Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like when Agents and clients tour in the same car?
I never ride in my agent's car. 42 37.17%
I like to ride together with my agent. 45 39.82%
I am an agent, and don't take clients in my car. 11 9.73%
I am an agent and like it when we ride together. 15 13.27%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM

91 posts, read 71,663 times

Advertisements

I think it's a regional thing. In our previous location the agents took you. In our current one it was never offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
I didn't vote because my answer is "it depends". In Raleigh, my real estate agent was also a friend. We'd go look at houses and then grab some lunch and then look at more houses.

When we moved to the mountains, the agent we had up here didn't have any desire to do any more than she absolutely had to. We lived 4 hours away, yet she insisted that "up here" it was customary for the clients to drive around and look at all the houses they are interested in from the outside on their own before she would take the time to actually set an appointment and meet us at the house so we could view it. We lost out on a couple of houses that we were really interested in because by the time we got up here, drove around and then she "managed" to squeeze us in (even though we set an appointment with her a couple of weeks in advance) to actually see the houses, they had gone under contract. There were several times that she bumped us to the side for clients who were looking at more expensive homes, even though we bought a house, my dad bought a piece of land and my dad bought a house.

I have seriously thought about getting my license and offering a service where I do all the things that agent didn't. You know, previewing properties for clients who live far away, taking pictures and/or videos for those clients and actually learning what the clients are looking for. I can't tell you how many times that agent was surprised that I did like this house or didn't like that house. I was very, very clear about what I wanted, she just didn't pay attention. The first house we looked at was the one we ended up buying. It isn't perfect, but it ticked off all the must haves on my list, and the view is incredible.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
When we shopped for our first house, we did not own a car (we lived in Queens) and so we always rode with an agent when we were househunting in NJ or upstate NY. When we looked at houses in Queens or Brooklyn we just took the train.

When we moved to the south, we owned a car at that point, so we drove ourselves.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This brings to mind a lesson I learned at an early age growing up in small town East Texas.

There was a lovely old man, grandfatherly sort - I never saw him in anything but overalls, and the vehicle I saw him drive you likely would have turned your nose up at. He was a friend of my Daddy's, and what impressed me most was the bass lake that he had on his farm. Daddy and I would go out there occasionally and we'd all get in his jonboat and go fishing. It was great.

It was only later that I found out that Clint Murchison, Sr., was a man who was so rich that small countries shook when he looked in their direction. Think Trans Canada Pipeline, Southern Union Gas, Delhi Gas, etc.

It was only later that I also realized the lesson I'd learned and that while he could dress up with the best of them, he knew how to test people by dressing down. Daddy and I passed because we saw the man behind the clothes and the car - we saw the substance instead of the window dressing.

Another similar example, same small town that nobody would look at twice driving through (but that had LOTS of oil money). One of my Mama's friends took me to Neiman's in Dallas (the original) a couple of times to go shopping. The service was impeccable. One time, an old woman who verged on what we would call a bag lady came in the store. Immediately, the air was electrified, and the service went up a couple of notches. It was later explained to me that THAT lady could buy the entire store and Mr. Marcus, too, if she was of a mind to.

Various experiences like that taught by people with real money, old or new, brought home to me the importance of reading the actual pages in a book rather than judging it by its cover. It's served me well over the last half century.
So true!

C.S. Mott (a co-founder of General Motors) had a driver chauffeur him around in his Chevrolet Corvair - which, if you don’t know - was one of the cheapest cars made at the time.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
My clients usually look at only one property in a given day, so we usually just meet at the property. That simply makes the most sense since we're likely coming from different directions. Once at a property, however, we may drive together. Such was the case when we inspected a property with a perimeter of over six miles*. Driving the interior roads on the land was better done together.

Of course, when I was dealing with single family houses, I usually just met clients at the house as well.

*I know, that's small by western standards.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 24,904 times
I found this thread because I am soon to be househunting in a state quite far away. I just assumed my agent would drive me around. I don't know the area. But when I asked if I should meet her at her office, she mentioned that she would let me know the first house of the day, sounding like she expects me to meet her there. Even if she then offered for me to ride with her, I wouldn't want to leave my car at some random location. I was quite taken aback.

I imagined being able to relax and check out traffic, neighborhoods, etc., as we drove, and get to know each other a little bit. Instead, I'll be nervously navigating a strange city all by myself. And yes, even though she has a good list of my likes and wants, I anticipated doing some fine tuning as we drove, or being able to ask, is this normal traffic or light? What's in that park over there? etc.

This thread at least has given me some reasons why couples or families might prefer their own vehicles, which I now understand. I also never thought about the fact that an agent's driving might scare me!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:52 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Did you ask her if she'd be willing to meet and drive you? It might be normal for locals to want to drive, but I do think it's different with people who are alone, and in an unfamiliar area... and she might agree if you ask. maybe it hasn't occurred to her. If I know someone is from out of town.... I enjoy pointing out local things as we drive around.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
I have liked being in the car with the agent. I did find out some places the people buying all sit in back. Some places one sits in the passenger seat and any others in back.

I know a very successful agent a little, well enough to be surprised she does not drive her buyers. They usually follow her. She has too much stuff on her passenger seat and even in back so there's no room.

And another woman agent tells this story to agents or buyers concerned about security in going alone in the agent's vehicle: Picked up my buyer. He asked me if I wasn't afraid that he might be a serial killer? Told him the odds of two serial killers being in the same car was unlikely.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:07 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alooknac View Post
I found this thread because I am soon to be househunting in a state quite far away. I just assumed my agent would drive me around. I don't know the area. But when I asked if I should meet her at her office, she mentioned that she would let me know the first house of the day, sounding like she expects me to meet her there. Even if she then offered for me to ride with her, I wouldn't want to leave my car at some random location. I was quite taken aback.

I imagined being able to relax and check out traffic, neighborhoods, etc., as we drove, and get to know each other a little bit. Instead, I'll be nervously navigating a strange city all by myself. And yes, even though she has a good list of my likes and wants, I anticipated doing some fine tuning as we drove, or being able to ask, is this normal traffic or light? What's in that park over there? etc.

This thread at least has given me some reasons why couples or families might prefer their own vehicles, which I now understand. I also never thought about the fact that an agent's driving might scare me!
Does the agent actually have an office? Many are dissing brick and mortar.

And, how did you select this agent?
Honestly, she sounds like a fool, with her willingness to meet you for the first time in a remote location.
Common agent safety requirements are to meet in a public location, preferably an office, with witnesses.
If she has no office, meeting at a coffee shop, etc, would be the next best option.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I didn't vote because my answer is "it depends". In Raleigh, my real estate agent was also a friend. We'd go look at houses and then grab some lunch and then look at more houses.

When we moved to the mountains, the agent we had up here didn't have any desire to do any more than she absolutely had to. We lived 4 hours away, yet she insisted that "up here" it was customary for the clients to drive around and look at all the houses they are interested in from the outside on their own before she would take the time to actually set an appointment and meet us at the house so we could view it. We lost out on a couple of houses that we were really interested in because by the time we got up here, drove around and then she "managed" to squeeze us in (even though we set an appointment with her a couple of weeks in advance) to actually see the houses, they had gone under contract. There were several times that she bumped us to the side for clients who were looking at more expensive homes, even though we bought a house, my dad bought a piece of land and my dad bought a house.

I have seriously thought about getting my license and offering a service where I do all the things that agent didn't. You know, previewing properties for clients who live far away, taking pictures and/or videos for those clients and actually learning what the clients are looking for. I can't tell you how many times that agent was surprised that I did like this house or didn't like that house. I was very, very clear about what I wanted, she just didn't pay attention. The first house we looked at was the one we ended up buying. It isn't perfect, but it ticked off all the must haves on my list, and the view is incredible.
I helped a friend buy a house in Hendersonville, NC about a half hour from Asheville and noticed the same thing.

Often the homes coming on the MLS listing would already be under contract. Or they would be under contract before she could get the real estate agent to arrange a showing.

They were renting in the area at the time, so could go tour a home at the drop of a hat.

I encouraged her agent to call around to see what homes were coming on the market. As far as I'm aware, she never did that.

We drove around ourselves. The agent would meet us there. We would leave at the same time and often beat her to the next house. I assumed she stopped along the way to make phone calls.

Eventually, friend found a home and bought it, but it was more through her own efforts than the agent's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate