Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 05:43 PM

472 posts, read 325,008 times

Advertisements

If any of you have used Air BnB as a guest, which would you prefer... Staying in a house that's shared with the host where you have perhaps your own private bedroom + bath, but have access to everything else in the house including shared living room, kitchen, laundry, etc?

Or would you prefer having your own private bedroom + bath (with office frig, microwave, TV and coffee maker) that's blocked off off from the rest of the house, with your own private entrance from outside with a lock box, but no access to the living room, laundry, kitchen, no breakfast, etc? So it's basically lots of privacy with little or no interaction with the host, but minimal amenities. I am considering hosting such a space, but I was wondering if this type of situation would be desirable to guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 05:55 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
I've stayed in AirBnB only when I get the whole place to myself. Even if it is a tiny space so I'd take option 2 personally.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 PM

201 posts, read 388,920 times
The second, for me - I like more privacy. My sister rents out the English basement of her DC townhome. Guests enter through the backyard with their own door to the basement. They basically have a large studio room that fits a queen bed along with table/two chairs as well as a huge bathroom. No kitchen, but there is a microwave, Keurig and wine fridge for their drinks/leftovers. Good wifi is the most important, but she does have some guests use the tv/cable. She's hosted nearly 100 guests and has a five star rating on airbnb. She brings in more than the neighborhood average since the space is recently renovated and guests especially love that there's a big fancy shower. In her area there are plenty of restaurant options (both dine-in and take-out), so never any complaints about cooking facilities as people know what they're getting before they book.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
Our first choice with AirBNB is the entire place. Second choice would be a private room with it's own entrance and bath. It would have to be substantially less than nearby hotels though as we could get the same thing with more privacy at a hotel.

We have stayed at a couple B&B's in the past. It was fine, but we like privacy.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:26 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
I've stayed in many, MANY, AB&B properties. Never in a "shared space" because that's not what I want. I prefer the whole place to myself, but will settle on a separate space within one property.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 AM

472 posts, read 325,008 times
Alright well this sound promising. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
I too have stayed in many airbnbs. I never have taken a shared space. I would much prefer a private space. One time, we took a private space that had two bedrooms, a microwave, bathroom but no shower, because it was priced well and in a very tight market, rather than take a shared space.

One time I saw a space in a very competitive market advertised as "Whole house" but it came with a "caretaker" (in other words, the host was there, retreated to a single bedroom, and tried to be unobtrusive). Again, that would only work in a VERY tight market.

While traveling, lots of people prefer to eat out. So I would most definitely set up the space with a private entrance and no real kitchen, rather than shared access to your kitchen.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I've stayed in AirBnB only when I get the whole place to myself. Even if it is a tiny space so I'd take option 2 personally.
Same here. My wife and I have used Air BnB and VRBO many times. We only rented spaces that were completely private where the owners lived offsite: apartments, homes, condos, etc. . . However, we inadvertently rented a place in Seward, Alaska that we though was private. It ended up being a large room attached to the owner's home. The description of the space was very misleading, and the pics made it appear as though it was a private residence. Being a same sex couple, we were uncomfortable with that situation, checked out early, and rented a hotel room instead.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
I have used airbnb as a guest several dozen times. In most cases I get an entire unit because that is our preference, but a handful of times I have done shared accommodations with the host and under certain circumstances (cause it's great value or cause I'm traveling by myself) my preference for my own space is minimal.

Anyway, with all of that said, I feel like option 2 is the better route. You'll simply capture more of the market. However I'll also add that it's pretty rare to see an airbnb with no access to kitchen amenities. I'd say from my searches maybe less than 10% are that way? So it is a bit limiting. Most units in your scenario would offer up a private unit with separate entrance, but still allow for access to the general amenities during set hours.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 AM

813 posts, read 1,132,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Same here. My wife and I have used Air BnB and VRBO many times. We only rented spaces that were completely private where the owners lived offsite: apartments, homes, condos, etc. . . However, we inadvertently rented a place in Seward, Alaska that we though was private. It ended up being a large room attached to the owner's home. The description of the space was very misleading, and the pics made it appear as though it was a private residence. Being a same sex couple, we were uncomfortable with that situation, checked out early, and rented a hotel room instead.
Mind if I ask why you would feel uncomfortable renting from a mixed sex couple? I have a Airbnb and rent to same sex couples frequently and they have never expressed any issues or concerns to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate