U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 AM

8,210 posts, read 12,421,256 times

Advertisements

Mostly a feeling depressed vent....

I'm 7 hours away and have been trying to buy a place for some time in a very competitve market.
I've tried to develop as much a relationship with this realtor as I can from a long way away as I have to rely on him to preview properties to some extent. I am careful not to waste his time and have only sent him out 3 times without me and have only went out with him on short trip once. (I did go up earlier before the market and drive by somethings on my own before the market went totally nuts)

Last time I went up to look at properties (a month ago?) my realtor mentoned he would be going out of town for the weekend. Sure, didn't think much of it.
Back home for two weeks I see a property that looks really good. I think its on the weekend. I call, sure ok, but he's out of town at the mo'. Well properties in my price range are going under contract in 48 hours if they aren't overpriced so, too late.
See something yesterday, kind of a compromise but at this point as the market has steadily worsened I'm feeling desperate, or perhaps more realistic, so I email. Oh yea, that looks cute, I live a few miles away, nice should I put in an offer? Me: Could you drive by on your way home at least before we try to submit an offer? Oh well I'm out of town till Tuesday.
Ok.....? Holiday weekend and all. Although honestly I would have thought this was probably the hottest weekend for realtors up there. IDK

I know from moving/renting throughout my life how different things can look in picutures. Places that I considered online and then drove by later after moving to town, oh bullet dodged. So I do feel reluctant to bid without a driveby although in this particular case at least he knows of the neighborhood. I do feel on a couple of occassions when he is previewing that IRL we might have disagreed on some things, I don't think he gets me but I dont think that there is a realtor that will so I can't worry about that.

I picked this guy because during early days, when I was just sort of browsing prior to retirement there was a house being sold by his mother. I had called to pick her brain (yes I told her I was just trying to learn about the area and she didn't have to talk to me) and she seemed very knowledgeable. Later when I was getting more serious I wanted to use her but she wanted me to use this guy, her son, as she is more or less retired now. This family has lived in and knows the area very well.

I'm not sure what to think or do. I don't want to start over with a realtor. Its throwing darts a board, will a different one be any better? The property from yesterday is probably already gone.

Still, this is a northern tourist lake destination. They only have about 3 months of good lake weather. I'm thinking this is peak season for realtors. Like tax time for CPA's. I would think you work pretty solid April May June.

I started an email to ask him but stopped - do you just routinely not work weekends? Should I ask for someone that can cover for him? He does work in an agency. Last time he was headed out of town, I was headed out of town and a property hit the market. He texted me and said if I wanted to turn around and see it he could get his mother to show it. I actually drove by it myself and weeded it out, no showing necessary. He didn't suggest that this time.

Not sure what to think, what kind of discussion to have.

warning: please don't tell m to rent. The rental mkt is notoriously tough ergo rentals that take cats are non existant. I can point you to the reddit threads if you dont believe me.

Last edited by Giesela; 05-27-2018 at 06:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:46 AM

8,226 posts, read 4,882,067 times
I do know realtors with stricter rules, but speaking for us, we're almost always on call. And yes, work takes precedence on weekends, we can do weekend on Wednesday if we want! And often do.

But hubby and I are both realtors, and we don't have kids or competing schedules where Saturday has to be Saturday. That would change everything.

I would try to reconnect with this guy... It is possible he thinks you're not serious until you come out, and he doesn't want to hustle out to see things if you're just curious and looking. See if you can convince him you're really ready to buy if the right place comes along... and ask him about his scheduling. Tell him what your plan is if he previews for you and says a place is worth making an offer on.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:52 AM

19,433 posts, read 9,155,509 times
I think he is out of town too much not to have someone covering for him. My realtor friend only truly gets away when she goes on vacation out of state or country. Weekends are always interrupted. When she is truly on vaca, someone handles her clients for her so they don't miss out like you are describing.

Putting in an offer w/o even driving by? No way. Our market is hot as hades but she does showing after showing. People want to look at 10 places, fine. Her problem often is they want to go out of town and she's like ok, but if you want this house, it will be gone when you get back.......

Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 AM

Last month when I was up looking he said he was leaving town (4 hours away) for a tournament. (Boy if he sees this he is gonna know I'm talking about him.)
Not sure where he is now but its till late Tuesday night! He has mentioned road trips with his girlfriend. He hasn't mentioned kids but I suppose he could be divorced with kids.
So maybe she works doing something with weekend hours or he is the president of his weekend tournament club or something IDK.

Do I just straight out ask him if he is normally always out of town on weekends?

It costs close to 150.00 in gas, a few hundred in hotel bills plus cat sitting every time I go up there, not to mention all the driving gets exhausting. So it has to be something I want to see, with the speed of the market thats hard. I have to rely on him to say, lets put in an offer, you come up and if you really can't stand it, use the inspection period to back out - which I really don't like the idea of it seems sort of unethical to me and I really only want to do this if I feel pretty sure. Losing my mind here.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:55 AM

127 posts, read 72,026 times
I’m not a professional, but I just bought in a really competitive market from a distance and my realtor was available every single time I texted her. The day we finally went under contract she gave me a FaceTime tour of I think 6 or 7 properties all in a row. As we moved through the closing process she was there for almost everything but when she wasn’t there was a team of three other agents - including her managing broker who was also available every time I called - who stepped in as needed. I would look for a new agent if I were you (ours was a group or team that markets themselves under their managing broker’s name, i.e. The Smith Group) who wants to get you under contract as much as you do!

Old 05-28-2018, 12:46 AM

3,331 posts, read 1,283,220 times
I work 7 days a week...with that said, I often have a day during the week where I dont have any appointments scheduled. So that is my day off...unless someone calls wanting to see a house. My phone ringer is turned off at 10 PM, but I'm up until about 1 am and do get texts. Up around 9 am if no appointments.
If I go out of town I have an agent in the office that I give any clients needing to see something to.
In this kind of business, I think accessibility is very important, so buyers dont miss out on a house and my sellers dont miss getting their home sold.
But I LOVE my job, and it really doesn't seem like work finding homes for people, or showing jomes.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:32 AM

669 posts, read 306,953 times
Get a new realtor?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 AM

Well yesterday I got the mother involved and she was going to go look at it today but my realtor (her son) txted this morning that they had received an offer.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:34 AM

19,237 posts, read 28,780,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I picked this guy because during early days, when I was just sort of browsing prior to retirement there was a house being sold by his mother. I had called to pick her brain (yes I told her I was just trying to learn about the area and she didn't have to talk to me) and she seemed very knowledgeable. Later when I was getting more serious I wanted to use her but she wanted me to use this guy, her son, as she is more or less retired now. This family has lived in and knows the area very well.

I.
parent knows child is lazy, tries to "help" him make a go of it in business by turning over their reputation and contacts to said child....never works.

Move along. Tell mom it's not working out with her son and if she can help you great, otherwise you'll need to find another realtor. Bottom line, you're not there and when you CAN get there it's likely to be a weekend, right? You need a realtor who works realtor hours, and that's weekends.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,443,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Get a new realtor?

^^^^^^This, get a new Realtor.
Realtor works FOR YOU. I'm sure there is a Realtor in the area that would be excited to make this happen for you.
Get rid of the deadbeat mommas boy. And remember, as the buyer, you are the one actually paying his commission, the seller simply writes the check that is drawn on the funds you purchased the house with. :-)

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 05-28-2018 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or