Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Outdated?

What do you mean?

Does it have electricity, indoor plumbing, heating, and telephone service? If so, it ain't outdated.
I just had to replace all the wiring in a ‘69 home. And redo other parts of the structure. It was a home with modern conveniences, sure, but also not to code and with genuine challenges from years of other owners and sheer time. And yeah, it was aesthetically very tired looking. We are, however, closing things back in with an eye towardhonoring it’s style and age, and retaining as much of the wonderful original character (like the yellow bathroom tub and tile) as we can. Skillfully blending the older with newer makes it all look timeless, IMO.

We LOVE the house, but have also had to pour love, time, and money into it to make it a safe dwelling. And if we’d have never opened up walls and found those electrical issues we wouldn’t have been safe for the ignorance of the problems. I’m really amazed the previous owner didn’t have shorts or even a fire, honestly.

Oh, and we took out the double basin sink and put in a deep single basin at my request . I have really, really big pots and pans and am tired of fighting a sink not wide or deep enough to wash them well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
those taxes seem high and if it does get re assessed it will be higher whoa ...that would kill me right there . But hey if you don't mind the high taxes and the possibility of re assessment then go for it .
Taxes are high in IL. You may as well just tell them they should not live in IL. But not everyone can choose where they want to live, and the Chicago area is so awesome, that many people live there despite the high taxes. I'm assuming that there are reasons why the buyer wants to live in the Chicago area, so telling them they shouldn't isn't helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
Well I used to like my house but now I’m becoming ashamed. We bought a house similar down the street last year. It has white trim though but the kitchen is similar. We don’t have kids just a dog. I have no plans to rent it to anyone or do any updating at this point.
Don't be ashamed. All that matters is that you like it. I have an aunt who has a kitchen that looks similar. She doesn't love it, but it's not worth the money to her to change it because she would rather spend her money on other things, like travel.

Quote:
Wow it’s already under contract and it’s only been in the market a day. It was foreclosed and the owners moved out last week.
That is, indeed, fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ha!

Apparently not everyone thought it was dated ...
Or maybe they did, but bought it despite thinking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's not sold, it's contingent, that's worse than pending, but it it's being sold as a foreclosure there is a different process than a regular sale.
Contingent means there is some contingency in the offer. The process is not necessarily different -- it depends on where in the foreclosure process the home is. Buying it at auction, yes, that is definitely a different process. But if it's been through auction and somebody owns it, then the process isn't that different.

Quote:
If you google the address it says it was foreclosed in April and sold by the owners and the sherrif to a 3rd party. Is it normal for it to be listed for sale a month after that?
Ah. It certainly can be. My guess is the bank owns it. Lots of foreclosures don't have a lot of bidders and very commonly the bank ends up being the only bidder. Sometimes investors will buy the home, fix it up, and flip it, but that doesn't appear to have been the case here, especially since the previous occupants just moved out last week. The bank probably thinks this is salable as it is, for more than the judgement amount. So that's what they're doing.

With houses that have gone into foreclosure (whether it's just at the beginning of the process or whether it's at the end), the owners have likely been having financial problems for quite some time. There is likely to be a lot of deferred maintenance and doing things like upgrading an appliance or changing the backsplash isn't going to make it onto the "to-do" list. All the incoming money is likely going toward trying to pay the mortgage or some other financial obligation.

The biggest difference from what you might think of as a "typical" sale from owners who live in the home is that the new owner (again, most likely the bank) isn't going to negotiate much -- if you see that something needs to be fixed, like the hot water heater does not work, or the roof needs an immediate fix, they're not going to fix it. They might accept a price reduction, but you'll be the one fixing any issues that you find upon inspection.

This particular home seems like a decent enough place -- it is definitely dated, particularly the kitchen and one of the bathrooms, but those could be changed, relatively easily. The price seems low given the town and the school district (but maybe that's what BG duplexes are going for these days.) Whether this home is a good purchase really depends upon what else is in the market. If I had kids and wanted to be in southern Lake County, and this was the price I could afford to pay, I'd certainly consider it. I think it's better to get into the house in an area where you want to be and worry about the things you can change later. Here, yes, I'd like to change the kitchen. But if I could only spend that amount of money, I'd consider buying that home and then redoing the kitchen at some later point in time when I had the money to do so. In the meantime, it is functional, it's not that bad looking, and you might be able to do some things to make it look a little better in the meantime. (Maybe paint, maybe changing the stove -- it looks like a black dishwasher and bisque stove. I don't see the fridge or what the rest of the kitchen looks like.)

Old 06-02-2018, 12:47 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
For the preferred price range and school district, I do not think your cousin should be so picky. The duplex looks fine, and might stand some cosmetic changes to suit one's own tastes, but looks to be tidy and functional. While I may not like carpet or track lighting, there are those that do, and I personally do not like grainy oak cabinets, there are people who do, and it's an afternoon's project to sand and paint the cabinets to refresh it if she so chose.

I do not like the HGTV trends, and the way all the shows push the same thing -- shiplap, stainless, granite, or it's public housing. It's not that people want these things on their own, but they have no imagination to personalize the space as their own.

Obviously, your cousin missed the boat, since the house is under contract in a day. Given the makeup of the neighborhood with many different ethnicities who have strong family ties, the prospective buyer may be related to someone in the neighborhood and was waiting for the chance to buy a property in close proximity.

Outdated? No, it's functional and perfectly respectable, but lacks personality. I do not see how she'd need to spend tens of thousands to change out a few things to make the property reflective of her own tastes. Buy the school district and the location, and it's very difficult to go wrong when both are good. Now, if it had mint green walls, pale rose carpeting, peach bathrooms, and the entire stereotypical Floridian pastel theme, that could be outdated decor, but the property would still function well for a contemporary household.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-02-2018, 08:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Says you. You don't get to make that determination for other people.
Au contraire. Given that the OP asks explicitly, "Do you think this place is outdated?", I think I do get to make that determination.

It is a general principle of human languages that when someone asks a question, they are seeking an answer, unless they are uttering a rhetorical question which the OP's question clearly isn't.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:00 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Au contraire. Given that the OP asks explicitly, "Do you think this place is outdated?", I think I do get to make that determination.

It is a general principle of human languages that when someone asks a question, they are seeking an answer, unless they are uttering a rhetorical question which the OP's question clearly isn't.
True. And just because something is in the price range in the right location/district doesn’t mean that people want to buy it. Some people are happy to rent because they don’t have to worry about imminent future expenses like a new roof or HVAC even if rent is slightly higher.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
True. And just because something is in the price range in the right location/district doesn’t mean that people want to buy it. Some people are happy to rent because they don’t have to worry about imminent future expenses like a new roof or HVAC even if rent is slightly higher.
But, the buyer in question IS apparently in the market to buy. If that person did not want to buy, they would just say that they prefer to rent because they don't want the maintenance expenses. They wouldn't need to say it was too small and too outdated so they didn't want to buy that particular house.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
No the kitchen isn’t modern but I think it’s fine. Mine isn’t much different and I’m fine with it. My cousin checked it out and said it was too small and outdated. It’s duplex with no association and I think it’s nice. It’s a good neighborhood and the best option in her price range to be able to keep her son and daughter in the school district.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_25094046/
Well..if it is affordable....maybe you can fix it up some day when you can afford it.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
No the kitchen isn’t modern but I think it’s fine. Mine isn’t much different and I’m fine with it. My cousin checked it out and said it was too small and outdated. It’s duplex with no association and I think it’s nice. It’s a good neighborhood and the best option in her price range to be able to keep her son and daughter in the school district.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_25094046/
No, it isn't updated but I have seen a lot, lot worse.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:44 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
New kitchen, new bathroom, paint trim white and personally don't like carpet.

Other than that, it's alright.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:44 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
ever since HGTV took over and brainwashed all the viewers, when people sold thier homes, they didnt update everything in thier homes to the nearest millionth of a second.

if people didnt update thier homes for themselves, sure as hell they are not going to update it for a potential buyer.

broom swept is satisfactory.

people didnt even paint before they moved, you moved and the painting was the responsibilty of the buyer.

and thats the way its supposed to be.

and to answer the original postr, no the house isnt updated, doesnt make it a bad house though.
its fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate