Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:27 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

When I was a teenager (a ..... "few" yrs. ago, LOL) - I had one black wall and the others a med. purple color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 01:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Being a home inspector, I've seen interior walls that I've tried to forget! But the worst exterior color was bright yellow with red trim. It looked to me like a bloody egg yoke. History behind it was that a couple just down the street from my house got a divorce, and the wife got the house. Supposedly their divorce agreement stated that the husband was to paint the house. It stayed that way for nearly a month. Not sure if he had to repaint it or if she got someone else to paint it. I'd have volunteered to help. I had to drive past it every day! Ugly!

Old 03-26-2018, 01:39 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Thanks for the great responses! I have to be honest though, I have always loved red. When my dad painted the bathroom, it was an explosion of red. I liked it, at the time. But the years went on and it was a bit much. One wall, a contrast wall, I could see red but all the walls red was a bit strong.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My bedroom in high school and college had black and white shag carpet. One wall covered in wallpaper that was basically hundreds of different hand drawn black and white smiley faces. The other three walls were black. The furniture was black and white (mostly black). the curtains were black. The decorations consisted of black light posters. The room was lighted with black lights and strobe lights. (There were some regular lights too for boring days).

oh and I had black bed-sheets as well.

The room that wasn't there.

In a rental house we painted one room entirely with oops paint. The paint available in enough quantity for the walls was a brilliant turquoise. Way too bright to be tolerable. We then bought all of the ooops quarts for about a month. Probably 15 different colors. Standing a few feet from the wall we dipped brushes in each color and then flicks to shook them at the walls one color after another. It actually turned out pretty neat, but was hard to paint over. The landlord's son tried to charge us the cost of replacing the drywall after he took over the house.

Another room was painted all walls and ceiling to depict a giant Winnie the pooh scene. It was amazing. A co-worker of my wife ended up owing us a huge favor and she spent about three months of weekends (and lots of week nights) painting this room for our pending children. Landlord's son hated that room too and tried to charge us for it even though the tore out the walls and connected that room to an adjoining bedroom to make a second master.

The living room has a giant blob of plaster stuck on one wall. It was a terrible repair effort and it was done with actual plaster of paris, so it could not be sanded. It was lumpy and misshapen. I painted it to look like lichen or fungus growing out of the wall. Landlord's son wanted to charge us for that too.

Luckily we had lots of before pictures. The house was a wreck when we moved in.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
I had some friends that lived in a house where every room had a different color theme and they were all bright and bold colors. The living room had bright blue walls with a life size decal of a great white shark popping out of the water on one wall.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:35 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
The most exciting color I’ve had was a pale lilac in my bedroom in my parents’ house.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 PM

534 posts, read 488,768 times
Gold sponge paint! The door to the master bathroom is white but very badly sponge painted with gold paint. Enter into the bathroom, and the vanity is also white with gold sponge paint, and across from the vanity is (was!) a built-in massage (?) table underneath heat lamps, and that is also white covered in gold sponge paint. The sponge paint is so bad, I'm not even sure it's sponged...maybe the creator just flung gold paint onto everything. And...while this isn't a paint job, the mattress of the massage table was a vaguely repulsive peachy color, like that weird color Crayola crayons used to have called "Flesh". And wait, there's more! The simple white light covers on the ceiling had chunks of stained class glued to them (this was also in the kitchen).

The good thing is that I adore the tacky double swag lights that look like ice cube cylinders, the serene bambooish gray wallpaper, and the awesome asian-inspired brass knobs and towel racks and rings. I finally removed the massage table a few weeks ago, but I'm not bothering to do any removal of the sponge paint because this room needs a full-on remodel. Where I'll be reusing the original hardware!

Old 03-26-2018, 04:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
We bought our home despite the one home that had been turned into an Oakland A's alter of worship. Green, Yellow, White...maybe if it had been done nicely, and didn't have some player painted...but it was an amateur at best. That was gone before we even moved in.

My sister let her kid choose the color for his bedroom. He couldn't be talked out of fire engine red. Kept delaying his room but he's consistent. Finally she relented. He loves it still.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Looked at a house where the owner....every room was a different color, but the room I remember the most was the living room. Polka dots. All different colors.

In my home the worst crime was my ex wife wanted a off white color...so she painted a blueish white fort he downstairs living room. Not too bad. So the color was ok...but....she used masking tape over the joins between drywall sheets. And managed to make it look so much worse then it did before. I'm going to have to pull those down, and fix it, then repaint.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:19 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
we bought a home that had the kitchen painted a really painful-to-look-at yellow. Not a golden sunshine yellow or even a bright and cheery sunflower yellow. But a gaudy horrendous yellow. the realtor said he couldn't begin to tell us how many people saw that kitchen and left without even seeing the rest of the house. so we got a good deal and painted the kitchen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__q4k2NYv5v.../health+BF.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate