Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 04:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I believe he was referencing a line from Back to the Future. Biff says "make like a tree and get outta here," and it is funny because, yes, as you point out it is supposed to be "leave," which is the play on words that connects it to "tree."
Ha no wonder, I am a film snob and avoid Hwood films. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
I believe he was referencing a line from Back to the Future. Biff says "make like a tree and get outta here," and it is funny because, yes, as you point out it is supposed to be "leave," which is the play on words that connects it to "tree."
Yes.

Part of the comedy is it's such a cliche, people are waiting for the other shoe to drop. The deliverer addresses this with a quick diversion.

It used to bother me so much when I'd hear the first part to these phrases and then the person would stop halfway though:

"Do unto others!"
"The grass is always greener!"

Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You mean if you didn't have collision insurance nor uninsured underinsured coverage?
I had both of those as they are required in my state....

But the car that was wrecked was only 2 years into the 5 year loan. I had equity so I got a decent check from my insurance company to put down towards a new car...but it definitely wasn't enough to buy anything derivable...so I had to take out another auto-loan to purchase the new car.....while my mortgage was in under-writing.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Any way to stop them from pulled this childish garbage?
Pay cash.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
Ha no wonder, I am a film snob and avoid Hwood films. Thanks
Film snob or no, how have you never seen Back to the Future?

Old 06-07-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Film snob or no, how have you never seen Back to the Future?
I'd rather have a hot needle in my eye.

There are many well known films I haven't seen; I'm elitist like that.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:44 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:

How do you know if you haven't seen it?

There are plenty of films that I don't necessarily think are great films, but for one reason or another have become such a fixture in popular culture that you miss a lot of references if you're completely unfamiliar with them.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
How do you know if you haven't seen it?

There are plenty of films that I don't necessarily think are great films, but for one reason or another have become such a fixture in popular culture that you miss a lot of references if you're completely unfamiliar with them.
Eesh I don't want to derail this into a film critique thread; I've never seen a rap concert or a Mary Kay presentation either but I know I would loathe it.

As to missing references, hasn't yet adversely affected me in life.

Where is the 60% ROI guy who is the reason I keep checking this thread...

Old 06-07-2018, 08:59 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:

Where is the 60% ROI guy who is the reason I keep checking this thread...
Probably out flipping crystal, which is about the only way to get 60% returns.

Oh. And you should check out a rap concert some time. Expand your horizons.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Quote:

You are missing out. Back to the future is a tragedy about Biff, the only character in his suburban town who is cursed with the knowledge of its eventual decline over the next few decades. He is a high school student and so is limited in what course of action he can take.

He decides to try to change the town's fate by marginalizing the influence of some of the town's inhabitants who will be responsible for its decline, but his efforts a thrown awry by an unexpected arrival of a transfer student. In a macabre science fiction twist, it turns out that the transfer student is a time-traveling descendant of one of his classmates. A narcissist with an Oedipus complex who summarily decides to team up with the scientist responsible for his arrival to thwart Biff's efforts.

Biff confronts the time-traveling antagonist in an effort to scare him away but he underestimates the severity of the time traveler's mental instability and this eventually backfires. From there, Biff is systematically robbed of his personal goals, future plans, social standing and love interest. His plans are thwarted and social status in the small town is destroyed. Biff is left with no way to reverse the damage because the time traveler disappears back to the future.

Interestingly, the movie tells the story from the time traveler's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate