Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I am retired, single, bored and need a project & challenge. I have an idea I wanted input on.

I am considering buying a house at the beach and finding someone as a roommate that is handy to help me update it and do projects to improve it in exchange for free rent.

I guess I am asking if there are people out there to be found that would be willing to trade
work for rent. I am smart enough to check people out to be sure I am not getting myself into danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:25 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I imagine there might be.... unfortunately... most of the good ones are employed, and they won't have time for your projects.

Those who are unemployed, might be otherwise broke, which isn't any fun in that he won't have money for his own food, utilities, etc either.

I'm not sure, unless it's a farm or large property with LOTS of projects, how long you might intend to keep him on? Even a complete remodel of a house should have a date when it's finished....

Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I imagine there might be.... unfortunately... most of the good ones are employed, and they won't have time for your projects.

Those who are unemployed, might be otherwise broke, which isn't any fun in that he won't have money for his own food, utilities, etc either.

I'm not sure, unless it's a farm or large property with LOTS of projects, how long you might intend to keep him on? Even a complete remodel of a house should have a date when it's finished....
Very good points..

Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am retired, single, bored and need a project & challenge. I have an idea I wanted input on.

I am considering buying a house at the beach and finding someone as a roommate that is handy to help me update it and do projects to improve it in exchange for free rent.

I guess I am asking if there are people out there to be found that would be willing to trade
work for rent. I am smart enough to check people out to be sure I am not getting myself into danger.
Having done this in the past (as the labor, in college). Your tenant will always feel like you’re screwing them. You’ll also be getting their work after a work day.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Having done this in the past (as the labor, in college). Your tenant will always feel like you’re screwing them. You’ll also be getting their work after a work day.
I can imagine it would be hard to agree on what is a fast enough pace of working on a project.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
The dollar value will also come in spurts and jumps. If the market rent for the room is $500.... and they build a $2000 deck... Does that buy them 4 months before they need to work again? Or should they only do 1/4 of it every month?

It's a little hard to account for.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The dollar value will also come in spurts and jumps. If the market rent for the room is $500.... and they build a $2000 deck... Does that buy them 4 months before they need to work again? Or should they only do 1/4 of it every month?

I think so too. One of my bright ideas that lasted an hour LOL

Old 03-30-2018, 07:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:

That $2000 deck is material cost, if she provided tools and materials and he "made" $500 in free rent, how is that a bad deal?

No deck company operates on a margin that high, much less the laborer

If it came down to a few hours a week for rent or a free hours a week for a job that paid rent for same room. I would pick work for rent than work for job. Why? Free rent is tax free... then I could work fewer hours at a job and keep more of the money made.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:27 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
That $2000 deck is material cost, if she provided tools and materials and he "made" $500 in free rent, how is that a bad deal?

No deck company operates on a margin that high, much less the laborer

If it came down to a few hours a week for rent or a free hours a week for a job that paid rent for same room. I would pick work for rent than work for job. Why? Free rent is tax free... then I could work fewer hours at a job and keep more of the money made.
And what if it’s a 800 s/ft deck with a Juliet stairway off each French door to a landing?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
And what if it’s a 800 s/ft deck with a Juliet stairway off each French door to a landing?
Hm, considering I have no idea what that is... I will build it to the specs I can find at lowes...

She isn't wanting a professional job for the rent, or she would hire a professional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate