Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:46 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

We're in a lovely seller's market right now. This is quite different from a buyer's market, in which sellers have to jump through multiple hoops just to get their home some viewings. The OP is lucky he can call some of the shots. Next time he might not be so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We're in a lovely seller's market right now. This is quite different from a buyer's market, in which sellers have to jump through multiple hoops just to get their home some viewings. The OP is lucky he can call some of the shots. Next time he might not be so lucky.
It doesn’t sound like it is a seller’s market in the OP’s area. She indicated that other properties in her area took quite a long time to sell or even get viewings, which is why she should be happy that people are showing some interest. It’s a 7-acre property. I don’t know how she thinks that it isn’t going to take time to look at the property and make sure everything is okay before making an offer, particularly if the property has multiple outbuildings and natural features.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
In a hot sellers market you sell the home without any showings. There are no second showings because if it's shown it's gone that same day.

A buyers market has looky loos wasting your time, time and time on 3 different days.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
In a hot sellers market you sell the home without any showings. There are no second showings because if it's shown it's gone that same day.

A buyers market has looky loos wasting your time, time and time on 3 different days.
That’s actually not the case. In the hot markets, they will probably leave the home open long enough for a multiple offer situation and then have a date where everyone can give their best and final offer. I have a family member in an area like that, and she’s been outbid on several properties, one by more than $100K. There are some where she hasn’t even bothered to put in an offer because the listing agent (she goes to open houses) tells her that it’s expected to go $200K over asking.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 PM

71 posts, read 53,240 times
Selling a house is never easy. We sold a few houses when our daughter was young and we always had pets. When a showing was scheduled, we got out whenever possible, and tried to take the pets with us, too. It was disruptive but necessary. If you really want to sell, you give the prospective buyers as much as time as possible to look at the house and property, imagining it as their own. The people who are coming back again and lingering--perhaps there are different priorities between the husband and wife in regards to what they're going to buy, and they are trying to hash it out. Or they are down to making a decision between your house and another, and they are nitpicking the details in order to determine what is the best choice. Maybe they are trying to figure out how much it will cost to make changes they want, or if their mother-in-law will be able to traverse the stairs, or if their chickens will be safe on the acreage. As another poster said, it's not like buying socks. It's the most expensive purchase people make, and they want to get it right. Some people need to feel absolutely certain about their decision.

We will be selling our current house next year. Unfortunately, I am a bit of a softie when it comes to animals and I've rescued four cats and a dog. That number of pets does not make for good house showings. Our plan is to buy/rent another place, move me and the animals out, put new carpet in, then put it on the market. There will be no evidence of pets, no stress for my babies, and people can look for as long as they want. It will be inconvenient, but I've created my own complications by adopting these pets and I will have to find a way to work around that.

It's part of the harsh realities of selling...yes, it's still your house, but perhaps while it's on the market, you lose some of your privacy. You're in transition. It might be better to make arrangements to work elsewhere--like a friend's house or a library--until the house is sold. Otherwise, your choices are to grin and bear it when there are interruptions, or wait to sell it until you can find other accommodations for your work.

Good luck! Hopefully the sale comes quickly and for the price you want.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:41 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That’s actually not the case. In the hot markets, they will probably leave the home open long enough for a multiple offer situation and then have a date where everyone can give their best and final offer. I have a family member in an area like that, and she’s been outbid on several properties, one by more than $100K. There are some where she hasn’t even bothered to put in an offer because the listing agent (she goes to open houses) tells her that it’s expected to go $200K over asking.
Is your family member only going to visit properties which are held as open houses? If so, she is either not an immediate, serious buyer or she is not likely to be successful buying a property in a hot market.

Sometimes, around here, houses that are scheduled for open houses are sometimes sold before the first open house, while other sellers don't even permit their houses to be held open. As a prospective seller, I doubt seriously that I will allow my home to be used as "Open House" fodder.

Your family member should be looking at "just listed" houses to get a jump start on other buyers, plus she should be working with an agent who has access to houses that don't even make it to the MLS.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
We have a saying in our office -- "Anyone looking at a house for the third time is probably not going to buy it." The first time, they fall in love with it. The second time, they are trying to see if that feeling was real. If they come around for a third time, they start nit-picking and talk themselves out of it.

I've seen it happen again and again. Saw one house with three different buyers who each visited at least three times. One visited six times, then turned around and bought a house they had only seen twice.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:14 AM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
I see it as a good sign. We went back to the house we eventually purchased several times...just us, us and her parents, us with mine. We liked it and wanted to be absolutely sure since any regrets later on would be very problematic. I'd be more disappointed if they left in 15 minutes, since that would be a definite see ya'

You could buy a golf cart if they skip away, so any future buyers will get around the property faster.

But I do understand your point since you have to log off work and then vanish with the dogs over and over.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:28 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
right so they have to bother the home owner 3 times, 90 minutes each time for that.
Right, because it is such a "bother" to have someone take a few hours before deciding to throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at the seller.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Can you work from someplace else
Jesus, there are a large number of people who have reading comprehension issues!

She said she is many miles away from any coffee shops, libraries or other options.

And 5 hours over 3 visits - ridiculous. That’s just someone who can’t, or won’t, make up their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate