Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Real Estate Teams, which are becoming more prevalent. The main agent(s) are the "rainmakers" who are well known and may have more business than they can handle, so they form a "team". The "team" usually consists of newer agents starting out in the biz (that has been my experience). Lets say there is a 6% listing where the listing agent and office split the commission 1.5%, 1.5% and the selling agent does the same. Does a member who is part of the "team" have to split their commission with the "rainmaker/team leader"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 02:04 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I have a question about Real Estate Teams, which are becoming more prevalent. The main agent(s) are the "rainmakers" who are well known and may have more business than they can handle, so they form a "team". The "team" usually consists of newer agents starting out in the biz (that has been my experience). Lets say there is a 6% listing where the listing agent and office split the commission 1.5%, 1.5% and the selling agent does the same. Does a member who is part of the "team" have to split their commission with the "rainmaker/team leader"?
There are plenty of ways to split the money.
Teams may have different models.
Firms may have different fees and models.

But, the rainmaker and the team members all need to be paid, and it generally comes out of commission revenue.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:07 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Yes there is usually some kind of split… With the brokerage and with the team. The percentages will vary!

Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
some team members are usually newer agents; my experience is most GOOD teams also have very experienced and successful members.

the split between an agent and a brokerage differ, as do the splits among the members of the team.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:06 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Yes, the rainmaker takes a part of all of the compensation that comes through the team. Out here the team members gets anywhere from 15% to 50% of whatever they bring in to the team depending upon how the team works. The 15% is more for the assembly line teams.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I think the "team" is just a marketing BS approach like saying you get more then one person working for you. That said if paying the typical 6% and they get the job done, I do not care how they split it up. That is their business.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:05 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I think the "team" is just a marketing BS approach like saying you get more then one person working for you. That said if paying the typical 6% and they get the job done, I do not care how they split it up. That is their business.
Yep, as long as the team members are happy with their arrangement who cares. They could be getting paid by the hour, a flat fee or part of the commission.

Should not affect the client at all.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Meet the agent you will be handed off to, and vet them like any other agent.

Do it before you sign any agency agreement.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Seems the benefit is one is learning from experienced agents while being able to share in some of the revenue/commissions .

Downside would be less commission then if you were working yourself and you are building someone else’s brand rather than your own .

I suppose it could be viewed as an apprenticeship of sorts ?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Seems the benefit is one is learning from experienced agents while being able to share in some of the revenue/commissions .

Downside would be less commission then if you were working yourself and you are building someone else’s brand rather than your own .

I suppose it could be viewed as an apprenticeship of sorts ?
Yes and no. There are experienced agents that join teams as well. Not everyone is good at generating their own business so for some agents paying a higher split to a team leader who can generate more than enough business makes sense. They work more but don't have the stress of trying to figure out how to get generate business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate