Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM

179 posts, read 515,637 times

Advertisements

This is my situation. I am in a neighborhood that is only 3 years old. However, up the road the same builder has a new neighborhood going in. My house has been on the market for 1 1/2 months with no showings. My realtor says that most homes being sold in my area are coming from the new neighborhood. They have heavily discounted their new homes because of too much inventory and are offering realtors additional money on top of their commissions. I am now looking to possibly rent out my house but does anyone have any advice on getting people to look at it. I would prefer not to be a landlord. By the way, the new neighborhood up the street will be attending a brand new elementary school this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,930,036 times
With all things being equal, like sq ft or location, there's an old saying: "Price cures all defects." In your case, the house is pretty new, but it doesn't have the virginal aspect of brand spankin' new construction. You're competing against those houses for people who prefer new construction, like you did when you bought your house.

Additionally, there's more to that new construction than the reported price. There's also soft money items like upgrades, yard/landscaping improvements, closing costs, mortgage buydowns, HOA fee prepayments and warranties. All of these things might go into a purchase contract but not show up in the final comparable sale number.

Simply, you're in a classic situation. You're selling a used house in a new market area.

Sorry for the this post, but that's my take on your situation. The resolution is to make your house more attractive. How can you do that? You can start with spit and polish on every physical aspect of your home, but that will not get the people in your door and keep them there once they see their other options. That has to be accomlished with your price and perhaps other benefits that affect the bottom line for the buyers.

Personally, I wouldn't offer more than the standing agent commission for your area, but I certainly wouldn't offer less in this market. I don't think higher than standard commissions are overly effective, excpet for the very few agents who have compromised ethical standards (i.e., steering clinets into higher commission properties). Instead, take the extra commission percentage you might have considered and apply it to a lower house price or towards a buyers closing costs.

Again, sorry for the post but that's my take if your property does not have anything particularly defective about it that the others don't have (i.e., train tracks behind it). Even in that case, "Price cures all defects."

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,127,926 times
Lovingville,

Besides the valid points that Garth already presented, I would add that you should make sure you have substantial signage that points from the new-construction neighborhood to your house. Make sure there is a never-ending supply of quality flyers in the flyer box out front and make it really easy for your house to be shown. On weekends, when most people visit the model homes of new-construction neighborhoods, have your agent hold your house open to the public. I hope you'll find a buyer soon.

Sandy

Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM

10,916 posts, read 21,890,647 times
You need it priced well and showing like new.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice. It is defintely showing new. My realtor went through and had me put a TON of stuff in storage and helped me stage it. It looks beautiful. If I didn't want to get out of a 2 story so bad I would be happy. As far as price, I have it listed for 289.9K. It has 3619 sf, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath and bonus room. Huge kitchen with corian countertops, Hardwood floors and tile throughout. I think if someone would just look at it they would want it.

FYI, I am in Simpsonville, SC.

Last edited by lovingville; 03-20-2008 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Updated location

Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,410,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingville View Post
As far as price, I have it listed for 289.9K. It has 3619 sf, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath and bonus room. Huge kitchen with corian countertops, Hardwood floors and tile throughout. I think if someone would just look at it they would want it.

FYI, I am in Simpsonville, SC.
What are the comparable homes up the road selling for?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:08 PM

There is one that is < 3000 sf listed at the same price and another one <3000 sf listed at 287K.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,410,440 times
What about homes that have actually sold?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Only 1 home has sold in the last 6+ months and it was a basement home for 310K.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 AM

12 posts, read 38,824 times
Lease your property until the market levels off again. Your thinking is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate