Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 05:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times

Advertisements

I suppose a client could find a decent inspector with a Google search. They might not. Several of the best inspectors in my area don't show up on the first page of results for "home inspector (my city name)".

I don't personally know an inspector I could bribe to overlook a deal-killing issue if I was so inclined or how I would approach an inspector to arrange such. Seems far-fetched to think that there is a widespread conspiracy of agents and inspectors with illegal agreements to defraud consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 06:25 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I suppose a client could find a decent inspector with a Google search. They might not. Several of the best inspectors in my area don't show up on the first page of results for "home inspector (my city name)".

I don't personally know an inspector I could bribe to overlook a deal-killing issue if I was so inclined or how I would approach an inspector to arrange such. Seems far-fetched to think that there is a widespread conspiracy of agents and inspectors with illegal agreements to defraud consumers.
But...
You deal in fact, not vapor, not conscious idiocy to play with people on the internet.

It makes a huge difference in the conversation.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:50 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:

How dare you use logic and reason.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is amazing to me that in our local market we have agents who don't know what polybutylene is.
The particular one I’m thinking of may not have been alive when they stopped using it and was their third transaction. Maybe they knew in theory but had never really seen it and I misunderstood.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:32 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The particular one I’m thinking of may not have been alive when they stopped using it and was their third transaction. Maybe they knew in theory but had never really seen it and I misunderstood.
One of the hazards of hiring a "30 Under 30" noobie?

Really, though, in our market, a good BIC offering thorough training would not turn an agent loose on consumers without teaching them to identify hardboard/Masonite or PB Piping.
With knowledge of either.
Between DD Fees and inspection fees, it can be very costly for buyers when a base level of protection is missed due to ignorance about the structure on the agent's part.

I had a BIC/agent ask me "What's a 2x4?" a couple of years ago. Really.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-01-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 10:05 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Why tired? Real Estate today is about the easiest buck you can earn. So...why, "tired." Anemic?

And, of course you disagree.

Best job possible for your clients?

Do you think I was born yesterday?

You put food on your table via commissions. Nothing else. It's the commissions.

CLOSING = COMMISSION

Fact of life.

I'm merely informing a naïve public just what is involved in purchasing real estate. Big purchase. Your priorities are first and foremost.

You make an honest living when you direct me to the real estate that I specifically am interested in, cut the fluff, quit wasting my time, and as a buyer agent, EARN your part of the commission by working in your "realtor ways" with the seller agent.

But...stay out of my inspection! That's a "me" thing. PERIOD!
LOL, very well said!

Also, please folks don't use anyone on the realtor commission food chain for the inspection, or anything else, as the goal is to collect as much as they can from you for doing as little as possible. They are in the business of keeping the food chain fed, not protecting your interests, which is why you always need a lawyer to oversee the sales process.

Always hire your own inspectors not associated with any realtors; roofer to inspect the roof, plumber for the plumbing, electrician for the electrical. Yes, it will be tough to schedule everyone but it is so much more cost effective when the ink is dry.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:18 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Allow me to be the voice of reason and moderation here.
We would all love to see that!

Quote:
Without even arguing whether Twinbrook's view is right or wrong, it's worth acknowledging that their view IS very commonly held, however one may personally feel about the issue. And even within the small sample of agents here, we've seen a spectrum of views and practices from recommending a single inspector (really?), to a panel of 3-5 (to minimize liability and make the client choose) to not giving any inspector recommendations at all. It's hardly a topic where the industry agrees. Include views of inspectors, state regulators, NAR, consumer watchdogs, and other industry professionals and you have a very wide range of views.

Twinbrook's views are not just shared among those who are anti-agent or conspiracy theorists. E.g, MA clamped down on the rules for inspector recommendations and their consumer information sheet even excludes agents from their list of 'good referral sources' for inspector recommendations. That's just one example but everyone in the industry knows that this issue is a hot one due to real or perceived conflicts of interest and liability issues related to recommendations.
Differences of opinion are what make discussion interesting!

Quote:
If I were an agent, I would acknowledge this as a legitimate and common view even if I had different views myself. Mainstream industry sources discuss this issue and any consumer can easily see the view that recommendations can present conflict of interest issues. Why not just recognize this? Why are you shutting it down with such visible frustration? If you're too tired to answer a consumer's challenge on this point because you've heard it too often, I think you should step back and put it in perspective.

Diana, you know that I respect your professionalism but I am surprised that you reacted the way that you did. I can understand the frustration of the same argument again and again but this issue is not going away and I believe that consumers are going to get more and more aware of it and raise it more frequently. It's a common topic in many articles on buying homes and things to watch out for with agents. Rightly or wrongly, that's just the reality.
Because it's walking in on page 10 or 11 of a thread discussing the issue without reading or responding to any of the discussion that we've already had on this very thread? That's what's tiring. I don't mind repeating myself in life, but on the same thread??? ~sigh~ Call me human.

Quote:
I won't even respond to MJ's use of the term 'mope' to describe a consumer who might hold this view. That's unacceptable and totally unprofessional. I'm not really sure what he's even trying to say in that sentence (give mopes a list of bums so you know they are disqualified - what the heck does that mean???) but it's clearly not the way a professional should be communicating when posting in their professional capacity. It's shameful and embarrassing for the industry. I think most would agree. When consumers see an agent getting that defensive and going into attack mode over something, they need to be concerned. Lots of red flags there. Such behavior does nothing to support your position and, in fact, undermines it.
It means if you know the client won't use the guys you recommend, then recommend the guys you know to be the worst so the client at least wont use them. In the end, Mike is still trying to make sure the client is well served.

Translation services... no extra charge.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-01-2018 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 10:24 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Always hire your own inspectors not associated with any realtors; roofer to inspect the roof, plumber for the plumbing, electrician for the electrical. Yes, it will be tough to schedule everyone but it is so much more cost effective when the ink is dry.

We can often get permission for a contractor to look at a specific issue, but there is no duty for a seller to allow such access or multiple inspections by anyone other than a licensed inspector. Rules will vary quite a bit by region... people need to find out what they can and can't do in their area.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But...
You deal in fact, not vapor, not conscious idiocy to play with people on the internet.

It makes a huge difference in the conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
How dare you use logic and reason.
No matter what one's views are on this topic, I would be concerned if an agent didn't at least understand the argument that many in the industry make against referrals. Hint: it has nothing to do with accusations that agents bribe inspectors or that there are fraudulent conspiracies. It's well discussed in industry publications so any 'professional' who talks about the issue in terms of bribes and conspiracies does not look credible or at best looks very well out of touch with industry issues.

Obviously the value of referrals that a typical agent gives to inspectors could easily be in the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars per year. So talking about a need to bribe inspectors for there to be a potential issue isn't even logical, no matter how much of an imagination one wishes to use. There can be a real or perceived feeling that the inspector is beholden to the agent due to the massive importance of referrals to an inspector's business. No bribes needed! No illegal agreements or conspiracies needed.

It all comes down to a point that I think is difficult to argue with - an inspector should be beholden to exactly one person and that's the client. Not the agent. And no, being beholden to the agent is not the same as being beholden to the client as was suggest by an agent earlier in this thread.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
The whole idiotic premise of this thread is that somehow inspectors and agents are in cahoots to close one deal.

I’ll repeat. Idiotic. It’s not sustainable, and damn near every agent and inspector out there understand this.

Real Estate is a business that lives on client referrals. You don’t get referrals without delivering a high level of service. End of story.

Stop living in some paranoid world, do your due diligence and read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate