Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Having done this in the past (as the labor, in college). Your tenant will always feel like you’re screwing them. You’ll also be getting their work after a work day.

These sort of barter deals never work out like we think they will........one person always ends up on the short end of the stick.

Looks good on paper, not so much in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:10 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
without getting into it, it's usually a bad idea.
But hey, no one listens to me here anyways
A friend of mine did exactly this. She is regretting it emotionally as well as financially and will be for a while.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I would never do something like this, I'd rather charge them rent and give it back after the work is done.

There was a story about an older lady who agreed to work as a nanny and housekeeper in return for free rent. Then she just stopped working and the family had a very hard time getting her to leave and I think they had to evict her and could not even ask for rent while she was there nor afterwards.

So always do a full background check to make sure they have never been evicted. Because that's the kind you may attract, freeloaders who know the system and a second eviction won't mean much if the next sucker doesn't check.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:18 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

There was a story about an older lady who agreed to work as a nanny and housekeeper in return for free rent. Then she just stopped working and the family had a very hard time getting her to leave and I think they had to evict her and could not even ask for rent while she was there nor afterwards.

So always do a full background check to make sure they have never been evicted. Because that's the kind you may attract, freeloaders who know the system and a second eviction won't mean much if the next sucker doesn't check.
There are always the cautionary tales. But they can scare people away from great adventures and
situations. AirBNB for example. All the "what could happen" stories. But I know lots of people that love the
lifestyle and enjoy all the interesting people they meet.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
There are always the cautionary tales. But they can scare people away from great adventures and
situations. AirBNB for example. All the "what could happen" stories. But I know lots of people that love the
The only way I could see it work is if you were doing basically the GC role and subbing in the tenant for pay every now and then.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:25 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
The only way I could see it work is if you were doing basically the GC role and subbing in the tenant for pay every now and then.
Interesting..

Old 03-31-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Yes my friend met the most interesting person and all the remnants he and his buddies left. Not to mention the adventure of paying to clean up the huge mess, needles, sewage and garbage in the basement, and damage done to the property. She had to get a loan to pay for it.
Yup, quite the great adventure.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Put an ad up looking for this kind of tenant and you will get LOTS of answers. Most of them will be people who just don't want to pay full rent and will tell you anything to get the position. Then, once they are ensconced, see how hard it is to get them out.

We used to have a rental house (next door to ours) and as it was an old house, we looked for handy tenants. One fellow impressed us with his knowledge of carpentry but when he complained about the faucet dripping and we told him, Just change the washer, his reply was How do you do that?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:59 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
What is the GC role? I don't know what that means.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
What is the GC role? I don't know what that means.
General contractor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate