Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:53 PM

266 posts, read 245,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I'd recommend a walk thru the morning of closing, and if house isn't vacant and broom clean refuse to close.
The walk thru happened in the morning, that is when my daughter and agents became aware of this problem.

Refusing to close could have been an option of course, but my daughter was essentially homeless at this point with the closure of their other home that morning. With 2 small children and animals, hard decisions were made in a short amount of time.

Right or wrong, they opted to help them move their belongings into a trailer/camper on the property.
My daughter did mention the woman was crying the whole time. The situation was difficult and sad on so many levels.

I really do appreciate everyone's response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Early in my career I was closing a home on a Tuesday morning. As we walked out of the closing the Seller asked me to call the Buyers agent and tell them he would be out of the house the following week. I nearly choked and explained it was no longer his house and he should have been out before we closed.

He had the nerve to ask if I minded going over to the house and help his wife pack boxes and help her move since he had to go to work.

I learned that day to not take for granted things you and I would consider common sense.
Oh my goodness! This is one of those lessons for us as well.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 PM

569 posts, read 440,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
The walk thru happened in the morning, that is when my daughter and agents became aware of this problem.

Refusing to close could have been an option of course, but my daughter was essentially homeless at this point with the closure of their other home that morning. With 2 small children and animals, hard decisions were made in a short amount of time.

Right or wrong, they opted to help them move their belongings into a trailer/camper on the property.
My daughter did mention the woman was crying the whole time. The situation was difficult and sad on so many levels.

I really do appreciate everyone's response.
That's sad. I bet it really put a damper on their excitement to move into the new home plus it must have also been a very long day moving someone out before they could move in.

We closed on a new home last June and were very disappointed on move-in that the home had not been cleaned. We didn't expect professionally cleaned but it would have been nice if things were vacuumed and dusted, counters cleaned, and no hair in bathrooms. We had also closed on the home we were moving from that morning so didn't have a lot of choice but to move in and deal with it.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:42 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
It seems that the seller's agent might have done the right thing, given that their client was breaking a contract to have the house empty and broom clean at closing, and pitched in by hiring some help or getting her kids engaged to help the old folks. It definitely is not 'right' that the sellers were not gone at closing, but as explained, I can sort of understand.

Your daughter was a good citizen and very gracious to pitch in. Making a legal fiasco out of it would be just that, fiasco.

Behind you now. A laugh over cocktails. Part of life: Every day is an adventure; some are more adventurous than others.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:49 PM

569 posts, read 440,247 times
I'm curious as to what happened after that? Did they have difficulty getting the sellers and their camper/trailer relocated or was it smooth sailing?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I'm curious as to what happened after that? Did they have difficulty getting the sellers and their camper/trailer relocated or was it smooth sailing?
Well, funny you ask. The closing happened this past Wednesday. From my understanding, they were to pick up today at 10 AM, and from what she told me this morning, it had not happened.

The couple was moving to Maine, and whatever the plans were, fell through.

I'm guessing she is getting this information from the agents?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It seems that the seller's agent might have done the right thing, given that their client was breaking a contract to have the house empty and broom clean at closing, and pitched in by hiring some help or getting her kids engaged to help the old folks. It definitely is not 'right' that the sellers were not gone at closing, but as explained, I can sort of understand.

Your daughter was a good citizen and very gracious to pitch in. Making a legal fiasco out of it would be just that, fiasco.

Behind you now. A laugh over cocktails. Part of life: Every day is an adventure; some are more adventurous than others.
Just to be clear the seller's agent did not do anything. My daughter/fiancé moved the elderly couples belongings.

Unfortunately, it won't be behind them for some time. They have a house and yard that still has the couples belongings while they try to move in and clean the mess.

It was an terrible series of events for everyone involved.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
That's sad. I bet it really put a damper on their excitement to move into the new home plus it must have also been a very long day moving someone out before they could move in.

We closed on a new home last June and were very disappointed on move-in that the home had not been cleaned. We didn't expect professionally cleaned but it would have been nice if things were vacuumed and dusted, counters cleaned, and no hair in bathrooms. We had also closed on the home we were moving from that morning so didn't have a lot of choice but to move in and deal with it.
It really has. I feel terrible and a bit helpless being so far away.

We moved in our home in November, and same as you, we were grumbling about a few things.
This situation has certainly put a new perspective on things.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:28 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
Just to be clear the seller's agent did not do anything. My daughter/fiancé moved the elderly couples belongings.

Unfortunately, it won't be behind them for some time. They have a house and yard that still has the couples belongings while they try to move in and clean the mess.

It was an terrible series of events for everyone involved.
You should have had the old people sign something that said they were abandoning their property and you were not responsible for it in case their kids claim you threw something of theirs away.

So did the old people go to the closing?

Trust me if you had told the seller's agent that you were not going to close until they were out she would have helped get them out.

plus did your daughter's agent not let her know that they had asked for extra time, that's a red flag and a warning right there.

Are the old people still living in the trailer on the property?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You should have had the old people sign something that said they were abandoning their property and you were not responsible for it in case their kids claim you threw something of theirs away.

So did the old people go to the closing?

Trust me if you had told the seller's agent that you were not going to close until they were out she would have helped get them out.

plus did your daughter's agent not let her know that they had asked for extra time, that's a red flag and a warning right there.

Are the old people still living in the trailer on the property?
Yes, the couple went to the closing.

My daughter was aware they asked for extra time weeks ago, and her agent told their agent no. Many people ask to move closings up/back depending on life events. There was nothing that would have led her to believe they had not packed up the home.

The couple are not on the property, some of their belongings are.

The purpose of my post wasn't to get advice after the fact. I am sure my daughter will look back and have a lot of shoulda couldas. As I stated, it was an awful series of events for everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate