they will react.

Last edited by mlulu23; 03-23-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
I sure hope you'all are reading my recent posts. I Know The Pic I Posted Isn't The Actual Survey.
Good Lord. LOLOLOLOL
And therein lies the problem with forum posting.

Some don't read all posts, some read the first post then jump in, some read a few posts and can't help themselves and comment on something that was resolved further into the thread.

What can ya do? Roll with it, ignore those posts that are severely out of line. Meh, that's why I pretty much do not start threads.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
On your pic links above... I see a black screen with ONE white pixel in the middle.
I'm glad you see it too, I wasn't sure if there was a pixel missing on my screen.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:26 PM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
I posted earlier on the thread, but I'd just like to re-emphasize that you not do this alone. People get strange about stuff like this, and it's best to have a second person there just in case of a he said, she said, scenario.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Quote:

Ok. Cool. I know my county does this GIS overlay thing on our CAD website and it’s off by about 5-10 feet.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Two things:

1) You can't do much without the missing marker since it's mostly likely been removed by you know who.

2) I wouldn't go over there by myself in case they get weirded out. You don't know how they will react.
My spouse said the two back posts from original survey Are there. So, since I know where the lot starts in the front ( telephone box sets the front north east point), it's just a matter of measuring. We have a 300 foot tape measure so, yeah, I'll be fine.
I may say nothing to the neighbors for now---unless they come outside and ask what I am doing
We are thinking of putting a partial fence in starting at 1st encroaching neighbor and around to other encroaching neighbor which would make the fence a L shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate