Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 PM

898 posts, read 597,716 times

Advertisements

Did you see this one? Being the white elephant in the neighborhood and that it's in New Britain, You might be able to get a deal on it. Gorgeous architecture. In Glastonbury add $100k. My friend has a normal ranch just a few doors away.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/13_zm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 PM

331 posts, read 207,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Did you see this one? Being the white elephant in the neighborhood and that it's in New Britain, You might be able to get a deal on it. Gorgeous architecture. In Glastonbury add $100k. My friend has a normal ranch just a few doors away.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/13_zm/
I just saw a house with nearly 4K sf. Owners said they paid $400 a month. That’s what they claimed, but dh wasnt buying it. I Loved it. Dh said if we get a home that big, I have to get a job. He said it would be to pay for heating lol.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,053 times
There’s no such thing as a “low ball” offer. An offer is an offer. The seller can say no. There’s also no such thing as “market price”.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
It's listed 90 days - but it's also May - the start of the real estate season in places like that. They might be planning on keeping it on the market hoping springtime will bring in a buyer paying what they hope to get.

In any event, make sure you have a good buyer agent before you make an offer. A good buyer agent will often be able to interact with the seller agent and get him to "goose" the sellers to accept any reasonable offer, often substantially less than 95% of asking. They have various (unmentioned to the parties involved) mechanisms to achieve a "low ball" sale, that activity based primarily on "a sale," because, no sale = no commission, to either one.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
It's listed 90 days - but it's also May - the start of the real estate season in places like that. They might be planning on keeping it on the market hoping springtime will bring in a buyer paying what they hope to get.

In any event, make sure you have a good buyer agent before you make an offer. A good buyer agent will often be able to interact with the seller agent and get him to "goose" the sellers to accept any reasonable offer, often substantially less than 95% of asking. They have various (unmentioned to the parties involved) mechanisms to achieve a "low ball" sale, that activity based primarily on "a sale," because, no sale = no commission, to either one.
He doesn’t have an agent. From what I can gather is he bought in 09 and there has been no big change in value. The town is still nice, good schools. A lot of people are losing money on homes. Another house we looked at in an in-demand area with great schools is listed for 10k what was paid in 2010. A lot of the sellers have made very little upgrades and are trying to minimize their losses. I get it, but their houses aren’t selling as a result.

You may be right though. Maybe the summer would bring new listing and offers.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Sellers typically won’t lower their price due to you wanting to upgrade cosmetic feature just because you don’t like them. They typically will allow concessions if something needs repair. Unless they are desperate to sell I’d be shocked. But it’s worth a try. Hopefully no one grabs the other house you like in the meantime!
Quote:
I misspoke, I am waiting until seller replies then will make my next bid or accept his counter, if he counters with something to my liking.
if you like house #2 better, then you shouldn't hesitate to make an offer on it. The chances you somehow wind up with 2 "yeses" at the same time to your offer as it stands right now are very remote.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you like house #2 better, then you shouldn't hesitate to make an offer on it. The chances you somehow wind up with 2 "yeses" at the same time to your offer as it stands right now are very remote.
We are probably go to make an offer Monday. We saw a house today, but it was missing something it had listed. Our agent said our offer was a good starting offer. He also said that house is more than likely to stay on the market for sometime.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:00 PM

So we got the house for 306k and we are paying closing. Seems fair to me. Happy with the results. Just figured I’d update.

Last edited by Newtohartfordct; 05-24-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Congratulations!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
It is funny, to an owner, coming down $7,000 on a $750,000 house is a big deal, That is because it comes right out of the owner's net and therefore out of their pocket.

To a buyer it is not really discounted until say $50,000 off that same price. That is because over 30 years $7,000 hardly makes any difference at all.

When we had our house in California for sale a guy looked at it in May or June and made what we considered to be an insulting offer. We told our realtor to not even bother responding. I do not think we had any other offers. By the end of July we were getting our kids ready to go back to school and told our realtors to pull the house off the market. We would try again in a year or two, or four. We did not want to move after the kids started back to school. Our realtor contacted lowball guy and told him we were pulling the house off the market and if he really wanted it, he had better come back with a real offer right now. He did and we sold the house. Point is, if your offer is read as lowball, it may not be the end of the game (unless someone else makes a better offer). The seller may well wait and see what other offers come in and then if nothing interesting, or if a similar offer, they may contact you and see if you want to make a better offer.

Or they may accept it. you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate