Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm certainly glad that on this topic, I'm in your good graces. Since I knew that disclosures vary by state, and mentioned how that could make a difference.

assuming there isn't language in the OP's disclosure that excludes "unless previously repaired" then you're right - some plumbing issues introduce the possibility of future issues even after they're repaired.

And this is all a reminder to topic-starters and agents alike that we all need to know where you are, and any other relevant contract/disclosure info that you have before we can possibly accurately answer the issue.

I would only add that in MY STATE, REPAIRED past damage is not required to be disclosed.
Yes, I was very proud of you for asking about the state but not so proud that you were surprised if a state requires disclosure for repaired items. Many states do require disclosure of at least some types past repairs. Including the OP's state and, in my personal view, for this type of problem.

The licensed agent from TX who mocked the consumer for thinking it should be disclosed was just plain wrong and irresponsible when the state wasn't even known then. I hope they can retract and correct themselves but that usually doesn't happen. Just move on to give more reckless advice to other consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
If it were me selling, I would disclose it based on that text.

Feel free. When in doubt... disclose. Information is almost always good.

It might have reduced the amount of time this OP spent wondering about whether or not it was a big deal.

My intent, with my post, is not to prevent disclosure, it's too late for that.... it's to have the OP consider the perspective that failure to let her know about the shower repair until now might not have been malicious as there may not be reason to assume they were trying to hide it. Good people might disagree on whether such a disclosure was relevant or important. And now that she does know... there probably is no harm done with the late disclosure.

My two cents.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I would think frozen pipes would be like clogged pipes. There was no damage. No need to disclose.
I would be thankful the guy did the work to put the pipes in the interior wall.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
The licensed agent from TX who mocked the consumer for thinking it should be disclosed was just plain wrong and irresponsible when the state wasn't even known then.
Are you speaking about me? I did not mock, nor did I say it should be disclosed. I said the complete opposite. There is no current issue or damage to disclose since it's been remedied, so I said it wasn't necessary to disclose. Just as a previous roof leak wouldn't need to be disclosed if a new (repaired) roof and decking was put on and all damage remedied. It's not currently leaking and there's nothing to say the new/repaired roof would leak like the old roof... however, if there was an insurance claim on it, then they would need to disclose they made a claim.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Why in the world would you expect someone to disclose something that they fixed in the past unless it's a current issue?

Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
A frozen pipe is not damage. A pipe that is frozen, ruptured and leaks is damage. But not all frozen pipes rupture. Freezing might just only stop the flow, the owner notices, he remedies it before it causes damage. A good catch.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:36 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
30 K to paint a house interior LOL, suckers born every day.
Touching up where a photo was hung is small stuff and you are talking about suing.
They would be better off if you walked away and they got reasonable buyers in.

The disclosure form you posted says DAMAGE from water or moisture.
Maybe they moved the pipes to prevent damage.

I sold a house we remodeled extensively and I was told by my realtor we did not have to
mention every single renovation done.

I agree that $30k is RIDICULOUS!! My neighbor just had her entire house interior repainted. It's 3100 sq ft. and she paid $4500. If the home the OP is buying is 7000 sqft then I suppose $10K is comparable, but even at that, I'm sure you can find someone to do it for less!

Renovations vary by state. To me it sound like what they did was a good move so the pipes don't freeze. As far as the walls, yes I would have your realtor mention that they WERE NOT supposed to remove any nails and hooks and do to that you would like to be compensated; however, their realtor already said they won't give you any more money so I think you need to either accept it or find another house.

Really comes down to how bad do you want the house?

Old 04-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
My two cents for the OP, I don't think either of the issues you speak of are outside the realm of normal life and normal wear and tear you might expect in a 10 year old house. One might expect any home will need to be repainted at 10 years old. It's too bad, but if you wanted the hooks left anyway, perhaps you wanted to hang your own art in the same spots, and it will be OK until you choose to repaint?
Thanks for your perspective. That's fair.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
No, fortunately it is smooth finish. It can be fixed. No need to repaint whole house. Knockdown is harder to match and takes experience.
That's good to know.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I agree that $30k is RIDICULOUS!!
I agree. At the same time, in this community (Park City), it is like pulling teeth just to get a tradesman to return a call, let alone come out to give a bid.

We started out thinking we would remodel our existing house rather than purchase a larger house (the subject of this thread).

Even with a $500K remodel budget, both architects and contractors all told us either "you're too small a project for us" or "we're booked out as far as we can see. Call us in the summer of 2019."

An acquaintance who hasn't broken ground yet on a custom home tells me he's being quoted tile installation labor -- just the labor -- is now over $25/square foot here. He's not a novice; he does commercial construction in Southern California and is trying to build a house here in Park City for his retirement. He tells me even the HOA charged him $10K just to run his house plans through their Architectural Review Committee.

My point is this is an expensive for home improvement and for new home construction. Things just cost more here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate