Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 AM

604 posts, read 838,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hopefully.
Stuff happens.

I have to say, if it is happening repeatedly, perhaps your agent should attend showings, or certainly the 2nd and 3rd showings, to help set a pace.

Some people need an hour in a simple subdivision property, $400,000 house on 1.5 acre.
I can imagine needing more time on 7 acres with pond.

But, something isn't lining up when multiple people need more time than scheduled.
I agree. They should know that it's more of a 1.5 to 2 hour appointment. I think I'm surprised by all of the activity in this rural area. A house near me has been on the market for a year and the agent got almost no interest. It's a different type of house, but I assumed it was the area.

Its probably best for me to assume all appts will be 1.5 hours minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Shouldn't the agents know this and plan accordingly?
Ideally. I do mention to listing agents or sellers if I talk to them, if "these clients tend to be methodical and may take an hour or more!" Although, sometimes we don't know which property is going to make the client want to sit and think awhile. I hate to rush clients when they hit that moment... And it would usually be a mistake to, though sometimes on listings that are occupied, we have certainly said "well.... let's go talk down the road and let these people come home!" Particularly when we've been standing talking in the driveway and seen them drive by and look!

I will also say on rural or complex properties it is not altogether unusual for the owner to stay and help answer questions about the property, as your hubby did walking the property line.... I'm sure you and your listing agent have talked about this and I will defer to your agent's advice for your market area, but it has often helped sell a rural or farm property, for the owner to be there, contrary to typical advice. Owners on farms know why things are where they are, what everything does, where the lines are buried, how many bales of hay they get from the field, how often the creek floods and to where. This is valuable information and we always appreciate a friendly and helpful owner when we bring buyers.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-28-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 09:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Sometimes it takes a long time to view a home. That is a good sign, not a bad one. That means you may sell quickly, OP : )

Old 05-28-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Sometimes it takes a long time to view a home. That is a good sign, not a bad one. That means you may sell quickly, OP : )
I understand that. But I have a tight schedule for the next week or so and have made that clear to my agent, who has told the other agents. I don't mind if someone goes a few minutes over. But, if someone is really interested and wants to see the property for longer than their appointment time, they still need to respect my wishes. If an agent asks for a 1 hour appointment, they should not expect the seller to vacate their house indefinitely and just wait until they're done. It is their job to make sure the potential buyers understand that they need to stick to the appointment time, give or take a few minutes, and if they need longer it will take a 2nd appointment due to the seller's work schedule.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:01 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
I understand that. But I have a tight schedule for the next week or so and have made that clear to my agent, who has told the other agents. I don't mind if someone goes a few minutes over. But, if someone is really interested and wants to see the property for longer than their appointment time, they still need to respect my wishes. If an agent asks for a 1 hour appointment, they should not expect the seller to vacate their house indefinitely and just wait until they're done. It is their job to make sure the potential buyers understand that they need to stick to the appointment time, give or take a few minutes, and if they need longer it will take a 2nd appointment due to the seller's work schedule.
I understand all your sentiments, but you are selling your home, and dealing with buyers and their agents, and the realities of trying to schedule other people who do not know in advance how they will feel about your property. It will translate as hostile and unwelcoming to stress these "rules". These are buyers, not unwelcome guests. To make it livable for you, I would either: assume at least two hours, no matter what they say... or ask your agent if it is OK if you stay and keep working. And either way, nod, smile, and do the best you can. It won't last forever.... just til you sell.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 AM

127 posts, read 107,184 times
We just purchased our first home and Diana is right. We pulled an offer on a house after we got a nasty feeling about the seller (and it sat for another month while houses here go in 1-5 days). If you don’t have the time for people to be seeing your property - and it is still yours, they don’t know what they’re getting into yet, please remember that - maybe take it off the market for a week or two until you can accommodate buyers.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I understand all your sentiments, but you are selling your home, and dealing with buyers and their agents, and the realities of trying to schedule other people who do not know in advance how they will feel about your property. It will translate as hostile and unwelcoming to stress these "rules". These are buyers, not unwelcome guests. To make it livable for you, I would either: assume at least two hours, no matter what they say... or ask your agent if it is OK if you stay and keep working. And either way, nod, smile, and do the best you can. It won't last forever.... just til you sell.
I understand, but I have to work and make a living. I find it hard to believe that potential buyers can't understand that. Since they don't seem to understand, I will assume 2 hours for the rest of the appointments.

My agent has asked the other agents to text her when they leave so that she can text me. We thought that would work so that I won't interrupt them and if they leave early I can get back to work. None have done so.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:14 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Usually the hour or so time given for a showing is the arrival time. Not the showing time. When scheduling multiple properties in one day, there is no way to schedule an exact arrival time for houses other than the first one of the day. So if showing 8 houses, the first on will have an exact arrival time, and the others will have a range...because there is no way to tell which homes someone will like and want to really check out. And which they will walk into and not like, and leave in 5 min. So appointments are scheduled in a block of time as to when they will arrive.
Dont be upset about longer showings. It's actually good that they really want to check it out. If they arrived, looked briefly at house and left, chances are that they didnt like it.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
So my house is on the market. It's in a rural area and I work from home and have 2 dogs. My agent put in the MLS that owners need 24 hour notice for showings. I did not expect showings right off the bat due to the area I live in. I should have been prepared for immediate showings, but I didn't expect it based on other houses in the area that sit on the market for usually at least 3-4 months.

Long story short, every potential buyer has gone way over their appointment time, even though they are told I work from home and they must finish on time, or shortly after. Some potential buyers have been to my house 3 times now and they went over on their appointment yesterday by 1/2 an hour. Is this normal?
Only if they like it. Stop standing in the way of a sale.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Only if they like it. Stop standing in the way of a sale.
So I need to quit my job or get fired for missing excessive work so I don't stand in the way of a sale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate