Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM

151 posts, read 108,019 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Canada but own a condo in Phoenix, Arizona worth about $130k. We barely use it right now because we run a business and that takes a lot of our time. We're planning to sell the business in about 18 months and become snowbirds. Yipee!

At some point we want to sell the condo and either buy or rent a small single family home in the Phoenix area) for about four months a year. We are open to either of those scenarios.

Here's the question for you all: Should we sell now or should we sell in two years when we retire? What do you guess will happen with the Phoenix area RE market between now and then? If we sell now and wait until another correction before we buy again, we'd be golden. But if the market doesn't correct for, like, eight years, we'd have to rent for eight winters. Not golden. If we hold off selling for two years or more, we might make more money if the market keeps inching up, but if the market corrects before that we'd lose some purchasing power. Of course, we'd also have to pay more if we buy again unless we wait until the market eventually corrects. Also, who's on first? LOL.

Or...we could sell the condo and covert it to Canadian cash for about a 1.30 exchange rate (which would give us $170k CAD) and just never go back to AZ. But that would be so sad!!

This is more of a brain teaser than a cry for help - we're just interested in hearing what other people have to say. Do tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 PM

169 posts, read 200,100 times
Are you paying a mortgage?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:27 PM

34,174 posts, read 83,298,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
We barely use it right now because...
Should we sell now or ...?
Yes sell it now or start the process now to be ready to sell next buying season.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:36 PM

151 posts, read 108,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatie3 View Post
Are you paying a mortgage?
We have a small mortgage on our Canadian home that will be paid off by the time we retire. The US condo is paid for.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 PM

169 posts, read 200,100 times
If you aren’t paying a mortgage on the condo I think it’s fine to wait or sell now, either. The reason to wait would be the illiquidity— don’t knock it. I know it sounds strange. Having you money tied up can be good, in practice not in theory. My opinion is don’t wait to “time the market” that overthinking and it’s not worth enough to bother anyway. Trying to time the market may stress you...on the other hand it’s not worth enough to lose a lot...so if you want to try...Good luck in your retirement.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 AM

8,579 posts, read 12,490,411 times
If you're not using it and you plan to sell it relatively soon, I'd go ahead and sell it now. Get out from under the taxes and insurance and take advantage of the good market now. Who knows what the next two years will bring? Congress and the stock market may come to grips with the fact that the U.S. national debt is spiraling out of control and it's time to pay the piper. Or...ignorance could remain bliss. All bets are off. Selling now seems to be more of a sure thing; or at least a conservative, prudent thing to do.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,414,379 times
I just returned from a visit to our son in the Phoenix area. I'm not an expert, just a casual observer of the real estate market there.

I know that rental prices are increasing steadily there. It also seems that the market prices are increasing in general. That may not be true in all areas of the Phoenix metro. It certainly seems true in desirable suburbs and the downtown area. Whether you wait or not depends on your tolerance for gambling with the market.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,833,784 times
Right now you have an investment that you can sell. Prices are going up. The market is correcting. another housing bubble burst will not happen as lenders are not writing bad mortgages to sell on Wall Street which is what happened last time.

Rents and home prices are going up. You have to weigh how much 4 months premium winter rentals cost and how easy they are to get versus your HOA fees and taxes and insurance.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:22 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,049,562 times
Sell. No one can predict, with any appreciable accuracy what can happen to the market, your property, or you in 18 months.

It's not just carrying costs like taxes, HOA dues, and routine maintenance--it's a special assessment to fix the pool or a HOA lawsuit, your HVAC dies a catastrophic death and needs replaced. I know I sound morbid, but if you can come out ahead today, why risk it?

I learned the hard way. Not by trying to time the market, but by having a job-related, cross-country move creating a second domicile issue--these things are not always ours to control. It seems like you are in a positive position--it might be worth taking the advantage.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,203,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
At some point we want to sell the condo and either buy or rent a small single family home in the Phoenix area) for about four months a year. We are open to either of those scenarios.
I'm a landlord and my rental houses are in Phoenix.

Forget renting a house for four months a year. Ain't gonna happen. The hassle of moving a tenant in, and then out, far exceed any profit I might make. And I have to pay my Realtor $1,000 flat fee for each new rental contract.

I once had this exact scenario, they wanted to rent my house for four months while house hunting. I flat turned them down. About a week later they decided to lease it for a year. They stayed 1-2 years and then bought their own house. BTW they were good tenants!

Nobody will rent you a house for four months unless you pay the equivalent of a full year's rent. I doubt even an apartment would do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate