Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,860,980 times

Advertisements

We're getting ready to sell a deceased family member's home. The insurance company is taking their sweet time replacing the carpet that they had removed after the death.

One family member thinks we should just list it now, with the bare ugly floors. I say no, wait until the new carpet is installed - what realtor wants to walk in and immediately answer why the carpet is gone. It's sad enough as it is. And I know we'll have to disclose the death. Just don't want potential buyers having to think about it that vividly.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,698,136 times
Many types of loans will not allow someone to get a mortgage on a house with no flooring. So yes, it needs to be replaced before you list it. Put pressure on the insurance company. Call your state insurance regulator if necessary.

Last thing in the world they want is to answer to the state .... and you.

PS. The insurance company doesn't replace the floors.... you do. Their job is to cut you a check. No reason you cant replace the carpet tomorrow, and then wait for the check.

Last edited by 399083453; 04-04-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 06:01 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,783,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We're getting ready to sell a deceased family member's home. The insurance company is taking their sweet time replacing the carpet that they had removed after the death.

One family member thinks we should just list it now, with the bare ugly floors. I say no, wait until the new carpet is installed - what realtor wants to walk in and immediately answer why the carpet is gone. It's sad enough as it is. And I know we'll have to disclose the death. Just don't want potential buyers having to think about it that vividly.

Your thoughts?
Sorry for your loss!

Yes, put in the carpet!! And as the other poster mentioned, insurance will only cut you a check so go ahead and order the carpet and then call the adjuster and tell him to reimburse you! My FIL passed away in his condo and it was about a week before he was found. We had to have a restoration team come in and take everything out, so I can sympathize with what you're going through! Unless that state has a specific law, I'm pretty sure you DO NOT need to disclose that there was a death there! We didn't but again, check with the state law as all states are different. I wouldn't disclose it unless I legally had to!

Last edited by CGab; 04-04-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 06:41 PM

Thank you both! Will see if we can get this going.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:22 PM

22 posts, read 26,044 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?

So sorry for your loss.....Hope the following info helps you.

If you can afford to do so, I would replace the carpet prior to listing the home. If cash is a problem (until the insurance reimburses you) you should check out: https://www.mysynchrony.com/ Synchrony finances things like Flooring to Air Conditioners to Dental work. I believe they will offer 0% financing, same as cash.

Here are the FL Statutes regarding whether you need to reveal a death:

The 2017 Florida Statutes

Title XL
REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
Chapter 689
CONVEYANCES OF LAND AND DECLARATIONS OF TRUST
View Entire Chapter
689.25 Failure to disclose homicide, suicide, deaths, or diagnosis of HIV or AIDS infection in an occupant of real property.—
(1)(a) The fact that an occupant of real property is infected or has been infected with human immunodeficiency virus or diagnosed with acquired immune deficiency syndrome is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.
(b) The fact that a property was, or was at any time suspected to have been, the site of a homicide, suicide, or death is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.
(2) A cause of action shall not arise against an owner of real property, his or her agent, an agent of a transferee of real property, or a person licensed under chapter 475 for the failure to disclose to the transferee that the property was or was suspected to have been the site of a homicide, suicide, or death or that an occupant of that property was infected with human immunodeficiency virus or diagnosed with acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
History.—s. 46, ch. 88-380; s. 51, ch. 2003-164.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:38 PM

34 posts, read 39,394 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?

My condolences on the lost of your family member. But like some of the other members stated replace the carpet and wait for the insurance check. The home should be able to list the realtor will put notes that the carpet will be replaced. Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,744,814 times
It depends on what shape the property is in and what type of sale you want to have. If you are going for investors who are likely going to be cash buyers who will flip it, then it probably isn’t going to matter if the home has no flooring. If you are looking to get a wider audience of potential buyers, then it’s worth it to wait until you get new carpet in, even if they will immediately rip it out.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:11 PM

It's a small, 3/2 older home in good shape, except for the missing carpet. It should go fast, others in the neighborhood have sold quickly.

Do insurance companies authorize a dollar amount first? I think that's the hold up.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,636,000 times
Get two or three quotes, in writing, for a low priced carpet with pad in a neutral color. Also get quotes for a carpet of comparable quality of the one that was damaged. Inform the insurance adjuster that you will select the cheapest. You may get a kick-back from the standpoint that the old carpet was warn and they want to negotiate the price. If the old carpet was of higher quality counter you start your negotiations from the standpoint of replacing the higher grade carpet. Pick your poison.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:05 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,431,133 times
Thing is, many people cannot visualize what isn't there. If they see bare subfloor, they cannot imagine what the house would look like with new carpet or other flooring and it will turn them off.

There's no need to eliminate a fraction of your potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate