Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times

Advertisements

Is this the place to post about a weird and rare situation? The story evolves around roofing damage and a free tenant that was supposed to re-roof in exchange for free rent. But we could not get the required permit.

I don't feel that we have the grounds to evict so they can coast rent free for several months. I can't get a permit without living there. I can't live there because the house has rent free tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:06 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It's *near* the right place, though it may be more government building code related than real estate related... I'm curious *why* you can't get a permit without living there. Says who and why?

Old 04-23-2018, 08:18 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Yeah, I don't get that either. My fiancé and I are still living at his rented house while we work on the home we bought, but we've had no issues getting permits just because we aren't living there yet.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM

This is a Lee County, Florida peculiarity. Said to have the toughest roofing regulations in the nation. So roofing prices are really, really jacked up.

I strongly suspect that large contractors bought off local politicians. No other place has these requirements that I know of. I have done quite a bit of roofing, my grandfather owned Berrick Roofing & Sons.

Truly frustrating beyond description. I could finish the job I started in four good days. Roofing company wanted a minimum of $12,000. Which I do not have since no rent has been collected since Hurricane Irma and several thousand was spent due to other hurricane issues.

I'd like to save my house. Is that unreasonable? Rainy season is rapidly approaching. It will rain everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's *near* the right place, though it may be more government building code related than real estate related... I'm curious *why* you can't get a permit without living there. Says who and why?

Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 AM

I have to go to Denver for a day. I'll be responding when I get back. Thanks for any help and sage advice that may be extended.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Is this the place to post about a weird and rare situation? The story evolves around roofing damage and a free tenant that was supposed to re-roof in exchange for free rent. But we could not get the required permit.

I don't feel that we have the grounds to evict so they can coast rent free for several months. I can't get a permit without living there. I can't live there because the house has rent free tenants.
I don't see why you can't fix your own roof without a permit. You won't be able to get a permit with the county showing it was fixed but you will save your house. If you are in Cape Coral it might be worse than other areas. I heard that city runs itself like an HOA. I would think other more expensive parts of Lee may be a problem too.

You can evict the person. Give them 30 days notice and tell them they have to be out.

You don't have to live in the home to get a roofing permit. A lot of people own rental properties and don't live in them, how else could they ever fix their roof. Someone gave you the wrong info. If you called the city or town call again and get the right answer.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 04-23-2018 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 08:29 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I don't see why a landlord wouldn't be able to get a permit to fix a tenant's roof. Not only to be able to, but be required to.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
In the absence of a written lease, you can typically give 30 days notice. If they don't comply, you can then proceed with eviction.

Also, does one need a permit to repair their own house? Fixing a roof isn't exactly the same as adding a master suite.

Could you get down there, take the tenant to Home Depot with you, load up a van, and get home and get it done?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
You might look at evict.com which is a website run by a law firm in Tampa, IIRC. They can help you through an eviction if that is your immediate goal. If your roof is leaking, I can't imagine a better reason for getting a free tenant out of a house.

As for getting a permit, it is unclear (to me) if you are relying on a contractor for this information or the Lee County building department. I'm not in Lee County but it doesn't sound right to me. Building & Permitting Services has some info but I'd call them, even if you already tried once before, and explain everything so they have a clear picture of the situation. Don't ask them about eviction....that's not their area. Ask about the permit situation and note the name of the person you talked with and date/time you spoke. Getting it in writing via email would be even better. The best approach is to hire a local real estate attorney but that obviously costs money.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
We have a similar requirement in Irving Texas regarding new driveways. The owner may make repairs if living there. Otherwise must use City approved contractors.

OP, here’s what i would do. I would set up a temporary space in the house (occupied by your free tenants) with a cot and some personal items for the option of sleeping there (but I wouldn’t sleep there) I would go there a few days before the start of the job and just “be around” a couple of hours each day and maybe even leave my car there overnight. Heck you could take a good book or your laptop and relax in a lawnchair outside. I would continue with being present and leaving my car there the whole time the roofing job is being done. I might even change my mailing address with the USPS for a couple of weeks during that period. And I would photograph and timestamp my sleeping space, my car parked there, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate