Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
Interesting article pertaining to the OP:

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...onal-brokerage
As I am truly open to honest discussion,I read the entire article, but here's her lead-in:

Quote:
The time has come for you to buy a house, and you know to follow conventional wisdom and seek out a real estate professional you can trust. But when you go to round up referrals from friends, you find that everyone reports they wouldn’t actually recommend their previous agent.
every study ever done has shown that buyers would recommend their agent at a 75%+ level.

Look, the internet has caused every media publication to require new material from their online contributors every day or few days. This young lady, who graduated from college a mere 6 years ago,is not likely to have been trough the process of buying/selling multiple times, if even once.

She found the largest "tech-forward" entity (Redfin) and quickly proclaimed its ubiquity - while there are more 200K+ MSA's that DON'T have Redfin brokerages than do - and 2 outfits that have never been heard of and aren't doing anything remarkable.

Just as a Seller is free to choose a service model that works for them, buyers are free to sit down with a qualified agent and negotiate service and compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If I was going to pick one thing that would disrupt the real estate industry, it would be making agents employees and not independent contractors. If that was the case you would see a massive, massive shift in the industry.
what would you need your salary and benefits package to be to become an employee?

Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what would you need your salary and benefits package to be to become an employee?
Well, I own my brokerage so that is a moot question, but the reason I say that is because we would lose about 75% of real estate agents very quickly because employers that can do math would have to eliminate those minimally involved agents from their company. No one would hire the agent that sells one home a year if they have to pay them an hourly or monthly salary. They would not be worth the paperwork headache. Doing payroll for the two transaction agent? Not going to happen.

Brokerages would also invest more training in rookies, screen them better, and likely have more successful agents as a result. If you are paying someone's salary, you are going to make sure you get the up and running quickly so that they could contribute.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:54 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Good question. What I would depend on my schedule and benefits. If I'm an employee I want more fixed hours which would include limited nights and weekends.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well, I own my brokerage so that is a moot question, but the reason I say that is because we would lose about 75% of real estate agents very quickly because employers that can do math would have to eliminate those minimally involved agents from their company. No one would hire the agent that sells one home a year if they have to pay them an hourly or monthly salary. They would not be worth the paperwork headache. Doing payroll for the two transaction agent? Not going to happen.

Brokerages would also invest more training in rookies, screen them better, and likely have more successful agents as a result. If you are paying someone's salary, you are going to make sure you get the up and running quickly so that they could contribute.
There are ample service models for part time employees that could be modified to work.
We could see the rise of billable hours, collections as employee responsibility, minimum wage rate draws against commission, and "bold innovation" in manipulations of employment law by brokers to minimize exposure to excessive costs.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are ample service models for part time employees that could be modified to work.
We could see the rise of billable hours, collections as employee responsibility, minimum wage rate draws against commission, and "bold innovation" in manipulations of employment law by brokers to minimize exposure to excessive costs.
Sure you could have productive part-timers. Especially agents that are in the retiring phase of their career.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Good question. What I would depend on my schedule and benefits. If I'm an employee I want more fixed hours which would include limited nights and weekends.

Fixed hours? Oh I hope that never happens. I went into this so I didn't have to live by an alarm clock every day. I just have a life, and fit my work into it.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:12 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Fixed hours? Oh I hope that never happens. I went into this so I didn't have to live by an alarm clock every day. I just have a life, and fit my work into it.
You're right. I probably wouldn't want "fixed" hours either in retrospect.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:34 PM

You can be salaried and pick your own schedule. That part wouldn't have to change you would just have to work a certain number of hours or they would pay your hourly.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:35 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Real estate transactions are too damn complicated. Too many crazy variables that come up before closing and require negotiations to work things out or walk away. No artificial intelligence can account for that or the unpredictable minds of human nature.

Houses are not like car, widgets, or anything else. Deeds, easements, rights of way, liens, HOA, access, encroachments, leases, minteral interests, taxes, personal property, covenants, special tax districs, water, sewer, septic, well, survey, insurance, utilities, historical, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate