Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 09:40 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,890,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
lol at the wordsmith. we should all remember to do this, IMO:

Just_because - if you were an agent in the US, how would you handle the inspection process for your clients?
Bo NOOooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I have to wonder if the construction methods/terms are different in boots' locale, or whether she has chosen to remain detached from inspection reports. A plumbing boot is pretty basic. Understanding what inspection items mean, and an ability to intelligently discuss them with the client is very important, in my opinion.

There are more dire-sounding issues that can be fixed for under $200 than their are benign-sounding fixes that cost $2,000.
Lets have their home inspector explain the contract to them also.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,929 times
My husband has a lifetime of construction background and had to look up pipe boot to see what if was. I guess the names of this stuff does vary.

Bo, I never said I don't look at inspection reports. What I won't do is try to be a construction expert. If you are smart you won't either. I've been around guys like this my whole life. Even if you are following an inspector around and asking questions you won't learn enough to know what they do. We aren't suppose to try to be experts in things we aren't. Why let the clients think you are? Let the inspector explain the report if there are questions. He has the background. he wrote the report and if you explain it, you are a lot more likely to be wrong then he is. I've had clients call inspectors before and I've called them too. I don't feel in makes me look less intelligent.

Last edited by I love boots.; 04-01-2018 at 11:29 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 04:48 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Lets have their home inspector explain the contract to them also.
Some try.
Some tell the client specifically what I should be negotiating, and how I should be doing it, without access to the contract and terms thereof. They tend to be knuckleheads.

Commonly, in our local market, it costs the buyer at least $2000, or even much more, to get to contract and perform due diligence before deciding between terminating or proceeding.
DD Fees alone can be $2000, nonrefundable.
That is not money most people want to throw around by cavalierly going to contract on junk and terminating.
I work hard to learn, so I can say, "I don't think you will be wasting your DD Fee and inspection money on this house," recognizing the clients' wants, needs, and tolerances for risk and repairs, and likely terms of contract to be negotiated.
I cannot imagine being lackadaisical or lazy and taking my eye off the ball to cater to an inspector.

When we view the home prior to writing an offer and going to contract, I take a hard look to try to spot deal breakers first.
That look also helps me see other lesser items.
When I tell the home inspector about those minor items, whether he sees them or not during the course of his inspection, he better dang well include them in his report. He is a service provider. I am the fiduciary. Respect the food chain, just as I respect the closing attorney's place on the food chain over mine.
And, if Inspector Ego gets in the way, he is just in the wrong business.

Without question, an inspector needs to conform to those common sense requirements, and recognize that he owes it to the client to give us the best assessment and best written report he can to help them make a good choice, with the leverage assistance a well-written report can offer to help with our negotiations with the sellers and listing agents.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-02-2018 at 06:01 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 05:57 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
The whole idiotic premise of this thread is that somehow inspectors and agents are in cahoots to close one deal.

I’ll repeat. Idiotic. It’s not sustainable, and damn near every agent and inspector out there understand this.

Real Estate is a business that lives on client referrals. You don’t get referrals without delivering a high level of service. End of story.

Stop living in some paranoid world, do your due diligence and read.
I think JB and some of the others look cute in their tinfoil hats.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
No, the issue is not about bribing, conspiracies, illegal agreements, or anything like that. Nobody is saying or suggesting that.

To paraphrase your own point: inspection is a business that lives on agent referrals. You don't get referrals by biting the hand that feeds you. End of story.

That is not to say inspectors are crooked. It's the reality of their business and just like agents, they must operate in a world that has a lot of gray areas and must balance avoiding getting sued, keeping the agent referrals coming in, pleasing the client, and being legal and ethical.

That's the 'premise' whether you agree with it or not. it's not about fraud or conspiracies. But we all understand why you're exaggerating.
So by your own premise, agents want referrals from former clients so they can get more business. Why would the agent bite the hand that feeds them? Explain.

It's been said many times but if the client isn't happy with the agent and their referrals they won't refer more business.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Thank you for answering. I have no idea what a pipe boot is. Are we expected to know this stuff?
How many homes have you sold? Sincere question, I'm not trying to be insulting but realize it may come across that way. I'm curious how much experience you have. And yes, I would expect my agent to be familiar with components of a house and common inspection items. Here it's sunny, hot, and humid. We have to replace every 5-7 years or so.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Thinking back on my home inspections (personal and family), one inspector that stands out (Realtor referred, but did not feel pressured to use). The agent and I met him at the home. He took control right off and explained his qualifications and limitations. He then told us he would start in one corner and work his way thru the home. At the end he would point out what he felt were problems that required repair, or, difficult to explain to the layman on paper. While he was doing his inspection, he wanted the agent and I to look through the home, to see what concerns we could uncover (sorry, no surfing or down time here). By evening, I had a 32 page report, including photos, recommended repairs, the cost of those repair, remaining functional life, recommended maintenance, the frequency of the maintenance and the cost.

At the conclusion, he recommended a licensed electrician (which gave me the back-up details needed for $3500 credit for a new breaker box). It's been 5 years since my purchase, the Realtor recommended the inspector. The inspector stands out, while the Realtor was meh at best. (I was handed off to a team member for the primary agent I was working with).

I never felt the inspector was in cahoots with anyone. Those that believe it's all about the Realtor protecting their commission, won't consider any other points of view, so why even argue? Are there snakes in the grass? Certainly. But when you expect snakes, you get snakes. When you expect professional service, you tend to get just that. Funny how that happens.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some try.
Some tell the client specifically what I should be negotiating, and how I should be doing it, without access to the contract and terms thereof. They tend to be knuckleheads.

Commonly, in our local market, it costs the buyer at least $2000, or even much more, to get to contract and perform due diligence before deciding between terminating or proceeding.
DD Fees alone can be $2000, nonrefundable.
That is not money most people want to throw around by cavalierly going to contract on junk and terminating.
I work hard to learn, so I can say, "I don't think you will be wasting your DD Fee and inspection money on this house," recognizing the clients' wants, needs, and tolerances for risk and repairs, and likely terms of contract to be negotiated.
I cannot imagine being lackadaisical or lazy and taking my eye off the ball to cater to an inspector.

When we view the home prior to writing an offer and going to contract, I take a hard look to try to spot deal breakers first.
That look also helps me see other lesser items.
When I tell the home inspector about those minor items, whether he sees them or not during the course of his inspection, he better dang well include them in his report. He is a service provider. I am the fiduciary. Respect the food chain, just as I respect the closing attorney's place on the food chain over mine.
And, if Inspector Ego gets in the way, he is just in the wrong business.

Without question, an inspector needs to conform to those common sense requirements, and recognize that he owes it to the client to give us the best assessment and best written report he can to help them make a good choice, with the leverage assistance a well-written report can offer to help with our negotiations with the sellers and listing agents.
Of course the agent should be interested in the inspection process. But this is far too heavy handed and creates the wrong atmosphere for the inspection. If my agent created a command and control environment and stomped around making the inspector subservient, I would fire him immediately. I do not want my inspector looking at the agent every time he wants to speak to make sure the agent is OK with what he says, what he doesn't say, and how he says it. I'm paying good money for an inspector and I hire the inspector based on his experience and expertise. I don't want an agent who is unqualified in these matters trying to dominate the process.

Just let them do their jobs. It says a lot to a consumer when an agent can't just be comfortable and give the inspector some room. If there's too much interference it looks suspicious and you wonder what he's trying to hide.

In summary, wrong attitude, wrong approach.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:40 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Thinking back on my home inspections (personal and family), one inspector that stands out (Realtor referred, but did not feel pressured to use). The agent and I met him at the home. He took control right off and explained his qualifications and limitations. He then told us he would start in one corner and work his way thru the home. At the end he would point out what he felt were problems that required repair, or, difficult to explain to the layman on paper. While he was doing his inspection, he wanted the agent and I to look through the home, to see what concerns we could uncover (sorry, no surfing or down time here). By evening, I had a 32 page report, including photos, recommended repairs, the cost of those repair, remaining functional life, recommended maintenance, the frequency of the maintenance and the cost.

At the conclusion, he recommended a licensed electrician (which gave me the back-up details needed for $3500 credit for a new breaker box). It's been 5 years since my purchase, the Realtor recommended the inspector. The inspector stands out, while the Realtor was meh at best. (I was handed off to a team member for the primary agent I was working with).

I never felt the inspector was in cahoots with anyone. Those that believe it's all about the Realtor protecting their commission, won't consider any other points of view, so why even argue? Are there snakes in the grass? Certainly. But when you expect snakes, you get snakes. When you expect professional service, you tend to get just that. Funny how that happens .
You are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate