Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,205,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
Zillow makes it money by selling leads to agents and mortgage bankers.

Yep, ^ and it's pretty obvious. This is Zillow's model and how they make money, not a secret. If I wanted to contact the listing agent, I go to their site to get their info. Or my agent would. Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:03 AM

638 posts, read 528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Last time I tried to contact a ***LISTING*** agent to get some preliminary information, I got hooked up with a buyer's agent. I thought I made the mistake, and tried to work with that broker. It ended up kind of a disaster. I had to pull the plug on that effort.

So when I needed to get info about another property yesterday, I made 100% sure I selected the ***LISTING*** agent by clicking the appropriate radio button. Guess what? I got sent to another buyer's agent!!!! What the...

Is this positive proof, that Zillow is selling my traffic as a lead?

(I want to contact listing agent because if I proceed with a deal, I am bringing in my own broker.)
I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that if you are a registered user of an online free service that you are not the customer, you are the product they are selling.

It is not a question of whether. It is a question of whether you are getting your end of the bargain. Right click, select "copy link location", and use the email to contact the agent directly.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,648,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
When I browse Realtor, my inbox is flooded with agents drooling for a commission even though I NEVER contact them - just use their work product. Very annoying since I don't click requesting any contact from any of them. The underhanded marketing isn't limited to Zillow!
Amen. I had a referral from a family member for a listing. The listing was up on all the major internet portals. My family member went to Realtor.com to check it, out of curiosity. She was innundated with agents calling her to "help her" with her "interest" in the listing. So, basically -- my listing, but Realtor.com is selling the "leads" of people who are "interested" in my listing to other agents. I think if you pay extra for "Showcase Listings", it doesn't do that.

That's one reason why Keller Williams is moving ahead quickly with their technology initiative, in order to efficiently manage data across multiple platforms.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 27 days ago)

43,186 posts, read 76,875,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Amen. I had a referral from a family member for a listing. The listing was up on all the major internet portals. My family member went to Realtor.com to check it, out of curiosity. She was innundated with agents calling her to "help her" with her "interest" in the listing. So, basically -- my listing, but Realtor.com is selling the "leads" of people who are "interested" in my listing to other agents. I think if you pay extra for "Showcase Listings", it doesn't do that.

That's one reason why Keller Williams is moving ahead quickly with their technology initiative, in order to efficiently manage data across multiple platforms.
How did they get your relative's contact information?

Old 04-12-2018, 12:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 40,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Zillow is horrible.Our mananger is checking on how they are get away with disclosing agency under state law.If you are already working with an agent, send the Zillow link to your agent.
Zillow isn't a brokerage so agency disclosure laws don't apply to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate