Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 01:41 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
My spouse said the two back posts from original survey Are there. So, since I know where the lot starts in the front ( telephone box sets the front north east point), it's just a matter of measuring. We have a 300 foot tape measure so, yeah, I'll be fine.
I may say nothing to the neighbors for now---unless they come outside and ask what I am doing
We are thinking of putting a partial fence in starting at 1st encroaching neighbor and around to other encroaching neighbor which would make the fence a L shape.
Best of luck, and stay safe .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Quote:
My spouse said the two back posts from original survey Are there. So, since I know where the lot starts in the front ( telephone box sets the front north east point), it's just a matter of measuring. We have a 300 foot tape measure so, yeah, I'll be fine.
I may say nothing to the neighbors for now---unless they come outside and ask what I am doing
We are thinking of putting a partial fence in starting at 1st encroaching neighbor and around to other encroaching neighbor which would make the fence a L shape.
The partial fence sounds like a fantastic idea. Trespassers unfortunately don't usually respond well to anything but a fence.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:19 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
I have mentioned in the past that fences ought to be part of the transaction. It clarifies boundaries and removes issues with neighbors.

I wonder though, how did OP knew they were encroaching? It looks to me with a big land it would be easy to not know your boundaries unless you remeasure and fence.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I have mentioned in the past that fences ought to be part of the transaction. It clarifies boundaries and removes issues with neighbors.

I wonder though, how did OP knew they were encroaching? It looks to me with a big land it would be easy to not know your boundaries unless you remeasure and fence.
She stated farther into the thread that with the loss of tree leaf cover (winter does that ) and that she had taken a walk and noticed this encroachment.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
While I agree with a survey, not all of us can get them for a couple of hundred. In my area, a survey is $500-$700 and those I know that have gotten them have lots under half an acre. I assume they go up on bigger or more complex lots.
I don't necessarily think that larger acreages cost that much more to survey. I believe that was the cost to divide a 40 acre plot into four lots in my area. And, when the first wooden corner stakes "disappeared", they came out again (I think for free), and put in long metal stakes at the corners and spray painted trees and the ground, at various spots along the lot lines. (They were supposed to put in metal stakes in the beginning).

Quote:
There is one left on the southwest of the back of the property(which is open and all lawn) but the neighbor with the dirt bike removed the other one on the southeast corner (which is in the woods and him and I share those woods because his property butts up against ours.)
Isn't it against the law to remove permanent lot markers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Wow! Reminds me of watching the neighbor behind me move the property stake that the builder of a new home next to his had put in the ground to mark the lot line. I saw him move it at least three times. Each time he moved it about a foot and a half.
I certainly hope that you told someone about that.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Is the information about the telephone box taken from the survey you have or just from your belief that it marks the corner? In my area, those boxes are placed "approximately" and are no substitute for an accurate measurement. Sounds like the two rear markers will be useful.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:48 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:

ok, these are kind of blurry but can you see them now? LOL
Yes, thanks, much better.

I don't blame you, I'd want that trash off my property, too!

Old 03-26-2018, 01:14 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Measured property with spouse on Sunday. No neighbors came outside, which I'm surprised about. Anyway, we have decided to put up a Green "snow fence" type thing for just the section of property that has woods on it. It will be about 250 feet and will include both of those "encroaching" neighbors. (it will be in the shape of an "L") Bought the 6 foot metal stakes, fencing and signs this weekend. Just have to wait until the ground thaws out. Damn Wisconsin. Ha!
Thanks all that replied

Old 03-26-2018, 03:56 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Measured property with spouse on Sunday. No neighbors came outside, which I'm surprised about. Anyway, we have decided to put up a Green "snow fence" type thing for just the section of property that has woods on it. It will be about 250 feet and will include both of those "encroaching" neighbors. (it will be in the shape of an "L") Bought the 6 foot metal stakes, fencing and signs this weekend. Just have to wait until the ground thaws out. Damn Wisconsin. Ha!
Thanks all that replied
Keep posting about what happens as you go along.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Keep posting about what happens as you go along.

Will do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate