Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

These photographers be fooling us with first walkthroughs in houses and first dates with ladies. Full on bait and switch mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The difference is $5 vs a 30 year mortgage.
I get your point but $5 vs 20 minutes (or whatever) of your life wasting time getting to and doing a viewing is probably a more accurate comparison. Unless you think someone buys a house based on the photos.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Every time I see a commercial on TV I get fooled by those big juicy Burgers, Tacos, Seafood photos that looks nothing like what I get at the drive through.

Actually, I don't get fooled. I know it's pretty advertising to get me into their Burger House.
Exactly.
Photos have one purpose:
To get agents and buyers into a property.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Every time I see a commercial on TV I get fooled by those big juicy Burgers, Tacos, Seafood photos that looks nothing like what I get at the drive through.

Actually, I don't get fooled. I know it's pretty advertising to get me into their Burger House.
To be fair, there are plenty of places that do back up their advertisement. I never had a five guys burger I didn’t like

Old 04-22-2018, 09:29 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
I love Google street view. It's a good way to weed out a home without wasting the time to go see it.
Me too! I found a nice home photo, but when you do the street view, it was next to a junk yard! And what the heck is the point of taking photos of an item on the table or something that the owner will remove? Better off to just work directly with owners.

Shame on the salespeople for using Photoshop to misrepresent the home, but that is just the start.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Nope. No one is taking a picture of the crack house next door or the 7 cars parked on the street that all belong to one neighbor--my due diligence is the only thing I can count on.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Exactly.
Photos have one purpose:
To get agents and buyers into a property.
Completely disagree.

Buyers don't want to have their time wasted by getting enticed into houses they aren't going to buy. I'm sure agents don't want to either. Doesn't really serve the agents well either to do wasted showings. Purpose of the photos should be to help match the right buyers with the right houses. Not to entice every last person into wanting to view the house. Not good for agents or buyers. Old school attitude.

Many buyers also use photos AFTER the viewing to reinforce their impressions. Or when they are deciding to make an offer. Or when comparing more than one house after the viewings.

One purpose? You need to better understand how buyers buy.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Nope. No one is taking a picture of the crack house next door or the 7 cars parked on the street that all belong to one neighbor--my due diligence is the only thing I can count on.
Of course.
And, no one marketing a house is taking photos of cracked foundations, odors of cat and dog urine, or electric meter bases hanging off the wall except for foreclosures.

The photos are bait to reel you in. That is all. They will not work if they are used only to disclose defects.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:24 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Google street can be years old. When I googled my apt. building last year it showed a totally different view than what is there. I had huge planters outside my apt. about 5yrs ago and those were what was on google street.

Also, when I look at photos of homes for sale and then google it can look very different, as in if someone selling the home redoes the landscaping, takes trees down etc. So, even though I look at google street I don't always take it as current. It would be impossible for all streets to be current.

Or am I missing something?

Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
and the house looks really nice but when you get there it looks much worse?

I was walking my dogs past a house recently listed in my neighborhood. First of all it's about 30% overpriced
of even what a crazy person would pay for it, and dropped $5k the first week. There is only one comp that is close to it. Some of the other comps are 1/3 or less of the listing price.

it's a small/tiny starter home. 900 sq ft 3/2 Looks like an older roof too. Strange lot. about 1/3 acre but on a triangular block with only that home and an empty wooded lot behind it, making privacy and fencing a problem, plus the backyard itself is part of that overgrown Forrest.

They did clean up and paint the inside recently it looks like, no one was living in the home for a while. New carpets in the bedroom and tile floor in the living area, which is fine for Florida, as well as newer looking cheap white cabinets and new cheap stainless steel kitchen package.

They did a great job cleaning up the place and making the pictures look good. When you see it in person it won't look like the same house that's in the pictures from the outside.

They are also competing with much bigger homes in about the same condition for the same price.
So you've been inside since it was listed? And it doesn't look as good as the online photos suggest? Or you remember from before and have seen workers going inside and out?

As to the question theoretically asked .... all the time of course. And some of them are the homes I have listed for sale. The goal is to make them appealing in the photos without being untruthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate