Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times

Advertisements

So I was taking a look at some listings in NJ and noticed several that don’t appear to include a square footage number on the MLS listing (and no, not looking at Zillow).

In most cases what is most likely the actual square footage can be found from googling, but at first I thought it would not show up on any search where a square footage minimum or maximum is used, but actually it looks like they do show up accurately.

For example (and I have no interest in buying this and can’t come close to affording it)

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Freehold/1.../home/40522796

Google seems to say the square footage is 4116, and it shows up on searches for 4000+ square feet, but not 5000+ square feet.

Can agents “hide” the square footage so it is not visible but can still be applied to searches?

If so, why would they most likely do that? Do they not want to get sued if the square footage is off? Or do they think if the square footage were more prominently shown that it would make the home less desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 02:36 PM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Do either state law or the MLS regulations require advertising of SF in listings?

Old 04-22-2018, 02:43 PM

I would assume not since there seem to be quite a few instances of it.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:00 PM

558 posts, read 436,055 times
When I bought my first house after the divorce, I asked the realtor about the square footage. She said, "We don't talk about houses in terms of square footage these days. We talk about how many bedrooms and baths it has."

I don't think that is strictly true. But the realtor might be thinking in those terms.

Or she/he might not list it because it is small enough that it would scare you off from even considering it.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,073 times
Funny that it still shows up in searches/filters.

I thought one reason it may not be listed is due to unpermitted space.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
I heard something (in TN) about a liability when you advertise the exact sf in case it's off a little. something like that.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:55 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Probably state specific. In Illinois where we used to live the square footage was listed on all MLS listings and could be verified through the assessors office, but the sq footage did not include basements, even if it was finished.

Now in Indiana, the square footage again is always listed on MLS, but if the basement is finished than the square footage is included in the MLS as well. When we first started looking here we were a little mislead because we went to a few homes thinking the first and second levels included 3000 sq ft, but in reality, they were 2000 sq ft, with a 1000 square foot finished basement. We wanted 3k not including the basement. After a few homes visits our realtor explained this and it was easier for us to search for what we wanted, but again every state is different.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:14 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,230,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
When I bought my first house after the divorce, I asked the realtor about the square footage. She said, "We don't talk about houses in terms of square footage these days. We talk about how many bedrooms and baths it has."
This is true in NJ. It was weird after living in TX and MD, where square footage is always provided. My town's records have a square footage number for my house, but I'm not sure what it covers. Unfinished basement? Finished attic? Dunno.

NJ has other odd real estate customs, such as not allowing escalating offers, that are common in other states.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,248,569 times
We weigh houses and use that to sell houses by the pound.

Last edited by Rakin; 04-22-2018 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
This is true in NJ. It was weird after living in TX and MD, where square footage is always provided. My town's records have a square footage number for my house, but I'm not sure what it covers. Unfinished basement? Finished attic? Dunno
I guess my confusion is that as far as I can tell the majority of the other listings still do list the square footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post

I don't think that is strictly true. But the realtor might be thinking in those terms.

Or she/he might not list it because it is small enough that it would scare you off from even considering it.
This was one of my thoughts. But as I mentioned if you search for a minimum square footage it doesn’t look like it would come up unless it meets the criteria. But I guess the hope is that they “don’t talk about houses in terms of square footage” and thus don’t use it as part of their search criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I heard something (in TN) about a liability when you advertise the exact sf in case it's off a little. something like that.
This is what I’m thinking might be the most likely scenario. Especially if there are not specific guidelines regarding basements, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate