Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:29 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times

Advertisements

What do you think will be the future of percentage based commissions? Will it go to a fixed rate? With the advent of the internet, do you think its just a matter of time until someone develops a platform where they recruit local agents to work for a fixed remuneration vs the current percentage based system? It might work where the homeowner does some of the work ala FSBO but an agent handles the transaction and offers some limited assistance. Perhaps what to do to make the house more salable, listing price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 03:44 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
There is a company where I am that does what you are describing. It already exists.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Crazy things are going to happen with this new internet thingy that Al Gore created. I think commissions will go up. Sell now before they hit the teens!

Old 04-17-2018, 04:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
In Missouri, Realtors are required to present all offers. Realtors do not "negotiate" prices, terms or conditions. However, having a percentage based commission does "encourage" realtors to seek out potential buyers who are likely to offer "top dollar" to sellers instead of low-balling them. If I were selling my home, I would very much prefer to have a commission based realtor list/show my property as opposed to a $2995 realtor who will gladly show my property to any Schmoe on the planet, even those who are not qualified. After all what do they care? Their commission is going to be the same regardless of who buys it.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:48 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
What do you think will be the future of percentage based commissions? Will it go to a fixed rate? With the advent of the internet, do you think its just a matter of time until someone develops a platform where they recruit local agents to work for a fixed remuneration vs the current percentage based system? It might work where the homeowner does some of the work ala FSBO but an agent handles the transaction and offers some limited assistance. Perhaps what to do to make the house more salable, listing price.
Great question and very thought-provoking ideas. Could you elaborate? How far do you think this internet thing can go? Is it possible for the RE cartel to loosen its grip on the MLS? Do you see a more artificial intelligence influence replacing humans to off-set lost commissions? Do we have the means to control the AI if it becomes self-aware?

The risks are great, but the rewards could save thousands of dollars.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Do you see a more artificial intelligence influence replacing humans to off-set lost commissions? Do we have the means to control the AI if it becomes self-aware?

The risks are great, but the rewards could save thousands of dollars.
Didn't you see that new movie they just made about this? It's called The Agentnator starring some body builder..Arnold something. It's a real whack-a-doo movie about AI...skynet or loopnet or something. Can't imagine this movie becoming mainstream but you should check it out. Could develop some kind of cult following.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
With internet, I expect the commission rate to drop to 0%. Why pay for commission when you can list on your own.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Thundarr's Real Estate Muse of the Day.... where evidently one of us may or may not be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Awesome...

Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Thundarr's Real Estate Muse of the Day.... where evidently one of us may or may not be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Awesome...
Me, definitely me! Mike J is tall but he's way too spindly to be portrayed by Ahhnuld.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Are Thundarr and JB the same person? If so, can we get rid of one or the other since that sort of thing isn't allowed on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate