Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:18 AM

718 posts, read 598,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Back Door Agent Remarks?"
Never forget: MLSs are owned by private enterprise, not a public utility.
You misunderstand. There is no "Back Door" thing. That is over-dramatizing. "Agent Only Remarks" are for members of that private enterprise to share with clientele as needed. They often include contact information, personal information for sellers or agents. Ok
Rules "At least where I am," prohibit me from putting my contact information in public areas that other agents may feed to their clients. Seems to be state specific.
Every now and then, there is disclosure of a pertinent fact that a buyer and their agent need to know for the transaction. My clients receive that, and listing agents disclose any material information to buyers who come to them without an agent.
Very often, Agent Remarks contain additional, or duplicate marketing, blather that may not fit into the limited character field of the public remarks. Ok.

I don't like to see consumers who come here harangued. Now, relentless Trolls/Bots/Pathological Liars who will toy with you merely to get digs in on agents? We get plenty, and I have absolutely no sympathy, empathy, or concern for them.
But, if you come here to contribute, learn, share, help, etc, you shouldn't be harangued.
That doesn't mean that I believe contributing agents must scrape and bow to misguided "wisdom," either. It is a discussion forum. It's a public forum.

Commission? Seller agent commission here is 5%, could possibly haggled
Almost no one anywhere pays 6% without choosing to do so. It is a choice. The choice mystifies me, and particularly in my local sellers' market where the most common (90% of listings) buyer's agent commission is 2.4%. 6% listing agents are taking 3.6% for selling a house in hours.
But I respect consumer's right to make choices from among existing alternatives.
Much commission conversation here comes from consumers who want to decide unilaterally what another party will accept as compensation, without the other party having a voice. I don't accept that posture.

"Game" has many connotations, and the choice of connotation colors the conversation.
Games have rules. Games have predictable outcomes for various actions.
Rules and predictable outcomes are not really bad things, are they?
Cheating at a game is generally a bad thing, but that is implicit in any game with rules, I believe. That includes cheating at real estate brokerage.

As an agent, I truly couldn't care less (C'mon, give me a little love for proper use of that phrase. ) if you do FSBO, use an agent to buy or don't; have representation or don't etc.
I also reserve the right to engage or not. As you have choices in commission, I have a choice of whether to play your game. As it should be, right? Sure.
How many homes have you purchased in dual agency situations? I dislike working in dual agency, and it is a disservice to most consumers, IMO. One and one FSBO, easiest purchase ever, the old farmer and I hit it off immediately. That was a lovely lake view limestone home.
35 years ago, Buyers agents did not exist. Everyone worked for the sellers. It stunk. I wasn't of age to buy RE then, so I have no experience to reference.

Solicitation?I do receive the odd postcard and/or email from agents that have my info, nothing wrong with it.
Personally, I am in a service profession, too. I advertise, but never solicit. Referrals from happy customers are the lifeblood of any successful real estate broker.
But, when it comes to pricing real estate, who would you designate to price a property so that negotiation was removed from the transaction?

We see "Game" friction when people and entities want to take what MLSs have for free, rather than to actually invest in building something themselves.
Why don't people who decry current rules make investment in their own solution with their own framework of engagement?It would take time. Maybe I'll reserve the right to look in to some platform for that unfilled space.
I think it is presumed to be easier and cheaper to steal what someone else has built.
Credit to Redfin for investing in a proper platform.
ZTR? Not so much.
See bolded replies. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 01:19 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,586,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
35 years ago, Buyers agents did not exist. Everyone worked for the sellers. It stunk.
FYI...

For the most part, buyer's agents do not exist outside of the US. And the world survives quite nicely without them.

I know from first hand experience that things are no easier or better for the buyer in the US with approx 2.5-3.0% paid for buyer's agents that just about everyone in the US selling a house needs to pay for, doubling the already very high (by global standards) listing agent fees. That's over $10k on a modest 350k house paid for the buyer's agent. Even if you want to go FSBO, many or most will be stuck having to pay a buyer's agent fee to get a buyer.

If buyers were getting 10k value from their buyer's agent, they would pay for it. But tell a buyer that they can have the services of a buyer's agent IF THEY PAY FOR IT and watch how fast almost all of them would run out the door. In basic economics, buyers will pay for things where they get value. The fact that very few buyers would pay anything even approaching what buyers agents cost today speaks volumes. We don't really have to debate our different opinions on how useful buyers agents are or are not. What matters is whether buyers are willing to pay for it. The answer to that is a resounding 'no'.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:00 PM

43,258 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I should give him kudos too, for remembering to say "At least where I am"
At least where I am, I can feel it in the Force....

Old 04-29-2018, 08:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,376,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
I've found the information I've researched to be accurate and fairly easy to locate either through MLS information or county recorder of deeds. YMMV.
I'm guessing you are not in a non-disclosure state (I believe 11 states are such). In such states, you do not have to tell anyone, including the tax man, what you paid for your house - privacy is respected. In those states, you would not be able to get sales price, never mind the other private information.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:42 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,193,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post

Bo, apologies for not stating "in my experience" that has been the case and for generalizing in such a way that it lumped "all" as opposed to "some."
not a problem at all, thank you for the clarification!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate