Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 AM

56 posts, read 155,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaEvie View Post
I don't think it is fair to compare legitimate buyers who are going to negotiate for the best possible price with scheisters who pull last-minute shenanigans that go against the contract they agreed to.
I totally agree - and I'm not comparing legit buyers to these guys. I'm just asking "how do you tell?". I'm going to be much more cautious next time.

Honestly - my post was not directed at you. I'm just warning sellers that people like this ARE out there. And, if you meet an upstading Navy commander and his british wife, and they are in a hurry to close, and they really REALLY love your home - BEWARE!

JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 AM

395 posts, read 490,573 times
look u should ask them to put down at least 10% or more next time on the contract. if they dont even have the money to come up with the down payment...what makes u think they are serious?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
look u should ask them to put down at least 10% or more next time on the contract. if they dont even have the money to come up with the down payment...what makes u think they are serious?
Yes indeed! They were just the first folks to come along - and, since I come from a military family, I allowed this guy to fool me.

Honor among thieves.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
And what if they are buying with an FHA loan?

Or a VA loan?

Why would a seller want to lose potential buyers?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And what if they are buying with an FHA loan?

Or a VA loan?

Why would a seller want to lose potential buyers?
This guy vandalized my house during the home inspection, waited until two days before closing (knowing full well how much hassel he was putting us through) to lower the price. We had - as a result of his bad faith negotiations - entered into another contract (thank the lord we had a selling contingency), kicked out our tenant, done requested repairs, paid for an appraisal and home inspection, contacted movers (and nearly hired them), packed all our things.

How can you ask a question like that? Clearly these guys are not potential buyers. At least, not for my home. Let them buy from some guy down the street.

And, once they do, and it's published, then I'll know where to have him served.

Make sense now?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspur_321 View Post
This guy vandalized my house during the home inspection, waited until two days before closing (knowing full well how much hassel he was putting us through) to lower the price. We had - as a result of his bad faith negotiations - entered into another contract (thank the lord we had a selling contingency), kicked out our tenant, done requested repairs, paid for an appraisal and home inspection, contacted movers (and nearly hired them), packed all our things.

How can you ask a question like that? Clearly these guys are not potential buyers. At least, not for my home. Let them buy from some guy down the street.

And, once they do, and it's published, then I'll know where to have him served.

Make sense now?

I was not questioning your personal experience, believe me I have had a few like that.
What I was questioning was the poster who said that no one should take an offer unless the buyers have 10% to put down.

FHA has 97% LTV available.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I was not questioning your personal experience, believe me I have had a few like that.
What I was questioning was the poster who said that no one should take an offer unless the buyers have 10% to put down.

FHA has 97% LTV available.
Sorry - I guess I'm still pi$$ed. Good point re: the financing.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry - I guess I'm still pi$$ed. Good point re: the financing.
I understand your frustration. Sometimes you just need to wait them out and then get the lawyers involved when they are not expecting it.

Remember, he who laughs last, laughs best.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 AM

165 posts, read 812,256 times
Quote:
I totally agree - and I'm not comparing legit buyers to these guys. I'm just asking "how do you tell?". I'm going to be much more cautious next time.

Honestly - my post was not directed at you. I'm just warning sellers that people like this ARE out there. And, if you meet an upstading Navy commander and his british wife, and they are in a hurry to close, and they really REALLY love your home - BEWARE!

JR
Gotcha. I am really sorry that happened to you - it is incredibly dishonest to get someone in a bind just to try and take advantage.

On a related note - I drove past a house that was up for auction in foreclosure. This old couple drove up and went in - I was feeling really bad for them.

We went home and looked up the liens on the property. Turns out this "poor old couple" has more lawsuits than you can count. Pages and pages - tax liens, personal and business lawsuits, they are getting sued by everyone. Guess they aren't so innocent after all! You never can tell...

Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,673 times
It is a tough time, to be sure. Everyone is going to have a different experience because we are different people, living in different kinds of houses in different states.

I have looked at the same house in CT since last June. We have our house on the market in CA. I watched to see if the price came down, it did not, and we put in an offer a bit lower than our agent suggested. We were soundly refused, and it became clear that the sellers were not in the position that they had to sell. We are in the position that we want that house in particular, and so we negotiated back to within 25,000 of their price. Given the market I think they came out rather well, but that was certainly our choice to pay what we did. Would I have liked to get it at a lower price - sure, obviously - but I also feel that as this was the house for us, so be it.

On the other coast, where we are trying to sell our place, we have been on the market for about 2 months now. Lot's of showings, but no offers. One letter of intent that suggested a price 300,000 less than we are asking. We refused and will continue to hold on just like lot's of others who think their house is worth more. Are we correct? Who knows...but it is our game to play. We are fortunate that we could buy the other without selling this one, but the time will come when it is a downer to be paying 2 mortgages and at that point we will need to make a decision. Personally, I think of it all as Monoply money anyway. What we paid for the house and what we are asking are substantially different. So, if I lower the price, am I losing money??? In my opinion, no, however my husband does not yet share my position, so we will continue as we are. One hates to have ones head in the sand, but if I am aware of the market and I chose to hold steady, then that is my option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate