U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM

385 posts, read 261,907 times

Advertisements

Condominium regime - Concern resolution ?
========================================

Thanks for replies to my postings.

First and foremost I LOVE this forum. I've been on here a while now but have taken your wonderful advice/tips.

My wife and I are purchasing our very first home in Maryland. I looked a property listed as

Style: Colonial, Ownership: Fee Simple Type: Townhouse in MRIS listing.

It too says:
HOA/Condo/Coop Fee Includes: CAM, Lawn Care front, Lawn Care rear, Lawn Maintenance, Lawn Care side, Management, Master Ins Policy, Reserve Funds, Road Maint, Sewer, Snow Removal, Trash Removal, Water

This property has Master Ins Policy. It looks like a condominium regime community.

The tax record shows assessment for Land & Improvements and Total Tax Assessment for land + improvement(structure/House). If I buy this property, I will pay taxes for land + improvement(structure/House).

I did review the DEED. It specify "The lot or condoiminium unit conveyed here in is subject to a lien for water and sewer facilities utility assessment imposed by XXX CORP. Declaration provides all lots and condoiminium units in the subdivision are subject to a lien and covenant running with the land as a general uniform plan of development in the total dollar amount of xxx per year, which convent and lean payale annually a period of 40 years. "

I did not see wording of ownership of land portion, boundary definition, dimension etc in the DEED document. We did not see any disclosures from seller in this regards.

We are concerned, whether we will hit any land mines after purchasing this property.

Will we have ownership for land piece of this unit or condominium regime owns the land and we own only structures?

How will the lien described in DEED impact our ownership? Who is liable to pay $XXX per year described in lien portion?

Where can I get correct info to resolve our concerns?

Thanks in advance for your time to review my post and providing help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:53 AM

18,051 posts, read 10,062,567 times
you need to ask your agent and your attorney or title officer. I have no idea what a "condominium Regime" is. It would be very standard for a HOA neighborhood to use common areas for utility systems, and pretty common for that utility company to have some type of lien.

If the utility companies filed a lien because maybe they installed and said "pay us back over time instead of all upfront" ... then that payment/lien is within your HOA dues (unless otherwise disclosed). It's rare but possible they pay for it with an annual assessment, but that would have been disclosed.

Master insurance covers HOA liability, and your liability, within the common areas.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:50 PM

2,228 posts, read 957,907 times
This reminds me of someone I knew.

He lived in a HOA. The HOA is where there's a board determining things for the residents, sometimes with different degrees of resident input and ways of sharing info with residents...to some of this..all the way to nada from either side.

Basically, a HOA has things in common so they need a system of collecting money for upkeep of those things and for maintaining and repairing them and even to see about abandoning them or expanding them.

Now, in this friend's case, he and his family lived in a townhouse. Until I met them, I only knew townhouses where limited space came under the owners' concern. So they couldn't paint whatever color they wanted, the HOA did the lawn, but allowed a few flowers maybe, the HOA took care of the roof and deck. But in this situation the family owned it fee simple. Fee simple is like how people usually own their single private home.

So those owners owned their deck and front yard etc. To mix it up, though, the HOA mowed that yard and stained that deck. And did take care of the roof and siding.

AND, all the homeowners in that complex, which was not large, were on a single water meter and had to pay a portion of the bill. This might be what they mean by the lien for water and sewer. Just that there is this common meter and the bill needs to be paind. Mind blowing. Anyway, what the manager did was set a monthly amount they each had to pay. Sometimes, the owners had to come up with more if there was a lot more water used.

The irony is, one woman took in laundry for her church members. Another washed more cars than others in his driveway. Others did more landscape watering. And others did none of that and were conservative with water.

You should ask the board president or HOA manager about your questions. And ask the neighbors what their experiences have been, how they feel about living there. And then get good legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or