Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM

65 posts, read 35,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You can do the inspection first.
Our agent said no, The idea is I'm guessing, is to make the offer first to beat out other buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
The way I'm reading this, I'm guessing the property has a manufactured home with a power pole with the meter on it which is loose. The electric company has nothing to do with the power pole for a manufactured home. They only run to the meter pole and it's the homeowner's responsibility from there.

Unless there were already competing offers I have no idea why the OP offered more than asking. Realtor gets a bigger commission, though. Buy a homeowner's warranty (or get your realtor to pay for it) and hope the A/C croaks the first year so you can get it replaced.
Our agent said the offer had to be made before the inspection, I still don't understand how without knowing it's condition. Is the agent wrong? HOME WARRANTIES: "warranty claims can be denied because the company says the problem was pre-existing Or the claim is denied because the consumer can't prove that the broken item was properly maintained" SO SAYS CONSUMER REPORTS SEPTEMBER 06 2014
,under the title "WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID HOME WARRANTY CHOICES" which brings up, how can they warranty something they didn't sell??? I think it's better to put money aside or start saving.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson24 View Post
Our agent said no, The idea is I'm guessing, is to make the offer first to beat out other buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson24 View Post
Our agent said the offer had to be made before the inspection, I still don't understand how without knowing it's condition. Is the agent wrong?

In our area, you can do a "pre-inspection" but you need the written permission of the sellers to do it. Sometimes it makes sense to do it that way... most times, it's better to have the house under contract before spending money and time on inspection.

Quote:

HOME WARRANTIES: "warranty claims can be denied because the company says the problem was pre-existing Or the claim is denied because the consumer can't prove that the broken item was properly maintained" SO SAYS CONSUMER REPORTS SEPTEMBER 06 2014
,under the title "WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID HOME WARRANTY CHOICES" which brings up, how can they warranty something they didn't sell??? I think it's better to put money aside or start saving.
Home warranties are often viewed as a way for sellers to spend $500 on something that will give the buyer peace of mind about working, but aged appliances. Most buyers don't continue the warranty past the first year.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 765,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
All power poles are installed and maintained by the power company, no matter where they are located. There are easements on the property to allow them access. There is usually a small plaque with the pole number on it. The homeowners may have removed the guy wire themselves, but that is not allowed. Otherwise, perhaps it slipped loose and they also did not realize that the power company would come fix it for free. As soon as you buy the place just call the power company and they will inspect/repair it. That is one thing you need to know if you are moving to a rural property. There will be more. Maybe you are not ready for this type of living?
^^^ This. Provided there is overhead service coming off the road (which there appears to be), then this is all good info. Simply call the utility company and ask them how they can help you.

Funny thing.. at our last house (rural location) the feed came in off the gravel road where the transformer was and the pole on the property itself leaned over like crazy. We called the utility and they set another cut-off pole against the first one instead of just replacing it. Then they pulled the sag because the line drooped only about 10' from the ground. And, we discovered had no utility easement on record either. Weird situations happen in rural areas sometimes.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:24 PM

So it would be good to get the HVAC system checked before buying, right? Thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 01:38 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
If I intended to hire an inspector (didn't on every house) I made the contract contingent upon inspection. I know this may vary by state; that was in VA and NC and seemed commonly done there.

This means if inspection reveals something you feel is untenable, contract is voided.

You can put contingencies in a contract; that way you can get out of it if the contingency isn't met.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 06-05-2018 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
^^^ This. Provided there is overhead service coming off the road (which there appears to be), then this is all good info. Simply call the utility company and ask them how they can help you.

Funny thing.. at our last house (rural location) the feed came in off the gravel road where the transformer was and the pole on the property itself leaned over like crazy. We called the utility and they set another cut-off pole against the first one instead of just replacing it. Then they pulled the sag because the line drooped only about 10' from the ground. And, we discovered had no utility easement on record either. Weird situations happen in rural areas sometimes.
It's amazing how people can make such adamant statements about practices in areas with which they are not familiar. Location, location, location folks - it's different everywhere. It is even more amazing that even when the OP confirms with the utility who has the responsibility for the specific installation people will back the person who made the incorrect statement to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate