Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:35 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I find a realtor, besides going to the listing agent and representing myself, who actually goes to houses in his/her area?

Maybe I'm not going to the right offices, but I keep running into realtors who want me to "sign up on the computer and drive by" anywhere I want to see and then call them. They can't give me any real information about the neighborhood or tell me anything about the house, other than what the listing says.

Why do I need them? I can just go to the listing agent and make an offer based on my study of the comps, but I'd really like to find a knowledgeable agent who can listen to my needs and then recommend some properties that he or she has personally seen, as well as tell me whether or not they are over-priced.

Or is this just expecting too much in 2018?

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 03:12 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Are you in a buyer's or seller's market? In my seller's market, previewing homes, unless in a higher-end price point, went away several years ago because there was no time to preview and review and then get a client to the house.

The agents want you to drive by the properties because why do they want to do all the analysis work on pricing if you don't even like the street, much less the neighborhood or surrounding area?

As a buyer, you need to see what areas you like and don't like. Then you target those areas. Then the agent can do a lot more for you than what you're wanting them to do without you even knowing what you like. Everyone's opinion is subjective so wanting to know from an agent if something is "good" might mean one thing to you and something completely different to her.

There are plenty of houses my clients have bought that I never would have guessed would have been the choice for them from our interview of what they wanted. So, even if I saw 10 houses and narrowed down to show 4-5, the possibly might buy one of the ones I initially eliminated. It's just about getting out there and looking for yourself in person with the agent with you giving thoughts and opinions.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
On one hand, every realtor cannot visit or be familiar with every house; but, they can call the listing agent and (based on their own general knowledge of the area), ask some pertinent questions for you.

You can likewise, call the listing agent yourself and ask the questions -- including, "if I buy this house without my own realtor, should I expect to get half the listing fee off the top of the price?" -- What you are likely to get instead, is an offer to show you other houses in which you might be interested.

Of course, the listing agent is unlikely to tell you if they believe the house is over-priced or how low the owner is likely to go on the price.

You might optionally check around in the same area for other realtor signs ... and ask others what they think about the house you are interested in -- and other home prices in the area. They will be more interested in helping, if they believe they have an opportunity to make something on the transaction (versus simply answering questions).

Old 04-22-2018, 03:27 PM

That's good insight, FalconheadWest. Yes, it's a seller's market.

I'm feeling resentful because if I have to do all of this work, which used to be done by the realtor (I'm older), it seems like I should get some financial benefit, but that makes sense.

JGHorton, thank you! I'll go back to that. I did that on this house: my realtor was useless. I found this house, interviewed the neighbors, and went through the comps . . .

OK, I'll work on revising my attitude.

Thanks so much for the reality check!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:46 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I'm feeling resentful because if I have to do all of this work, which used to be done by the realtor (I'm older), it seems like I should get some financial benefit, but that makes sense.

JGHorton, thank you! I'll go back to that. I did that on this house: my realtor was useless. I found this house, interviewed the neighbors, and went through the comps . . .

OK, I'll work on revising my attitude.

Thanks so much for the reality check!
I agree and disagree with FHW. I completely agree that you need to look at neighborhoods and decide which ones you like because it makes no sense to look at homes in neighborhoods you don't like. I do agree with her on that.

I do think though, that it is the agent's job to educate you about the different neighborhoods and help you determine which neighborhoods have the types of homes you are interested in. Your first trip with your agent should be to drive around different neighborhoods in your price point and figure out what you are wanting. Then target homes in those areas. It is a much more efficient way to search for homes.

As someone in a very hot sellers market, there is absolutely no time to preview homes for clients, BUT that said, if the agent is active and busy, they might have already gone in a home you are interested in seeing. Buyer agents still have value, other than opening doors. You just haven't found a neighborhood expert yet.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:02 PM

I appreciate your insight as well, Silverfall.

I have already picked out my neighborhoods (and where I won't buy).

Here's another example where I think my time gets wasted: I make an appointment to see a house, but it turns out that the foundation needs 10K+ worth of work. Why did I have to wait 4 days to know that? It would've been nice if I had an agent who could say, "Skip A, B, and C because you aren't interested in massive repairs." This is a true story.

Now, I guess if I had taken time to talk with a neighbor, I could've found that out.

Anyway, off to drive and look at outsides of places . . . it's nice day here, for sure!

Old 04-22-2018, 04:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:

Not sure when the last time you bought a house was, but I've been doing this for 18 years, and what you describe is not "which used to be done by the Realtor"...

Buyers are buying the house, not the agents. Buyers get to pick the house that they buy, not the agent. It only makes sense for the buyer to make sure they like the area and the neighborhood and the street. Then you go looking at houses together for the agent to give an opinion on with you, not for you.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:32 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
I appreciate your insight as well, Silverfall.

I have already picked out my neighborhoods (and where I won't buy).

Here's another example where I think my time gets wasted: I make an appointment to see a house, but it turns out that the foundation needs 10K+ worth of work. Why did I have to wait 4 days to know that? It would've been nice if I had an agent who could say, "Skip A, B, and C because you aren't interested in massive repairs." This is a true story.
I'm confused. Your agent was aware that the house needed $10k in foundation repair but didn't tell you or your agent hadn't been in the house and when you walked in together, and then said this house needs $10k worth of foundation repairs?

Old 04-22-2018, 04:32 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I hope you can find someone who can do a little better at helping you! Maybe try to find a newer, more eager agent who is willing to go the extra mile for buyers. Sometimes the biggest name in town just doesn't have that kind of time to give.

I will spend time getting to know what clients are looking for... but we still aren't the buyer... and more than once I've been surprised by something the buyer liked, that I might have ruled out based on what they had said before. Buyers change their mind a lot, even on things they don't think they're going to budge on! So I do sort through search listings before I send them, but I try to err on the side or sending those I'm not sure on... and though I would report back on anything I know or can find out about a property, or certainly any I have showed before... I don't ~usually~ have the time to preview listings just to preview them, unless the buyers are out of the area and will be buying remotely!

I don't ask clients to drive by listings... I actually think they shouldn't go poking around the listing without me or without an appointment, particularly if they might be occupied. But I will gladly take them out to see homes at our earliest opportune....

I say all this to just let you know there are agents out there who will do much of what you seek.... just talk to a few. Go to open houses in your area, and talk to some of the agents working those... they are usually the agents who are actively looking for buyer clients, and they would love to help you.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Not sure when the last time you bought a house was, but I've been doing this for 18 years, and what you describe is not "which used to be done by the Realtor"...
Yep, it's been about 20 years. I was from out of the area. I gave my realtor a list of what I wanted in a house and three neighborhoods. She lined up 7 houses for me to see when I came to town. Four of those were EXACTLY what I wanted! I bought one and lived there until I moved to Iowa.

She LISTENED and TOOK NOTES, something I haven't seen anyone do since then. She knew the area! Selling real estate was truly her passion.

But apparently, things have totally changed.

Okay, I get that . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate