Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:55 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Why would you let your grass get 2 feet high? Did you not have a regular yard service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 03:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
What jumps out at me is the grass. Did you think your agent was going to mow your lawn every week? Why didn’t you hire a landscaper before your neighbor complained?

Old 04-01-2018, 03:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What jumps out at me is the grass. Did you think your agent was going to mow your lawn every week? Why didn’t you hire a landscaper before your neighbor complained?
Add also... Did you make arrangements to have the house cleaned occasionally, the trashed picked up from the front yard / front door, the mail removed. Was the Agent going to go by weekly and watch this for you or was he some discount agent who offered limited services and never went to the house?

Surely he did an concessional open house in such a hot market. You called him and discussed the price since it was a hot market? Why was it not selling?

Something does not add up here.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:40 PM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why would you let your grass get 2 feet high? Did you not have a regular yard service?
Yes I had a regular yard service which didn't show up. We moved in the winter so I contracted them before we left. If the agent had informed me, instead of my angry neighbor, I would have taken care of it immediately. Since I was 1500 miles away I couldn't go over and check in person. I depended on the agent to let me know if the house needed anything.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:55 PM

271 posts, read 257,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Before I listed my house my agent called me every few weeks. They told me how great the market was and how they had never seen anything like it in their many years as an agent. They kept calling and telling me how much better it was getting and houses were selling like hotcakes. They would call me back within 10 minutes. They gave me this sales pitch about how they were different from other agents. After they got the listing it was another story.
We moved out, cleaned the house and left it up to them. They had a few open houses and then nothing. I received minimal feedback. The grass was 2 feet high and the neighbor called and was furious with us. I explained nobody had told me anything. I had to hire a landscaper to cut the grass and pretty up the landscaping. This was several months into the listing. It was MY idea to get the place painted. Fortunately I remembered the painter who did work for me when I moved in and did a fabulous job for $1300. We were paying for 2 mortgages and the whole thing was getting ridiculous. It took 9 months to sell it in the "best Real Estate market in decades"
This was not unusual behavior for agents in my experience. I have sold 4 or 5 houses and they say and do whatever to get the listing. Then they forget about it until a few weeks before it ends. It like dating, you are attentive and charming and when you win them over you can revert to your normal self.
I am not saying all agents are like this, I am sure there are many wonderful ones out there. Not so much in my experience. Maybe it was just the area we lived in.
Personally, your agent wasn't "hungry" enough for the sale. Your neighborhood also plays a big part on how quickly your house will sell. I sold my house in NYC in 2015 and I was living out of state then. Fortunately, I had family in NY and the family that was moving out of my house there to ensure the real estate agent showed up. However, in the first week he showed my house to several families and after 10 days I had 5 offers. I went with the highest. Did they mention lowering the price on the house to sell it quicker? People don't always want to lower their price of the house but in the long run paying two mortgages for 9 months may have cost the same. My house sold in less than 90 days, I think it was about 75 or 80 if I'm not mistaken. They should've had several open houses to push that sell. I would give them a real poor online rating and hopefully you won't be dealing with them again.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Shleprock

Old 04-01-2018, 06:42 PM

558 posts, read 434,439 times
When I sold, the listing agent was actually the listing agent of the house I was buying on contingency.

She lived in an entirely different area. I was working so I have no idea if she was there. But every realtor who came through with a buyer left a card on my kitchen island. That is how I knew it was being shown a lot.

Do agents not leave cards in other areas of the country? I live in Alabama.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:00 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
We do that here

Old 04-01-2018, 07:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,768 times
To answer the question, OP.

Nope. I have not ever had an agent forget about my listing.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:19 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
We do that here
Agents do that here in New Orleans, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate